Any difficulty in installing swifttech mc-462? I had the pal6065, and it was hard...

Junior77

Feb 8, 2001
I'm seeing that the switftech comes with mounts and nuts and stuff. What the heck is that about? What happened to just clips?

Garion

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2001
The Swiftech is so heavy that it can't mount with traditional clips - It would probably break off the lugs if you weren't careful about it. To mount it, you must remove your motherboard from the case, mount some nuts on the 4 holes around your CPU (meant for this purpose), re-install your motherboard then install the heatsink. Sounds complex, but the only way to really high performance (without making your PC sound like a 747) is lots of surface area which equates to high weight.

From what I hear (mine is in the mail) the Swiftech is great for LAN boxes - You can move your PC without any worry of the fan coming off and doing major damage.

Poke around and read some reviews. Sounds like it's worth it.

- G

Junior77

Feb 8, 2001
Thx Garion. I was concerned, because i read a review saying that the holes in the kk266 were to small for the washers that come with the swiftech. I just wanted to make sure it will fit just fine.

Also, I'm not to good with thermal paste so my question is, Will thermal tape do just fine? Do I put the thermal tape on the heatsink, then mount the heatsink? Does the tape need to be the exact size of the core?

Courtland

Jun 11, 2001
If you already shelled out 80 bucks for top notch cooling, theres really no reason why you shouldnt use thermal paste. either buy some arctic silver or use the tube that comes with the swiftech, but dont hurt yourself by using a pad.

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
If you had a difficult time installing the Alpha, I would carefully research the MC462 before I purchased it if I were you. You are aware that the motherboard has to be removed to install the MC462 right? It will fit the IWill KK266/R just fine, just follow the instructions well.

The MC462 has a very nicely finished, almost mirror like bottom. I personally would not use a thermal pad on it. A good quality thermal grease such as Arctic Silver is the way to go. Just put some Saran Wrap around your finger and place just enough thermal grease on the core to smooth it on in a thin layer. The Saran Wrap on your finger will help in smoothing it evenly, and also eliminate getting oil from your skin mixed with the thermal grease.

EDIT: I just saw the post above mine letting you know that the mobo has to be removed. :) The review that you read was correct about the washers not fitting the holes in the KK266, but on that board, and any other that has metal lined (grounded) mounting holes, you do not need the washers. I have installed an MC462 on the KK266/R without washers with no problems.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
You don't need the shoulder washers on KK266, or any other mobo that has grounded socket holes. (that means the 4 holes around the CPU Socket have a metal ring around the outside of them.) On other boards, they may not fit the smaller holes. DO NOT install the shoulder washer on these boards either, if it doesn't sit flush with the mobo.