Any difference between 2ms & 5ms response time for gaming?

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Hey all, im holding back from purchasing a monitor i really want cause it has a 5ms response time (Samsung P2770HD, has a built in TV tuner). The 2ms variant isn't available where i live (Samsung P2770H, no built in TV tuner), so im debating whether i should get the P2770HD and call it a day. The thing is nothing else in that size & price is available (except an LG, but it has similar specs & i'd prefer Samsung).

If i recall ghosting occurs @ 8ms and above, correct? I've read 1 user review where the dude said its "fine" for gaming, whatever that means.:p Is 5ms good for gaming or will i notice some ghosting?

Also, the "dynamic" contrast ratio for the P2770H is 70 000:1, whereas the P2770HD is 50 000:1, although the normal contrast ratio for both is 1000:1, what does that mean exactly? Will pictures be sharper on the P2770H?

Thanks in advance for any feedback on those 2 questions.

Kuzi

Sep 16, 2007
Do you know if that is 5ms GTG? If that is the case, the color response may be higher, and you might notice some ghosting.

I believe for most people, 6ms or lower response time is good enough, they won't notice any ghosting. Also, you might want to check the input lag of the LCD, as many have pretty high input lag, over 2 frames (+33ms), which can affect gameplay, especially fast FPS games.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
For me, I went from an 8ms to a 5ms to a 2ms and never noticed any difference in gaming.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Considering one frame is displayed every 16.66ms, I doubt you'll notice a difference of 3ms.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Do you know if that is 5ms GTG? If that is the case, the color response may be higher, and you might notice some ghosting.

I believe for most people, 6ms or lower response time is good enough, they won't notice any ghosting. Also, you might want to check the input lag of the LCD, as many have pretty high input lag, over 2 frames (+33ms), which can affect gameplay, especially fast FPS games.

i've been searching everywhere to see if its 5ms GTG but it doesnt say anywhere, even in the product manual, just says "response time typical". so im guessing that's not GTG otherwise they would've advertised it as such. How would i find out if its 5ms GTG or BTB?

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
When people read 8ms, 5ms, 2ms on monitor info, that is usually the very quickest and best case scenario that the monitor is capable of. In no circumstance does a monitor perform that well on a regular basis and especially not for games. Changing from white to black and to other colors takes much much much longer than the gray to gray measurement. Most monitor manufacturers do not tell you how long more common transitions take, but the quicker your GTG, the quicker these other changes will be. The quicker your monitor, the better the chance that really extreme color changes won't take longer than the 16ms magical number.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
so how do i find out if the Samsung P2770HD is 5ms GTG or BTG? i've read their online manual and checked the specs on their official site, but there's no mention of it, just "5ms typical response time". Is it safe to assume its 5ms GTG? thanks in advance.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
GTG is what should be assumed if it isn't stated otherwise. GTG is the most impressive looking number(also the most meaningless but they don't tell you that), so that is what they use.

severus

Dec 30, 2007
I think it really depends on the person. I went from a 19" NEC CRT to a 19" LG Flat tron with 2ms, but I notice ghosting on the LCD. Granted I've been using the CRT for so long, and I'm an extremely hard core cs 1.6 player so yeah.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
A few years ago I bought a 19" Samsung with 1280x1024 resolution and 8MB response time. Although I don't have it anymore I recall absolutely no ghosting playing some fps based games. But I don't have a very precise visual perspective. :)

Jason

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the difference it 3ms.

seriously though, GTG 5ms should be fine. Check something like cnet for a review... It also kinda depends on the person, some people are more sensitive to ghosting. Or they just want something to complain about.

GlacierFreeze

Golden Member
May 23, 2005
dguy6768 is spot on and explained it better than I tried to the other day. They advertise the lowest response time between colors, usually GrayToGray. Other color transitions will take longer and is usually why ghosting happens (IE: GTG = 2ms but RedToWhite may = 16ms or worse). The best monitors are rated at 2ms GTG but also benchmarked to show fairly reasonable response times with ALL other color changes. "2ms" monitor is very deceiving when it comes to gaming and doesn't exactly tell you how it will perform.

And the best way to see how a monitor will perform is check sites that have benchmarked their various pixel color change response times. Some monitors won't have any benchmarks and you'll just have to try it out yourself to see.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
dguy6768 is spot on and explained it better than I tried to the other day. They advertise the lowest response time between colors, usually GrayToGray. Other color transitions will take longer and is usually why ghosting happens (IE: GTG = 2ms but RedToWhite may = 16ms or worse). The best monitors are rated at 2ms GTG but also benchmarked to show fairly reasonable response times with ALL other color changes. "2ms" monitor is very deceiving when it comes to gaming and doesn't exactly tell you how it will perform.

And the best way to see how a monitor will perform is check sites that have benchmarked their various pixel color change response times. Some monitors won't have any benchmarks and you'll just have to try it out yourself to see.

Right, the article I linked points out that a 2ms GTG monitor is actually quite a bit quicker response than a 5ms GTG, because the 2ms may be 3 times slower (6ms) in BTG while the 5ms being 3 times slower is 15ms BTG.

But still, myself I haven't seen a panel that bothers me in a long time, they all seem decent enough to me now response time wise.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
wow thanks for all the info guys!! very much appreciated! I'll check out the P2770HD again in the stores to see if i really like the color & picture quality, but good to know the 5ms isnt anything to worry about for gaming. Cheers.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
As others suggested, except the guy out on a limb, I saw an article that 5ms uses a different measure than 2ms and is much slower than the 2ms.

Phil1977

Dec 8, 2009
xbitlabs does really good tests on response time. All the 2ms models us RTC (Responce Time Compensation). They are a lot faster than 5ms LCDs.

Best are 120 Hz panels however. They have the lowest response times while keeping RTC artifacts also very low.