Any Dirt Rally players here?

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
This is my current addiction.
I have two other friends on Steam, and we're playing it an hour or two each night.
We'll set up a 3 or 4 stage race, and get to the "Start Race" button and hold... then ( using teamspeak), have a countdown and all take off at roughly the same time.
It's the best way we know to "play together"... and it works well enough that we are having a blast.

We're happy if one of us breaks into the top 1000's timewise.

If you wanna join us and try it out, PM me and i'll give you our details.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Dirt Rally is awesome. Best DIRT game by far.

I really want to buy a wheel just for this game, because a controller doesn't really do it justice.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I thoroughly enjoy Dirt Rally and play for an hour or so every day, usually the online events. When I play for such a short time each day, I only get better little by little, but the game is very much like the dirt roads I drive on where I live, only I have a pickup truck, not a rally car. It's a great driving game, really fun to play.

Not a huge fan of the multiplayer rallycross, which to me is like the online demolition derby's of Forza and pretty much any other online multiplayer racing game. If your friends all do the daily, weekly and monthly events, that should give your gang some good competition, especially the monthly events, a real challenge.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I play it a lot. Typically I am in the 1100 range for rankings. Nothing spectacular, but its fun.

The "racing" is quite a lot better than Dirt 3 was (I skipped showdown).

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
I definitely want to try Rally out. It's less Blocky right?

Well, like DiRT to Dirt 3, there's someone screaming at you, but in this one, it's the co-driver and the pacenotes and not Travis Pastrami or whoever.

Lol. It's a great game if you want a pure rally experience without Gymkhana or fireworks, etc.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I just tried playing it again recently and the video keeps freezing. The game itself isn't frozen (sound and controls still work) but video is frozen. I stopped playing a while back because of the crashes. I was hoping the game would be fixed by now...

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Well, like DiRT to Dirt 3, there's someone screaming at you, but in this one, it's the co-driver and the pacenotes and not Travis Pastrami or whoever.

Lol. It's a great game if you want a pure rally experience without Gymkhana or fireworks, etc.

Nice, less Blocky Pastrami is always better. :thumbsup:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I just tried playing it again recently and the video keeps freezing. The game itself isn't frozen (sound and controls still work) but video is frozen. I stopped playing a while back because of the crashes. I was hoping the game would be fixed by now...

What driver version are you running? Have you tried disabling CF? The game runs fine for the vast majority of players. If you can narrow down the issue, send in a report to CodeMasters, they definitely listen to players.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I have the game installed but haven't played it yet. I have a new neighbor downstairs so using my G27 is pretty much done :(.

Also, the game just got a 17.3GB update today.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I have the game installed but haven't played it yet. I have a new neighbor downstairs so using my G27 is pretty much done :(.

Also, the game just got a 17.3GB update today.

es the new update (from yesterday actually) adds a bunch of new cars and the original gravel version of pikes peak. These are features that are included in the console version, which are being given to PC players for free.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Is their a framerate cap on this game? If so is it removable? Like for 144hz panels?

You can turn on v-sync if you like, to lock the FPS at your screen refresh (144 is supported, although my machine is not fast enough to push 144, it lets me select it), but there is no artificial cap of any kind.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007

You must disable Crossfire in the game's profile to fix the freezing. At some point, the profile could be changed to something that did work -- Dirt 2 -- and you'd get the extra perf, but now disabling is the only way.

Edit: Lol, so it crashed on the first attempt for the day, but worked afterward...

Last edited:

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
You must disable Crossfire in the game's profile to fix the freezing. At some point, the profile could be changed to something that did work -- Dirt 2 -- and you'd get the extra perf, but now disabling is the only way.

Or, you could get an old computer with a crappy video card like mine.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

Edit: Lol, so it crashed on the first attempt for the day, but worked afterward...

I don't have XFire enabled though...and I'm still getting it. Game is unplayable for me. Tried all the fixes suggested on the sites I found but no luck. Crappy thing is I was not getting these freezes before. Maybe it's a Windows 10 thing.

EDIT: Looks like it may actually be a GPU overclock thing. It's perfectly stable running Witcher 3 and other games but I lowered the overclock and have not got the freezing yet so maybe it's that.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I've been playing Dirt Rally since it was in pre-release on Steam and I love it. The new update was kind of a joke though... 17GB download and only a few new cars and one track variant added. WTF?

The game is real good though, and like all of the previous Dirt games it runs pretty flawlessly. I just wish there were a lot more tracks, as the car selection is decent.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I've been playing Dirt Rally since it was in pre-release on Steam and I love it. The new update was kind of a joke though... 17GB download and only a few new cars and one track variant added. WTF?

The game is real good though, and like all of the previous Dirt games it runs pretty flawlessly. I just wish there were a lot more tracks, as the car selection is decent.

I think they made some fixes to existing tracks, which would explain the really large size.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Gotta love that Codies EGO engine! I should run it again w/o the 144fps limit in afterburner?

peBz92X.jpg
Q8eqLbK.jpg