Any current/former cops here

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
No I didn't get in trouble with the law just got a question for one of them or anyone else who can answer it. I was bored and decide to look at what it would take to be come a police officer. It says that you need to take ?written tests.? So what is this written test consists off and how hard can it be. I am just wondering and at this time have no plans of becoming a cop so your secrets are safe with me till then :)

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I remember helping a friend of mine study for the written test a few years ago. As far as I could see, it really focused on quick and clear thinking as opposed to critical thinking. For instance, there was a math section chock full of problems that most high school freshman should be able to do easily....but you only get a few seconds per problem on average.

Things could have changed, but I don't think they have. The best place to look is your local library...they'll have the study guides for the exam there.

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by: yoda291
I remember helping a friend of mine study for the written test a few years ago. As far as I could see, it really focused on quick and clear thinking as opposed to critical thinking. For instance, there was a math section chock full of problems that most high school freshman should be able to do easily....but you only get a few seconds per problem on average.

Things could have changed, but I don't think they have. The best place to look is your local library...they'll have the study guides for the exam there.

K don?t' sound too hard but then again most likely that is just first test from allot of different test. Btw just remember that I took a class in college and it thought by a former watch commander. Next time I see him will ask him this question, till then anyone actually took exam in the last 2 years.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Psycho14
I'm a former Police Explorer.

rolleye.gif

Ylen13, the written test is pretty much a basic comprehension/memory test, it's easy :)

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein

rolleye.gif

Ylen13, the written test is pretty much a basic comprehension/memory test, it's easy :)

that is all? Well anyone that took english 101 and passed it, should be able to pass that test. I hope test become harder after that test,

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Ylen13

rolleye.gif

that is all? Well anyone that took english 101 and passed it, should be able to pass that test. I hope test become harder after that test,

It's not the written test that keeps most people from serving as an officer, it's the background & psychological phases that keep shields and guns out of people who shouldn't have them :)

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001

rolleye.gif

It's not the written test that keeps most people from serving as an officer, it's the background & psychological phases that keep shields and guns out of people who shouldn't have them :)

good lets hope the system works.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Question 1: How much does a Krispee Kreme donut cost?
Question 2: How much does a dozen KK donuts cost?
Question 3: Based on the 50% police discount, how many KK donuts would your salary of $40k allow you to buy, assuming that you spent $500/month on fast food?

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Question 3: Based on the 50% police discount, how many KK donuts would your salary of $40k allow you to buy, assuming that you spent $500/month on fast food?

Roflol if that is the questions then lapd is in very deep waters. Then again it would explain why so many corruptions occurred in the last 5 year or so.

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999

lmfao

Question 4: How many speeding tickets would you have to give out in order to buy the department 10000 donuts and 500 gallons of coffee?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999

Must be a Canada thing Skoorb :p

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
How often do you like to harass people who commit minor traffic violations:

(1) All of the time.
(2) Most of the time.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
wow...an honest question about police, and the thread turns into a cop bashing thread. there's a big surprise.

Ylen: the test consists of basic memory/comprehension skills along with basic english, math and common sense questions.

The test varies between departments / locales, but over all anyone with above average intelligence and common sense shouldn't have much of a problem.

If you have any specific questions...PM me, i took a test about two years ago, and it hasn't changed much, if at all in the location i took it.

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by: pyonir
wow...an honest question about police, and the thread turns into a cop bashing thread. there's a big surprise.

Ylen: the test consists of basic memory/comprehension skills along with basic english, math and common sense questions.

The test varies between departments / locales, but over all anyone with above average intelligence and common sense shouldn't have much of a problem.

If you have any specific questions...PM me, i took a test about two years ago, and it hasn't changed much, if at all in the location i took it.

thanks for reply, for now i don't have any specific question just wanted to know what kind of people are protecting us and how hard for someone to become a cop. Those that actually answeared the question made me sleep little bit better at night knowing its not that easy to become a cop.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
The test I took 12 years ago for the Michigan State Police also had a section where you get 30 seconds to stare at a picture, IIRC it was an accident scene, and afterward you had to answer 25 questions based on that picture without being able to look at it again.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: bunker
The test I took 12 years ago for the Michigan State Police also had a section where you get 30 seconds to stare at a picture, IIRC it was an accident scene, and afterward you had to answer 25 questions based on that picture without being able to look at it again.

The still do that. That, along with 12 suspects and descriptions (with pictures) and you had to answer 15 or 20 questions about those suspects. That part was pretty damn hard.

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001

The still do that. That, along with 12 suspects and descriptions (with pictures) and you had to answer 15 or 20 questions about those suspects. That part was pretty damn hard.

So anyone that has a good short term photographic memory will do well on that part of the test.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
your salary of $40k

Must be in CA, most cops start at less than half that. I know lots of cops, it's kind of like being a teacher IMO, you have to really want that job to accept the sucka$$ salary that you get.

So anyone that has a good short term photographic memory will do well on that part of the test.

also, some departments are beginning to require some college...assoc. level, some are even saying you need 4 years. Again, that is some, not all. not by a long shot. Do yourself a favor though and do a ride-along with your local police. They can answer all your questions and more...kinda fun to see what they do and look at things from a police perspective.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: jemcam
your salary of $40k

Must be in CA, most cops start at less than half that. I know lots of cops, it's kind of like being a teacher IMO, you have to really want that job to accept the sucka$$ salary that you get.

Where the hell is that? Here in Arizona the lowest starting salary i've seen is ~32k

That is with no previous experience or college. Back in Minnesota, i haven't seen one under 30k.

Looking at your profile i see you are in Illinois... Chicago starts at 38k - U of Ill police start at 37k - Peoria starts at 33k

Where do they make less than 20k?

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: jemcam
your salary of $40k

Where the hell is that? Here in Arizona the lowest starting salary i've seen is ~32k

That is with no previous experience or college. Back in Minnesota, i haven't seen one under 30k.

Looking at your profile i see you are in Illinois... Chicago starts at 38k - U of Ill police start at 37k - Peoria starts at 33k

Where do they make less than 20k?

I'm talking about Florida where I grew up and know lots of cops. I've only lived here for 3 years.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
In some parts of NC low 20K is starting. After first year you get a nice raise then after that not much unless you get promotated.

Also don't forget the area. 40K in Wilmington NC is not bad to make, but 40K in LA or another big city might not be enough to pay rent and most bills, let alone raise a family or have a life.