Any current (E8500) Windows-based CPU underclocking tools available?

7Enigma

Feb 12, 2008
Hello everyone,

Well after a great response to a graphics card issue in the other subforum I'm going to try to 2 in a row.

I'm looking to dynamically underclock my CPU in Vista and have not had any luck. Previously in XP with my old Athlon64 3200+ I was using a program that would step the cpu from a very low speed to my overclocked setting depending on the load. I tried that program after my current build and it would not work with the E8500.

Any programs out there that are up to date?

Zensal

Jan 18, 2005
You should have a few features on your motherboard called CIE, and EIST. With these two features on, when your CPU is not being used, they lower the multiplier and decrease the voltage to your CPU.

Dec 30, 2004
You won't be able to decrease the voltage like you can on your Athlon64. I liked CoolnQuiet a lot more than Speedstep-- I, too, had my underclocked for when I wasn't using it-- 1.45v full speed, down to 0.8v idle.
You're limited to 0.02v/multiplier stepdown on Intel chips.

7Enigma

Feb 12, 2008
Originally posted by: angry hampster
What are the possible gains of doing this? $10/year in energy saved?

The answer is underlined in your sig...

Thanks everyone else for the replies. I haven't had too much luck with the mobo underclocking tools. They seem to decrease system stability in my limited testing and didn't allow my OC at all to be stable (3.85GHz on stock voltage E8500). What I liked about my previous OC tool was the ability to unselect the underclock and lock it at my OC speed during gaming. That way I could avoid possible crashes when it randomly decided to underclock the CPU.

Aha! Finally remembered the name of the program I used to use, RMclock! That was a great program for older procs.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
RMclock still works on core2 processors. It's not quite like it was when I used it on older AMD Athlon cpu's though. Now it really operates like a more configurable (and on-demand) speedstep front-end.

7Enigma

Feb 12, 2008
Originally posted by: Binky
RMclock still works on core2 processors. It's not quite like it was when I used it on older AMD Athlon cpu's though. Now it really operates like a more configurable (and on-demand) speedstep front-end.

Maybe I should give it a try again....didn't have much luck before. Do you (or anyone viewing this thread) know of a specific core2 tutorial using RMclock? I thought I was pretty familiar with it but maybe I was missing some settings...

Thanks for the reply.