any ceo's on this board?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lightpants

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SagaLore
Originally posted by: lightpants
he initially asked for $40K per month. I had to use my salesman skills to negotiate that down from $40K and 25% to $10K and 15%.

So he went from wanting $480,000.00 a year and 25% of the company, to $120,000.00 a year and 15% of the company.

I am officially calling shens

Maybe the $ stands for pesos?

Damn, you are right, I respectfully withdraw my shens

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
he initially asked for $40K per month. I had to use my salesman skills to negotiate that down from $40K and 25% to $10K and 15%.

So he went from wanting $480,000.00 a year and 25% of the company, to $120,000.00 a year and 15% of the company.

When He first made that offer my negotiation went something like this,

um, no.

how about $2,000 per month just to get you by and 5% of the company.

He laughed.

Then we didn't talk for about 3 months.

I came back and said, come on, how about $5K per month and 8%

He said, no

We didn't talk for another month

He came back and said, my schedule is freeing up and obligations are ending. Are you still up for a CEO? Can you do $20K per month and 20%,

I said no.

We didn't talk for a month.

I came back and said, look, how about 15% and 10K? He said, ok.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
all these brilliant minds that are the shens callers.

God you annoy me. more often than not shens callers are wrong. they annoy me more than the OP that may or may not have lied in the first place. half of them call shens w/o know but just feel like saying it. the attacks on supposed inconsistencies of stories of the OP are more often explained just because bigger concepts cannot often be explained in 2 or 3 posts, but they insist on calling shens anyway.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

God you annoy me. more often than not shens callers are wrong. they annoy me more than the OP that may or may not have lied in the first place. half of them call shens w/o know but just feel like saying it. the attacks on supposed inconsistencies of stories of the OP are more often explained just because bigger concepts cannot often be explained in 2 or 3 posts, but they insist on calling shens anyway.

I call shens on this post. :|

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

That is a golden post that could have saved me much face when I tried to explain the big picture of my "megan" problem.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: SagaLore

I call shens on this post. :|

I call shens on your post.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK

officially denied. How much flux to you think there is when large company's like Walmart or HP negotiate a CEO contract?

Yea, but it doesn't seem like any negotiation went on. It's not like you got him to take less money in exchange for a bigger stake or future stake in the company. You got him to take significantly less more and a much smaller portion. You sure you want a guy that would give in that much as the CEO of your company?

lightpants

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2001
Originally posted by: trmiv

officially denied. How much flux to you think there is when large company's like Walmart or HP negotiate a CEO contract?

Yea, but it doesn't seem like any negotiation went on. It's not like you got him to take less money in exchange for a bigger stake or future stake in the company. You got him to take significantly less more and a much smaller portion. You sure you want a guy that would give in that much as the CEO of your company?

This is the reason I was doubting the OP.

osiris3mc

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2001
This discussion seems to have gone way off topic. TechBoyJK - should you decide to draft the contract yourself (which would be cheaper than having an attorney write one up), you should at the very least have one review the contract. I was reading earlier about not having this CEO's equity vest for something like 18 months. Something like that might make the contract unconscionable because so much of his contract is dependent on him staying with the company for a long period of time. My basic point is that at the very least have an attorney review the contract BEFORE anyone signs it (and if there are any alternations to the contract by the other side, have it reviewed again). There are also big tax issues you need to be thinking about when it comes to his/her compensation package. That's another thing you will need some advice on, which may cost you a little bit. However, the tax savings will definitely be worth it.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: osiris3mc
This discussion seems to have gone way off topic. TechBoyJK - should you decide to draft the contract yourself (which would be cheaper than having an attorney write one up), you should at the very least have one review the contract. I was reading earlier about not having this CEO's equity vest for something like 18 months. Something like that might make the contract unconscionable because so much of his contract is dependent on him staying with the company for a long period of time. My basic point is that at the very least have an attorney review the contract BEFORE anyone signs it (and if there are any alternations to the contract by the other side, have it reviewed again). There are also big tax issues you need to be thinking about when it comes to his/her compensation package. That's another thing you will need some advice on, which may cost you a little bit. However, the tax savings will definitely be worth it.

way off topic. I'm actually also working with an incubator which provides attornies etc., and they also will be looking at the contract. The prospect CEO in question is an attorney as well. So I need to be able deal with that.

Finality

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm actually pretty impressed most owners dont know when to step down and pass the CEO reigns onto someone else.

Kudos to you! :)

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: trmiv

This is the reason I was doubting the OP.

We've negotiated other deals before. He always throws a high number out there just in case someone will bite. Like I said, several months went by where we didn't even talk, much less negotiate. Not speaking is part of the process.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Finality
I'm actually pretty impressed most owners dont know when to step down and pass the CEO reigns onto someone else.

yea, well I should have done it a long time ago. Once the company sells I will probably spend some time with a shrink to piece my head back together for a normal life.

thanks, btw.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
You claim to have started a business, rebuilding that business and looking to hire a CEO however your first thought was to ask ATOT instead of asking an attorney?

osiris3mc

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Babbles
You claim to have started a business, rebuilding that business and looking to hire a CEO however your first thought was to ask ATOT instead of asking an attorney?

And you thought to post this without even reading what's already been posted? Wow. Guess what? It's been covered already.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

My first thought was to get several attorneys.
My second thought was to go to my church and talk to the attorneys there.
My third thought was to ask the director of the Incubator that I have my office in.
My fourth thought was to ask another CEO that I know for a copy of his contract and any advice he has.

Somewhere down the line I thought it might be a good idea and see if any body on anandtech had some advice.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001

And you thought to post this without even reading what's already been posted? Wow. Guess what? It's been covered already.

Wow, you some sort of insecure numbnut that needs to point things out? Kudos to you for being a fool.
My comment was an attempt of throwing out a smart eleck quip to question his judgement, not to offer sincere advice. Grats on thinking.

tool

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Finality

That's a VERY good point!

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Contracts that vest an equity stake over time are common. In this case, you'll probably be giving restricted shares. There are tons of ways to structure this, consult your lawyers. I'm guessing it'll look like this:

Base amount of equity that vests over a defined period

Bonus level of equity that is earned for hitting certain targets that also vests over time.

You want the time element so that you lock him into the job. It is damaging to have a senior executive leave.

You could even make him President and COO first with a clause that, if he is still there, he automatically becomes CEO after 3 or 6 months.

Michael (not a CEO, but am a CFO <not of a small start-up>)

ps - this is a dumb place to be asking advice at and I'm natuarally suspicious of the reason why anyone would ask for advice like this here.

osiris3mc

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2001

Wow, you some sort of insecure numbnut that needs to point things out? Kudos to you for being a fool.
My comment was an attempt of throwing out a smart eleck quip to question his judgement, not to offer sincere advice. Grats on thinking.

tool

Hey buddy, take a deep breath, calm down. His judgment has already been questioned, that's all I'm saying. He's clarified it; it's a done deal. There is no need to chime in with something that's already been stated. Just leave it at that.

By the way, typically those who quickly blurt out stuff like, "insecure numbnut," are the ones that have self-esteem issues. Just relax my man, people like you, they really do.

osiris3mc

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2001
Oh, and it's, "smart aleck," not, "smart eleck," since I'm an insecure numbnut that has to point everything out. ;)

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Michael
Contracts that vest an equity stake over time are common. In this case, you'll probably be giving restricted shares. There are tons of ways to structure this, consult your lawyers. I'm guessing it'll look like this:

Base amount of equity that vests over a defined period

Bonus level of equity that is earned for hitting certain targets that also vests over time.

You want the time element so that you lock him into the job. It is damaging to have a senior executive leave.

You could even make him President and COO first with a clause that, if he is still there, he automatically becomes CEO after 3 or 6 months.

Michael (not a CEO, but am a CFO <not of a small start-up>)

ps - this is a dumb place to be asking advice at and I'm natuarally suspicious of the reason why anyone would ask for advice like this here.

lol, first off, thanks for the advice. This is the reason I posted here. Look, I'm in with an incubator, attorney's there, I have my own attorney, i several shareholders that are attorney's as well. I will be approaching them all about issues with the contract ahead of time, but every little piece that I can throw in before it happens makes things easier. It was rather simple to make a post here, and I figured if just one post out of X posts gives quality input, then its worth the time.

As petty as a resource as it may seem, I appreciate some of the feedback I get on this site.