Any AMD FM2+ boards with M.2 yet?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
The Anandtech A10-7890K article mentioned they are coming:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9927/amd-announces-a107890k-apu-and-upgrades-desktop-platforms

New Motherboards Incoming

AMD also revealed at CES that its partners are working on a new generation of socket AM3+ and socket FM2+ motherboards. The new breed of mainboards from various manufacturers will feature USB 3.1 gen 2 controllers (ASMedia ASM1142) that will enable USB type-A and USB type-C ports. Besides, select motherboards will also have M.2 connectors for solid-state drives.

amd_new_mainboards_575px.jpg

The implementation of the USB 3.1 is relatively easy: the ASMedia ASM1142 controller requires two PCI Express 2.0 lanes (something that all modern AMD platforms have), everything that motherboard makers need to do is to install one chip and supporting logic. Meanwhile, a properly implemented M.2 connector for contemporary solid-state drives needs four PCI Express 3.0 lanes in order to provide up to 3940 MB/s of bandwidth. The AMD FX (AM3+) platforms do not support PCIe 3.0 natively at all, hence, AMD’s partners will have to either implement an M.2 connector using four PCIe 2.0 ports (which would limit bandwidth to 2000 MB/s), or use a PCIe switch to “convert” eight PCIe 2.0 lanes into four PCIe 3.0 lanes. The AMD A-series (FM2+) processors support PCIe 3.0 x16 and hence can support an M.2 port with PCIe 3.0 x4 bandwidth, but in that case graphics cards will have to work in PCIe 3.0 x8 mode. In general, it is possible to add USB 3.1 and M.2 to current-generation AM3+ and FM2+ platforms, but that comes at a cost.

Any info on what models will have the M.2?

I don't see any on Newegg yet.

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for the link.

I checked to see if it supports booting (re: not all PCIe to M.2 adapters do this) and here is what the description says:

Notice:
1: M.2 NGFF (PCIe x4 or PCIe x2) SSD do the system boot disk need the computer motherboard to support,not all motherboards support start function, please consult your motherboard vendor supporting details.

With that noted, my next question would be how many existing FM2+ boards support PCIe boot? Is this a likely or unlikely feature to be found?

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
I THINK some PCIe-to-M.2 adapters had a PCI Option ROM on them that allowed PCIe M.2 SSDs to be booteable even if there was no Motherboard BIOS NVMe support.
I also seriously doubt that FM2/FM2+ Motherboards supports NVMe at all, which is required to boot from them. It has been proven to be possible to mod your own BIOS to add NVMe support (UEFI has Drivers in the form of embeddable EFI executables if I understanded how it works), Fernando did that on an older Intel platform. May want to look around if someone tried to do so on AMD platforms, in which case a ROMless adapter should work.

jawallace

Jun 29, 2013
Just one so far, ASRock A88M-G/3 which is a Micro ATX motherboard, M.2 support Samsung 951 SSD for sure. Has a A & C for USB 3.1.

simon horne

Oct 31, 2016
i have asus x88 xm plus m/board in the bios it says pci /pcie in the boot options Cms , does this mean i can boot a nvme ssd in an adapter using one of the pcie x4 sockets? i think it could just wondered if anyone s done it before i give it a try

Reactions: msroadkill612