Any coffee pod machines that are decent and not awful for the environment?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I've used a Nespresso and Keurig and the quality of the coffee is subpar, not to mention the impact of using a massive amount of plastic. Are there any pod machines out there that offer better taste or a more eco-friendly option? If not I suppose I could go back to my drip maker. French press is just too messy and I'm not fond of the taste. Not a big fan of pour over either. I abandoned the drip maker because I was trying to cut down on coffee intake.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't think so aside from using refillable pods. At that point, you're getting rid of all the value of the system. I've never used one, but people seem to like aeropress makers. Looks like a French press on easy mode to me.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Doing your own refillable pods is the only way to do this and I gave up on that quickly because it's a pain in the ass to clean the little cups and I sometimes still would get a bit of a plastic taste to the coffee.

I love my nespresso for a quick shot or two of coffee and I do feel a bit better knowing the pods are aluminum and I can send them back to nespresso for free to be recycled.

My everyday system I have a dedicated electric tea kettle and do a pour over in a Chemex style carafe using paper cones. Makes it quick and easy cleanup and only takes a few minutes to make the coffee.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use a pourover with reusable filter for my every day bulk coffee. Using a paper filter would make it a lot easier, and bulletproof. I'll never own another autodrip. Not worth the counter space they consume.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Just get a chemex or v60. Is it as convenient? No. Will it make infinitely better coffee and be better for the environment? 110.23%

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
My espresso machine can also take ESE pods, which are compostable. I've never used any, so I can't vouch for the taste, but they seem popular enough.

Nov 29, 2006
San Francisco Bay coffee kcups
  • ECO-FRIENDLY, COMMERCIALLY COMPOSTABLE: OneCup pods, including the outer bag and one-way coffee valve, are made from plant-based materials and are certified fully commercially compostable by BPI.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
"Commercially compostable" is the key phrase. It's not gonna work in your backyard, and it you don't have centralized composting, it's about the same as traditional plastic, though it will go away eventually if it goes feral.

Nov 17, 2019
They used to make a machine that used single serve pads, not pods. Paper filter material on both side with coffee in the middle.

where-is-the-cheapest-single-serve-coffee-pods-i-still-think-is-amazon-21451754.jpg

I have one of these:

iu

It takes those pads, but they're not cheap. I use a piece of filter wrapped around some grounds and it seems to work OK.

Reactions: Captante

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
They used to make a machine that used single serve pads, not pods. Paper filter material on both side with coffee in the middle.

where-is-the-cheapest-single-serve-coffee-pods-i-still-think-is-amazon-21451754.jpg

I have one of these:

iu

It takes those pads, but they're not cheap. I use a piece of filter wrapped around some grounds and it seems to work OK.
Looks a lot like ESE pods.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Both Nespresso and Peet's will recycle their aluminum pods by mail, but honestly recycling is part of the problem rather than part of the solution. We truly need a national recycling strategy/solution for all the plastic waste that is produced.

Reactions: soulcougher73

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Just learn to use a french press and/or pour over filter. The pod machines don't really save you that much time and make dreadful coffee.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I was looking for same thing when I started to drink coffee every day and not just the odd Tim's here and there. Ultimately I ended up just going with the drip machine. You can still brew small amounts with it if you really want. I brew 4 cups, which is around 2 actual mugs of coffee.

At work we have a keurig but I tend to always use the reusable pods now and just put my own grounds in it.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Just learn to use a french press and/or pour over filter. The pod machines don't really save you that much time and make dreadful coffee.
I fucking hate filter coffee coffee though, it tastes of hot water and cardboard that someone has waved a coffee bean at.
Nespresso is the most convenient way of getting a real coffee but it does involve a shit load of waste for an espresso. They do have a really good recycling policy that I use but I'm leary of looking into the details because there's good odds that everything ends up in a land fill in India.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Someone needs to invent a drip machine that has a small actuator that stops the flow of coffee, it would fill the cone up until it's full, ensuring it does not overflow, and let the coffee sit for like 5 minutes, then let it drain, and repeat this process until whatever amount of water you put in is done. Essentially, an automatic french press. It should have a RS232 port so you can console in and change parameters to tweak it perfectly, such as how long it keeps the coffee in the cone, as well as the temperature of the water.

Could be an arduino project lol.

• Love
Reactions: mxnerd and lxskllr

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Something is wrong then, not enough beans, water not the appropriate temperature, something.
I just don't like that style of coffee. It's a totally different thing to coffee extracted under pressure.
I'm not saying ones intrinsically better than the other, I just don't like filter type coffee.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i like the aeropress because

1. it's easy to use and clean up
2. it can make great tasting coffee when paired with quality fresh beans
3. it does a single cup at a time, which is good because that's all i should drink

(well my doctor says i shouldn't have any caffeine at all but i don't want to get fired, so...)

right now i'm drinking some excellent decaf

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

I have one of these:

iu

This looks like what they use in most hotel rooms i've been in. in the US and overseas. got to be a distributor that sells them to individuals

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I fucking hate filter coffee coffee though, it tastes of hot water and cardboard that someone has waved a coffee bean at.
Nespresso is the most convenient way of getting a real coffee but it does involve a shit load of waste for an espresso. They do have a really good recycling policy that I use but I'm leary of looking into the details because there's good odds that everything ends up in a land fill in India.

then use a moca pot

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Speaking of filters you can get metal mesh filters too that are reusable. Maybe that will help with the taste? they are cone shaped and fit right into the drip machine like a regular filter. Just need to be sure to get the right size/type.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
then use a moca pot
I've got one of those that I take camping. I find that a Nespresso machine with decent pods makes better coffee tbh, and it's quicker and there's less cleanup.
I should look into whether Nespresso actually recycle their pods after they collect them.