Anton Yelchin dead

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Dang, I really liked him in the new Star Trek movies. RIP :(

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Alright, any issues with members posts, use the report post function.

Quit commenting about this in the thread.

Sure. Never tried it in Tapatalk. Didn't realize it existed. Leaving that annoying sig...

Edit: Darn. I can't do it. Something about my password?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, now you're just being obtuse.

I told you to quit commenting in the thread so you come back to acknowledge my post?

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
That's a low-blow.

* autocorrect, wasn't meant to be a slight. edited post.

He was also excellent in Odd Thomas, you should check it out if you haven't seen it.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
TMZ, I think, said his car was in neutral. Guessing there was an "issue" with the parking brake? Hope he wasn't trying to "catch" his car, but I'm leaning towards that.

Anyone else have baseless speculation to add?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
TMZ, I think, said his car was in neutral. Guessing there was an "issue" with the parking brake? Hope he wasn't trying to "catch" his car, but I'm leaning towards that.

Dunno, even if trying to stop a car like that and you clearly can not, you would think he would have jumped out of the way before then.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
http://www.tmz.com/2016/06/19/star-trek-anton-yelchin-dead/

He played Chekov in the new Star Trek movies.

He was pinned between his car and the mailbox. His car was in neutral and apparently he has a steep inclined driveway at his house. :(

how about adding 'Checkov' to your title, OP?
the only reason why I knew was that i saw the cnn report.

why the heck did he stick the car in neutral on a incline, then get out?!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

A lot of celebrities drive sports cars, might have been a stick-shift & rolled down in neutral. They mentioned a steep driveway. What a horrible way to go :(

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
^What he said?

Dunno, even if trying to stop a car like that and you clearly can not, you would think he would have jumped out of the way before then.

Rich celebrity + expensive car + lost control of the situation. Regardless, it was a tragic accident, no one else got hurt, so that just sucks.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Leaving the house, he was outside the gate and the car rolled back on him. Looks like there was nowhere to go. Probably had his back to the car and didn't even see it coming.

anton-yelchin-gate-accident-scene-tmz-wm-6.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.137...4!1sVQxAm4gdjavLoCFQWcqs5g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Nasty way to go. Hope it was quick but I have a feeling it was lingering. RIP

Obviously best known for Star Trek, but he was also Kyle Reese in the 2009 Terminator film.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
R.I.P.

The actors in the TOS of course will always be first ones who portrayed those characters but in the new movies the new actors acquitted themselves quite well in their respective roles. In my opinion anyone who says differently is just being biased.

Chaptorial

Feb 7, 2010
RIP Remember first seeing him in 'Alpha Dog' where he was excellent.

Any idea on the year of his Jeep Grand Cherokee? There's a huge recall and issue going on with the 2014-15 models regarding the electronic shifter. Multiple people are having a hard time successfully shifting it into park and have been exiting there vehicles with the car in neutral or reverse and having the car roll forward or back unexpectedly. It's user error though, not a malfunction in the design.

Chrysler replaced the electronic shifter for the 2016 model year to a more traditional gate shifter in direct response to the problems and complaints people were having. Wondering if this was a cause in the accidental death of Yelchin?

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Gawd damn. Such a tragic loss. Really liked him in the ST reboot. He along with Simon Pegg & Karl Urban provided a much needed comedic dose to the franchise. RIP.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Any idea on the year of his Jeep Grand Cherokee? There's a huge recall and issue going on with the 2014-15 models regarding the electronic shifter. Multiple people are having a hard time successfully shifting it into park and have been exiting there vehicles with the car in neutral or reverse and having the car roll forward or back unexpectedly. It's user error though, not a malfunction in the design.

Chrysler replaced the electronic shifter for the 2016 model year to a more traditional gate shifter in direct response to the problems and complaints people were having. Wondering if this was a cause in the accidental death of Yelchin?

Hopefully investigation would be done, if indeed it could have been a contributing factor.

http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/fca-recall-11-million-vehicles-confusing-shifter

The issue itself is not a fault of engineering but rather design, as the shifter returns to the default center position without giving the driver sufficient feedback as to the selected gear.
As a result, a number of owners have exited their vehicles thinking that they had put the vehicle into Park, while in reality it remained in Drive or Reverse position. The NHTSA has called the operation of the shifter "unintuitive" and had opened an investigation into the issue months ago.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
ofc i knew it was pavel. i wanted to see if you knew. pavel. not the famous writer, anton.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
If it was indeed a Grand Cherokee, that stupid shifter may have claimed a victim...

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
In general the entire new cast does an amazing job replicating the roles we've known, but his was one of the few I'd say may have even been the better version.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
In general the entire new cast does an amazing job replicating the roles we've known, but his was one of the few I'd say may have even been the better version.
Trek fans will shank you for that but really, someone young to die in a freak accident. That really sucks