Any Affordable PCI-E x1 Card?

Slaimus

Sep 24, 2000
Is there a PCI-E x1 card that is under $50? I need one for my Intel SS4200 NAS box which is completely headless, but has a PCI-E x1 slot.

If not, can I "cut off" the extra connectors to convert a X16 card to X1?

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Actually you can just cut off the extra signal wires. Or at least I know it works with some cards, because I've seen it done successfully before.

You might check and see if Matrox or some other manufacturers have x1 cards available. I know Matrox cards can be kind of expensive, though. If you don't mind doing the cutting, grabbing a cheap ATI or nVidia card would probably be your best bet.

edit: Looks like there are a couple ATI x1 cards on NewEgg. The prices are ridiculous, though. Both are HD4350, and they're like 3x more expensive than their PCI-E x16 counterparts. :/

Definitely looks like buying a cheapie and cutting the connector is your best bet.

Last edited:

zuffy

Feb 28, 2000
Doubt you will find one for under $100. If you have a PCI slot, you are better off get a PCI video card.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
damn, tiger direct used to have a PCIe 1x video card for ~$24.99, but no more

jdjbuffalo

Oct 26, 2000
I know they used to have cheap PCI-Express 1x but I can't seem to find any on Newegg or elsewhere.

One thing you could do is pickup a 16x to 1x adapter for $30 and then just get a cheap $25 - $35 standard PCI-Express 16x video card. Here is the one Newegg is selling: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-157-_-Product

I think these thinks are way overpriced and should be $5 but it's probably your cheapest option.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
It's easier to melt the end of the 1x connector than to clip the card if you go that route. Newegg has a 16x to 1x adapter you can use. But it is about $30 by itself.

Slaimus

Sep 24, 2000
It looks like the Best Buy card is mislabelled, and is really a x16 card according to reviews. I am trying to avoid modding the motherboard since it is proprietary, so if I mess up I pretty much have to get a whole new box.

Last edited:

Slaimus

Sep 24, 2000
I think I will buy a PCI-E x1 riser, and mod the connector on the riser to avoid messing with the motherboard.

BTW this is what the box looks like:

Intel_SS4200-E_open_right.jpg

Last edited:

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
okay but you only had to melt the end of the connector with the tip of a soldering iron. Melt it only enough to fit the card in the slot and you could get the cheapest passive cooling card you can find. They also have a 1x to PCI riser so you can use a cheap PCI card.