Any difference with a 4 cylinder engine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Fraggable
4 cylinders are extremely variable, it depends on the car itself and the size of the engine. My mom drives a 02 Stratus SXT with a I4 and it's a beast, it could stay in pace with my V6 Mustang with 190HP. Now I drive a 07 Malibu with a 217HP V6 and there's no way her I4 could stand up to it.

You're probably just feeling the huge loss in power. Enjoy the better mileage.

a civic DX in manual could keep up with those older V6 mustangs

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: funboy42
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
A lot of 4 bangers will have as much (even more) horsepower then a lot of entry level V6's, but beacuse 4 cylinders usually are lacking a lot of low end torque they 'feel' slower then a V6 powered car might. For instance, my father has a 97 Sable with a 140 hp V6, my wife's old Eclipse had a 145 hp 4 cylinder. The Eclipse is probably faster, but the Sable feels better, like it has more instant power.

Thats because it is called torque ;) You can have all the horsepower in the world without the torque behind it it doesnt mean jack crap. Why i got a kick out of all the people bashing my old firebird, ewwwww it only has 170 horsepower out of a v8 its sloooooooow, no it had 255 ft lb of torque which made it go like a bat out of hell :)

Diesel engines the same way, semi may have like 200 HP but pushes out 400 ft lb of torque. So the 4 cyl may have more HP then the V6 but, the V6 has more TQ that gives the car more get up and go.

Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.

- M4H

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: lilcam
no clue whats in the honda but yes i had a 2.3L supercharger in the mazda until someone rammed into me. the tranny was going and oil was leaking so good riddance to that car.

I wasn't asking you. :p

Also, turbocharger to supercharger in 1.0 posts? :p

Year and trim of the Accord and I can tell you, but I'm guessing an older style, so probably the F22.

- M4H
Mine has an F22A4 in it, no real complaints, it works :p

OP - maybe the gearing is different and so you don't feel as big of a change in speed without changing gears? I know it's a bit drawn out, but something to consider.

Did you get an automatic and manual?

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
i just had my friend test drive it and on initial acceleration it shakes so theres something definitely wrong wrong the transmission.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I've seen this arguement plenty of times. It is never short, and usually becomse a flame fest. :p My Spyder has no low end torque, but when I had a big turbo, with my after market cams and sheet metal intake manifold, that car absolutely screamed from 5000 rpm to 8000rpm. Torque certainly makes a car more fun to drive, atleast in stop light races. But, low end grunt doesn't mean a whole lot when you shift at redline and are instantly at 4500 RPM in the next gear. I think everyone can agree that a car that has a good balance of low end but with the ability to pull nicely all the way through the engines range is best.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
I have only owned one 4cyl vehicle. I won't own another one any time soon. :)

Last four vehicles have been V8s. :)

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
Yes. Something is wrong...

I went from a Honda CRV 4 banger to a Jeep Cherokee I6, and there is a power difference...

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006
i just had my friend test drive it and on initial acceleration it shakes so theres something definitely wrong wrong the transmission.

no shake in my accord i will bet it is a tranny problem..

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002

That might be part of your "slowness" feeling.

The other part is probably going

From a:
Supercharged V6 (210 hp @ 5500 rpm, 210 ft·lbf @ 3500 rpm)

To a:
Normally Aspirated I4 (160 hp @ 5500 rpm, 161 ft·lbf @ 4500 rpm )

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
4 cylinders are for chumps, torque is where it's at.

/Has a 4 cylinder...isn't slow

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
no clue whats in the honda but yes i had a 2.3L supercharger in the mazda until someone rammed into me. the tranny was going and oil was leaking so good riddance to that car.

I wasn't asking you. :p

Also, turbocharger to supercharger in 1.0 posts? :p

Year and trim of the Accord and I can tell you, but I'm guessing an older style, so probably the F22.

- M4H

Except the Honda has a bigger wing. ;)

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

I've seen this arguement plenty of times. It is never short, and usually becomse a flame fest. :p My Spyder has no low end torque, but when I had a big turbo, with my after market cams and sheet metal intake manifold, that car absolutely screamed from 5000 rpm to 8000rpm. Torque certainly makes a car more fun to drive, atleast in stop light races. But, low end grunt doesn't mean a whole lot when you shift at redline and are instantly at 4500 RPM in the next gear. I think everyone can agree that a car that has a good balance of low end but with the ability to pull nicely all the way through the engines range is best.

coffee can manifold ftw

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: OS

coffee can manifold ftw

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

That's badass, man.

- M4H

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
A lot of 4 bangers will have as much (even more) horsepower then a lot of entry level V6's, but beacuse 4 cylinders usually are lacking a lot of low end torque they 'feel' slower then a V6 powered car might. For instance, my father has a 97 Sable with a 140 hp V6, my wife's old Eclipse had a 145 hp 4 cylinder. The Eclipse is probably faster, but the Sable feels better, like it has more instant power.

Thats because it is called torque ;) You can have all the horsepower in the world without the torque behind it it doesnt mean jack crap. Why i got a kick out of all the people bashing my old firebird, ewwwww it only has 170 horsepower out of a v8 its sloooooooow, no it had 255 ft lb of torque which made it go like a bat out of hell :)

Diesel engines the same way, semi may have like 200 HP but pushes out 400 ft lb of torque. So the 4 cyl may have more HP then the V6 but, the V6 has more TQ that gives the car more get up and go. Which is what the OP is feeling right now. When you go buying a car forget the HP numbers look for the TQ numbers and where it kicks in at max. You want max HP at high RPM but you want max TQ at the Lowest RPM you can get and thats really where abouts you want to be shifting at and not red lining the damn car waiting for it to explode unless your driving a 4 cyl ricer.

You're wrong...it was the screaming chicken on the hood that made it so fast. ;)

BTW-A WRX-STI (2.5l turbocharged 4-cylinder) with 300hp/300lb ft torque will do 13 second 1/4 mile and 0-60 in under 5 seconds. A Lotus Elise (1.8l NA 4 cylinder) will also run 13s and 0-60 in under 5 seconds. I'd take either of those ricers over any Firebird.

Oh, and I've owned muscle cars too...they handle like sh!t compared to the two cars I just mentioned.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..you need a trunk lid whale tale for a 10% boost in power. and you get to look at it in your rear view mirror.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Diesel engines the same way, semi may have like 200 HP but pushes out 400 ft lb of torque. So the 4 cyl may have more HP then the V6 but, the V6 has more TQ that gives the car more get up and go. Which is what the OP is feeling right now. When you go buying a car forget the HP numbers look for the TQ numbers and where it kicks in at max. You want max HP at high RPM but you want max TQ at the Lowest RPM you can get and thats really where abouts you want to be shifting at and not red lining the damn car waiting for it to explode unless your driving a 4 cyl ricer.

You're wrong...it was the screaming chicken on the hood that made it so fast. ;)

BTW-A WRX-STI (2.5l turbocharged 4-cylinder) with 300hp/300lb ft torque will do 13 second 1/4 mile and 0-60 in under 5 seconds. A Lotus Elise (1.8l NA 4 cylinder) will also run 13s and 0-60 in under 5 seconds. I'd take either of those ricers over any Firebird.

Oh, and I've owned muscle cars too...they handle like sh!t compared to the two cars I just mentioned.

But the Firebird cost like $1000. I can have whole garage full of firebirdssssssssssss for the cost of one Lotus!

Lawlz

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I bet a $1000 firebird with $39000 in mods can beat the elise.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

- M4H

kinda sorta. it's a long flat torque curve that wins races (because no force is applied when you're changing gear). a high horsepower figure at a high rpm is a good indicator of that. an F1 car's torque curve is very long and very flat (~12,000 rpms within 90%, or about 300+ ft lbs of torque from 5000 rpm to 18000 rpm, at least, with the V10s they used to use).

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Is this an automatic or manual? If manual, maybe you're launching the car at too low of an RPM... when you're going maybe 20mph, drop it in 5th, you'll get that same sound of the engine struggling.