any decent PCI cards worthwhile getting for a shuttle ss40?

jamie2833

May 1, 2001
thinking of getting a shuttle ss40 (just do a search on google if you dont know what it is) as they look soo sweet! but i am a bit of a gamer and play a lot of CS and a bit of unreal every now and then.

i checked out some reviews and with the onboard graphics it only managed to get around 1500 points on madonion 3Dmark2K1.

now i have an athlon 1.4 at the moment running at 1.2 and a geforce 2 GTS pro 64mb on a via KT133A board, i am not sure what score i get cause i haven't tested it for ages but i am pretty sure i get around 3000 or so marks, anyway CS plays damn smooth at 1024x768 with a lot of settings on high etc.

are there any decent PCI graphics cards that would be able to get around the same score as what i am getting now? if not more?
also will there be any PCI version of say the gefore 4 soon?

will it be worth the switch?
i have fallen in love with the shuttle ss40 and really want it bad but i dont wanna downgrade my graphics.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
get a voodoo5 pci. i have the voodoo5 agp, and it ran CS at ur requested res at around avg 70fp. this was with 2x AA. 4x AA really murdered the smoothness of the game :(

i just looked up the ss40 on google. are those full sized pci slots? or low profile? and i'm not quite sure if that case is big enough to house a voodoo5 (them suckers are pretty long). and plus... what kinda psu is in that thing? for a tbird & voodoo5 rig... u will need lotsa power.

jamie2833

May 1, 2001
well i am pretty sure they are normal height PCI slots and not low profile ones.

was thinking of getting the system and putting in a radeon 7500, they do them in low profile now as mentioned in the 'BEST PCI CARD' thread.

as for the voodoo 5, well that would have been my first choice if it had not been for them being so huge and long and needing so much power, the shuttle ss40 has a 200watt PSU i think but most reviews have seen the using a high end athlon no problems, mind you i am sure it wouldn't be able to handle a voodoo 5 with that.

i just wish they would bring out another shuttle micro-system with an AGP slot, makes a lot of sense, i saw a similar product called the 'y-box' or somehting on a banner on a website i went to but for the life of me i cannot find it, that had an AGP slot on it and the case looked pretty nice as well.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
i have not heard of any 7500 or 8500 pci cards. the gf4 mx series has a pci card or two. :eek:

joinT

Lifer
Jan 19, 2001
Yes you can get various PCI Radeon configs. I have a PCI Radeon 7500 64mb DDR in my jukebox slim-pc

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
The PowerColor RV2P is a low-profile Radeon 7500LE. Dual heads, CRT+TV+DVI, no fan, 64 MBytes DDR RAM, fine card. The only thing one could complain about is that the package includes neither a DVI-to-VGA adapter nor an alternate slot bracket for low profile systems.

regards, Peter

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
i saw that in a thread here last two weeks ago, but the thing was no where to be found for sale :eek:

thus i thought it was just a paper-launch and only that. :p

RONType1

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: K9jamie2833
thinking of getting a shuttle ss40 (just do a search on google if you dont know what it is) as they look soo sweet! but i am a bit of a gamer and play a lot of CS and a bit of unreal every now and then.

yes! I am wondering the same exact thing! i don't know if i can wait for the SS51! (if it will ever come out!), and the AMS solution is crap (don't like the via sound and lack of digital out! just adds another 55 bux and plus no firewire) I'm wondering how well the 7500 will run Warcraft III? any one?