Any 1:1 backup software that can completely backup all registry hives as well?

BustaBust

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001
There are a million + pieces of software that will do 1:1 copies of your hard disk, but I was wondering if there was something out there that will also give you the option to completely backup your registry hives (even hidden portions) and then give you the option of restoring it when you restore the hard disk image. I am aware I could export through Regedit, but it will not let me get ALL of the hives in that manner. I also know where they are stored on the hd in the windows\system32\config folder, but it is more convenient for me the way I mentioned earlier. Also, how does one get around access issues? I believe there are at least 2 hives that give me access issues because they have some sort of running log. If you make a backup through Regedit of all of the hives that Windows™ 8.1 will let you, you will notice the difference in size compared to copying the contents from the \config folder. BTW, I have Windows 8.1 and I am only looking for solutions from Win7 and on up. Sorry, it started out with just the software question, but it reminded me of problems I had encountered while trying this out. Thanks in advance guys!

EDIT - While typing this I decided to export each hive one-by-one through Regedit, and this time it did not give me access issues. How strange! I guess there weren't any running logs at the time. Anyway, which software do you guys use for your backup/restore needs? Also, is there anything out there where say I create a 1:1 hd image and save it on my external hd but, the next day I add a file or two and maybe the day after I do the same or plan on adding files daily...anything out there that will create the first huge main image of everything and then allow me to add or subtract files as needed without having to create a whole new image?? Sorry I don't remember what that is called :(

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Anything that backs up the entire drive will also back up the registry files.

BustaBust

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001
Wow I feel stupid! I thought for some reason that (security, access issues...etc) one would have to do it manually or use other software if they were lazy. Thanks Fardringle, what do you use by chance? or what have you heard as being the best or feature rich?