Any difference between Linksys E4200 V1 and V2

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
I've been considering buying the Linksys E4200 wireless router but now I see they came out with an E4200 V2. It's more money of course and nobody seems to be dealing on it yet. My questions is what is the diff between the two and is it really any better than the original version. Is it worth the extra $$??

NXIL

Apr 14, 2005
No reviews on the new V2 I have seen.

They are looking at it at www.smallnetbuilders.com

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=6361

The main difference is a new CPU, made by Marvell--like the CPU in the Apple Airport Extreme--

Also, three streams for the 2.4 ghz band, up from one before as I recall--of course V1 still had great throughput.

Anyway, no hard data yet--e4200V1 is still great--maybe a better buy since it's not hot off the press.

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
I see now you can get a refurb E4200 for $95 dollars delivered from Linksys on sale......that's less than half of what they are asking for the V2. That is why I was asking. Might just go with the old version for my humble needs. The three streams in the 2.4ghz band is nice but you need to upgrade all your other wifi equipment to be able to utilize it. I'm not sure there is much out there just now that can even receive 3 streams. Not for me just yet I don't think.

Thanks for your response...:)

Last edited:

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
I see now you can get a refurb E4200 for $95 dollars delivered from Linksys on sale......that's less than half of what they are asking for the V2. That is why I was asking. Might just go with the old version for my humble needs. The three streams in the 2.4ghz band is nice but you need to upgrade all your other wifi equipment to be able to utilize it. I'm not sure there is much out there just now that can even receive 3 streams. Not for me just yet I don't think.

Thanks for your response...:)
intel 6300 a great card

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
I have the E4200 V1 and it's fine. The only real problem is that the USB Storage is extremely slow, like 3-4 MB/s regardless of whether you use wired or wireless. I hope that's something they've fixed.
Other than that it works fine and allows me to fully utilize my 100Mb/s Internet connection over wirelss (been getting as high as 11MB/s with torrents). Computer-to-computer SMB over wireless I get about 6MB/s @ 5 GHz.

Not sure if more streams at the crowded 2.4 GHz band is such a great idea, and whether you can even use them at all. I'd recommend using the 5 GHz whenever possible.

Yutani-Weyland

Jan 10, 2012
I have the E4200 V1 and it's fine. The only real problem is that the USB Storage is extremely slow, like 3-4 MB/s regardless of whether you use wired or wireless. I hope that's something they've fixed.
Other than that it works fine and allows me to fully utilize my 100Mb/s Internet connection over wirelss (been getting as high as 11MB/s with torrents). Computer-to-computer SMB over wireless I get about 6MB/s @ 5 GHz.

Not sure if more streams at the crowded 2.4 GHz band is such a great idea, and whether you can even use them at all. I'd recommend using the 5 GHz whenever possible.

Can you add a usb hub to the router and connect multiple USB hard drives to it?

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
I just went through the same decision making process. It turned out for me that the step backwards in parental controls (see linked smallnetbuilder link) tilted me back to the V1, and I then decided to take a chance on the refurbished V1 ($95 FS from Linksys website). At least I'm assuming the refurbs are V1's. It should be on its way right now.

Gew

Dec 24, 2009
Not the most recent thread, I know. However, if someone is wondering between these two and spots this thread I think one notable difference should be mentioned; v1 is Broadcom-based and can be flashed with Tomato or DD-WRT, whereas v2 is Marvell-based, which (this far) is not supported by any third party firmware.

ericloewe

Dec 14, 2011
All I can say is that the v2 was a major disappointment. Expensive, short range, awful to configure as anything other than a router and the speeds weren't that impressive.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
V2 also should be able (when they upgrade the firmware) to maintain a Live connection with Linksys and have the Cloud "schtick" clouding over it.

Whatever they (Linksys) say it will end up. OMG, we just made a mistake and left the switch on, sorry. I.e.,if they want they can Spy on you.

:cool:

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
All I can say is that the v2 was a major disappointment. Expensive, short range, awful to configure as anything other than a router and the speeds weren't that impressive.

I thought there was a v2 review on SNB...I read one somewhere and the V2 didn't perform as well as v1.

All that said if you need major performance, get a device capable of external antennas.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
I thought there was a v2 review on SNB...I read one somewhere and the V2 didn't perform as well as v1.

All that said if you need major performance, get a device capable of external antennas.

i tend to think if you need major distance you should get external antennas. otherwise the built in ones (minus some models) are tuned pretty well and will give you very good results.