Any difference with a 4 cylinder engine

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Maybe it's because I'm so used to driving a 6 cylinder car but the one I just picked up feels like it has no power!!!! It's a 4 cylinder honda accord. I think the transmission feels funny but then again what do I know. my friend thinks I'm paranoid.

we shall see when i take it into the mechanic.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: lilcam
Maybe it's because I'm so used to driving a 6 cylinder car but the one I just picked up feels like it has no power!!!! It's a 4 cylinder honda accord. I think the transmission feels funny but then again what do I know. my friend thinks I'm paranoid.

I think I found your problem ;)

What are you "used to driving"?

- M4H

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
eh, my current 4 cylinder car has more power and torque than my previous 6 cylinder car (also gets worse mileage on the hwy)

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: ElFenix
eh, my current 4 cylinder car has more power and torque than my previous 6 cylinder car (also gets worse mileage on the hwy)

Motors in question, out of curiousity?

My guess is 2.4L I4 GM/DCX or 2.3L Mazda vs 2.xL DCX. :)

- M4H

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
no clue whats in the honda but yes i had a 2.3L supercharger in the mazda until someone rammed into me. the tranny was going and oil was leaking so good riddance to that car.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

- M4H

Vulcan V6 and QR25DE

Jan 31, 2002
no clue whats in the honda but yes i had a 2.3L supercharger in the mazda until someone rammed into me. the tranny was going and oil was leaking so good riddance to that car.

I wasn't asking you. :p

Also, turbocharger to supercharger in 1.0 posts? :p

Year and trim of the Accord and I can tell you, but I'm guessing an older style, so probably the F22.

- M4H

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
My parent has an auto 98 Accord EX trim. It picks up ok, but the tranny is weird. It switches gear at the wrong time, the car jerk. Also drove an 99 Accord Special EX with manual with some intake/exhaust mod, it picks up ok. But never would you feel the same when you add turbo to your engine. Obviously, the driving characteristic is going to be different.

Jan 31, 2002
Vulcan V6 and QR25DE

Damn. Right idea, but wrong mfr's. I decided to go with the domestics based on common purchases. :p

My wife likes the Taurus for some odd reason ... but I'd rather the Duratec than the Vulcan. :p

- M4H

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
i dont think ill ever get a 4cyl vehicle again. it was a stgretch for me when i bought a dodge ram 1500 with a 318 in it. im still debating whether i want to boost it or not. as for whether there was a power loss, ive heard that some 4 cyl can actually have more seemed power than V6, but even some of the V6 ive driven seemed a bit lacking.

zeruty

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2000
A 4 cylinder that is WEAKER than a V6??? OMG you gotta be kidding me!
I think I'm gonna refer this one to the Mythbusters cause I don't believe you.

:disgust:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
A lot of 4 bangers will have as much (even more) horsepower then a lot of entry level V6's, but beacuse 4 cylinders usually are lacking a lot of low end torque they 'feel' slower then a V6 powered car might. For instance, my father has a 97 Sable with a 140 hp V6, my wife's old Eclipse had a 145 hp 4 cylinder. The Eclipse is probably faster, but the Sable feels better, like it has more instant power.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

- M4H

Vulcan V6 and QR25DE

QR is an awesome 4 cylinder, save for the precat problems it was having earlier

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006

i just got an 07 accord ex with a 4 banger. it has pretty good pickup but nothing compared to the 6 banger model that we test drove..

but it cost less and gets better MPG..........

-fish

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It's not the number of cylinders, it's the displacement that makes the difference.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
4 cylinders are extremely variable, it depends on the car itself and the size of the engine. My mom drives a 02 Stratus SXT with a I4 and it's a beast, it could stay in pace with my V6 Mustang with 190HP. Now I drive a 07 Malibu with a 217HP V6 and there's no way her I4 could stand up to it.

You're probably just feeling the huge loss in power. Enjoy the better mileage.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
A lot of 4 bangers will have as much (even more) horsepower then a lot of entry level V6's, but beacuse 4 cylinders usually are lacking a lot of low end torque they 'feel' slower then a V6 powered car might. For instance, my father has a 97 Sable with a 140 hp V6, my wife's old Eclipse had a 145 hp 4 cylinder. The Eclipse is probably faster, but the Sable feels better, like it has more instant power.

Thats because it is called torque ;) You can have all the horsepower in the world without the torque behind it it doesnt mean jack crap. Why i got a kick out of all the people bashing my old firebird, ewwwww it only has 170 horsepower out of a v8 its sloooooooow, no it had 255 ft lb of torque which made it go like a bat out of hell :)

Diesel engines the same way, semi may have like 200 HP but pushes out 400 ft lb of torque. So the 4 cyl may have more HP then the V6 but, the V6 has more TQ that gives the car more get up and go. Which is what the OP is feeling right now. When you go buying a car forget the HP numbers look for the TQ numbers and where it kicks in at max. You want max HP at high RPM but you want max TQ at the Lowest RPM you can get and thats really where abouts you want to be shifting at and not red lining the damn car waiting for it to explode unless your driving a 4 cyl ricer.