Any aquarium people here? Help with "cloudy white" water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
I've been fighting "cloudy" water in my aquarium for about a month. It has a slight white color, like "fog" but it never seems to get better or worse.

I started doing about 10-15% water changes daily, that clears it up slightly due to the fresh water, but it goes right back.

I started 25% then 50% water changes, it never goes away. I tried doing nothing and letting it clear on it's own. Nothing. Never got worse, but never got better. I did a near complete clean (~80-90% water change) and dropped the fish back in, a few days later it clouded right back up. All fresh filters, you name it, nothing helps.

I also noticed something odd the last change. There was green algae in the filter motor and brown diatom "algae" in the pipes of the under gravel. I didn't think they couls easily coexist but I guess they can?

Obligatory pics:

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
I went through half a dozen fish before I said "fuck it", worst hobby ever.

Now I stick with Parakeets and a cat.

I wish I could help, but I don't want to end up killing the poor things :$

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
technically, it's my daughters tank but since she's 4, guess who gets to handle the maintenance.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Is this a new system?

Pics are blocked at work, but it sounds like it's going through the nitrogen cycle, causing a bacterial bloom. Could take a month to finish depending on the tank's circumstances. Doing the large water changes may have interrupted the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CieeCjfj_Ks

It may also be worth testing your new water before adding it to the system.

Last edited:

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Have you tried isolating the problem, like adding water just to the tanks without the pumps on or even inside the tank; using the pumps in another container?

Gravel or models in the tank breaking down?

Have you checked if the cloud settles if you give it a few hours when left completely still (no pumps on)?

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Is this a new system?

Pics are blocked at work, but it sounds like it's going through the nitrogen cycle, causing a bacterial bloom, which could take a month to finish depending on your circumstances. Doing the water changes has probably interrupted the process.

If that's the case, nuke the tank with chlorine or wash the insides with anti-bacterial soap... Just take out anything that doesn't react well with chlorine.

Fish probably won't like that though...

Edit: Just in case the sarcasm doesn't come through, you probably don't want to do this.

Last edited:

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
If that's the case, nuke the tank with chlorine or wash the insides with anti-bacterial soap... Just take out anything that doesn't react well with chlorine.

No, don't do this. The cycle needs to complete to break down ammonia-->nitrites-->nitrates, which requires stable populations of appropriate bacteria. This is totally natural, and so long as the ammonia and nitrite levels aren't insane the fish should actually be safe. They might be happier with lots of bubblers flowing for lots of O2 during the process though. Just continue with small water changes as needed per levels/testing.

Algae will grow because that's what algae does. Just scrub it.

Last edited:

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Is this a new system?

Pics are blocked at work, but it sounds like it's going through the nitrogen cycle, causing a bacterial bloom. Could take a month to finish depending on the tank's circumstances. Doing the large water changes may have interrupted the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CieeCjfj_Ks

It may also be worth testing your new water before adding it to the system.

it's over a year old I believe, just popped up recently. local places said bacterial bloom as well, and suggested more water changes to keep the bacteria from deoxiginating the tank. didn't help.

I tried to let it go and "cycle" also, didn't change. i've spent insane amounts of time on google trying this and that, nothing is changing it.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Also remember not to over feed the fishes. Too much uneaten food decomposing can cloud up the water too.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
I'm a saltwater guy but theres quite a bit in common, and I end up having to help family members with freshwater since I have a fish tank.

Definitely check the link RavenSEAL posted above on the nitrogen cycle. It's always handy to have some test kits on hand for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. In an established tank you want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and finally nitrates is what you will monitor and do water changes to essentially offload from the tank. So once a tank is established you'd only have to regularly check nitrates (for the most part.. although it's not bad to monitor pH, alk, etc, but for a tank like this it's usually not going to be necessary unless you're having major problems that aren't covered by the more basics.)

One thing I see quite often in freshwater tanks is overfeeding, which will cause your tanks nitrogen cycle to never reach a balance as it's basically biologically overloaded hence the white cloudy water - ie. it's like having an overstocked tank. I understand people don't want to starve their fish but they'll be fine as long as they're getting something, and it's better than overfeeding which causes ammonia spikes which is essentially poisoning the fish. Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like only a couple smallish fish in there?

EDIT: Also, if you don't want to run out to buy test kits (the really cheap ones are generally worthless anyway) usually a LFS will test water samples for you. Just another option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.