Anti-war protestors lay down on Manhattan's 5th Ave halting traffic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Kaiynne
"As long as it was on top of the protestors. that way I at least know I accomplished the task."

Man sounds like you just came out of a terrorist training camp yourself.

And as for the guy who thinks that the majority of protestors are out just to cause anarchy, what is the breakdown for the people who blindly support the war in a place that they barely understand. I would wager that the amount of people protesting that have half a clue what they are talking about is much much higher than those that our busily sticking an american flag on every empty space they can find.

You have obviously never tried to speak to one of them. I have and of the couple or dozen or so I have spoken with only 2, count em 2, had any idea about what they were really protesting.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: flavio
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Who's up for a road trip to NYC? I can fit about 9 people in my Durango. The more weight the better because I don't want to have to keep backing up, pulling forward, backing up, pulling forward, repeat just to make sure I got em.

It would be nice if the truck exploded in a big ball of flame while you were all still in it.

Now THAT would be funny.
Maybe you missed what I drive.....it's a Durango, not a Pinto.

Kaiynne

Feb 23, 2003
Originally posted by: BigJ2078

Thats the same as me saying that the amount of people who are pro-war that have half a clue what they're talking about is much higher than those jumping on the "its cool to protest" bandwagon. Bunch of bullsh!t either way.

The main reason why people are having problems with this is most likely due to the fact it is:
1) affecting people who have nothing to do with the war and could be anti-war themselves
2) putting countless lives in danger if God forbid that there was a fire or some other emergency that necessitated going through that street
3) The countless number of situations that could've resulted from the protests, including someone getting run over and/or severely injured
4) This is no longer innocent protesting, it is now grounds for criminal persecution

1) If you supported the protestors and believed in civil disobediance as a way of disrupting such things as financial centers, yet couldn't actively become involved for whatever reason, i think the fact that your ability to get to work was disrupted would actually be welcomed.
2) That is a good point, and there are allways considerations like that to take into account, however, if you truly believed that what was happening in Iraq was wrong, more harm would be done there than could possibly be done by blocking the streets, especially because the areas that are targeted for blocking are usually not heavily residential.
3) I think that is just a restated number 2, but if for example a protestor was hurt i think they would say that they had realised that there was a chance that they could be injured but they went anyway. It is allways neccesary to way the pros and cons of any action you may take.
4) I don't know that the way you put your ideas into point form was all that coherant because usually numbered points are reserved for a list of similiar items, your last numbered point is merely a conclusion drawn from the previous point hence it could be argued that it should have been stated outside of those points. But then with the combined 2nd and 3rd points you would have been left really with only two points, much less impressive. But that is rather pedantic.

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
i wish they would've blocked the lane for an ambulance, this way they would now be putting peoples lives in jeopardy. Arrest the scum.

Protest all you want, but be considerate of your fellow citizens.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaiynne
"As long as it was on top of the protestors. that way I at least know I accomplished the task."

Man sounds like you just came out of a terrorist training camp yourself.

And as for the guy who thinks that the majority of protestors are out just to cause anarchy, what is the breakdown for the people who blindly support the war in a place that they barely understand. I would wager that the amount of people protesting that have half a clue what they are talking about is much much higher than those that our busily sticking an american flag on every empty space they can find.

I'll take that wager.

Banana

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Who's up for a road trip to NYC? I can fit about 9 people in my Durango. The more weight the better because I don't want to have to keep backing up, pulling forward, backing up, pulling forward, repeat just to make sure I got em.
The funniest thing is that they'll be killed by a gas-guzzling truck! Now that's irony! LOL . . .