LG 22x

Asus TA M11

kingston PC 2 5300 667mhz-4GB

Xigmatek Red Scorpion S1283 CPU Cooler

Cross-posting is not allowed. You are new here, so this is just a warning
Markfw900 Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 20, 2008
Not really. I have a Q8200 as well. At stock speed it doesn't make a difference in any games unless I play Source games (Counterstrike Source, Day of Defeat Source, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2) or Supreme Commander. In that case, overclocking helps out quite a bit.

I would suggest overclocking, but your system just isn't cut out for it without some expensive upgrades on the ram and motherboard. As software and games both mature, nearly any modern quad (especially the Q8200/Q6600) will stil be far more than adequate.

I've never heard of that power supply. I guess if it's working well, stick with it. I would upgrade that if anything. Your system is balanced. Especially with newer games.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Looks OK to me; I might get an extra HDD to throw in myself, but there is nothing "holding you back".

jasonchng1987

Dec 2, 2009
Not really. I have a Q8200 as well. At stock speed it doesn't make a difference in any games unless I play Source games (Counterstrike Source, Day of Defeat Source, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2) or Supreme Commander. In that case, overclocking helps out quite a bit.

I would suggest overclocking, but your system just isn't cut out for it without some expensive upgrades on the ram and motherboard. As software and games both mature, nearly any modern quad (especially the Q8200/Q6600) will stil be far more than adequate.

I've never heard of that power supply. I guess if it's working well, stick with it. I would upgrade that if anything. Your system is balanced. Especially with newer games.

i cannot oc as my mobo is oem.

i play games like crysis.

i scare gt bottleneck the 4870 1gb card

jasonchng1987

Dec 2, 2009

my system is average?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Your system is very good overall, but honestly that mobo is terrible and your ram could really use an upgrade. Given that you could easily sell the existing mobo + ram for a decent amount, getting onto a P45 board like this :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128371

Combined with some decent DDR3 memory..

Would let you squeeze out a lot more performance, particularly if you got your CPU clock to around the 3ghz mark.

jasonchng1987

Dec 2, 2009
Your system is very good overall, but honestly that mobo is terrible and your ram could really use an upgrade. Given that you could easily sell the existing mobo + ram for a decent amount, getting onto a P45 board like this :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128371

Combined with some decent DDR3 memory..

Would let you squeeze out a lot more performance, particularly if you got your CPU clock to around the 3ghz mark.

core 2 quad only use DDR2 memory if i not wrong.

core i7 use DDR3 memory.

how to overclock my processor .

my core 2 quad processor aslo hot.

need to buy good motherboard and good memory if i not wrong?

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
core 2 quad has been able to utilize ddr3 for a while. n790i, P-45's and x-48's, I forget if they were also supportedin x-38's.

Notice the link in the quote of your post shows the P-45 supporst core2 tech w/ ddr3?

For overclocking your processor, there is a great thread in the CPU forum and yes you will want to look at something better that stock cooling but it's nothing to be afraid of. Of course you might get addicted to trying to get the most of your hardware and end up spending hundreds of dollars of a watercooling set up and love every minute of it.... But i digress.

Edit: i7 has triple channel and the core 2's use dual channel. I think that is what you are getting confused. They are not the same as saying that one is ddr2 or ddr3.

Notice I edited my post and didn't put up a second to bump my post count! ;-0

Last edited: