Anti-Virus Software Poll

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Asking because at work the anti-virus software is horrible. It never protects against the newest viruses, and it seems to be completely unable to deal with attachments unless they are saved to the local hard disk first, which isn't standard practice. I have never used anti-virus software on my computers and I have been fine.

Nov 5, 2001
If thats the case then they need to invest in some good corporate AV software. That is terribly stupid. As is running at home wihout it. I view it like a condom....probably never need it's protection from an STD, but it's there if I need it!

Bassyhead

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2001
I used to use Norton but now use McAfee because I get it for free from my school. I dont always have it running, sometimes I just manually scan a suspicious file myself. I do nightly whole drive scans.

Nov 5, 2001
AVG for personal use, enough said.

Still weighing options for upgrade at work to NAV Corp Edit 2004 or TrendMicro

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Bassyhead
I used to use Norton but now use McAfee because I get it for free from my school. I dont always have it running, sometimes I just manually scan a suspicious file myself. I do nightly whole drive scans.

Talk about paranoid. If you're going to waste time doing nightly whole drive scans you might as well leave it up and running. If you're not going to then scan once a week/month.

tomstevens26

Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
AVG for personal use, enough said. Still weighing options for upgrade at work to NAV Corp Edit 2004 or TrendMicro

I use the free version of AVG. I was a NAV user for years and was a little skeptical to switch, especially to a free product. I've been impressed not only by the lower amount of resources AVG uses (as compared with NAV) but also with the frequency of definition updates. Great product, and the price can't be beat! :)

Tom

OffTopic1

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004

I have to install antivirus at work & it is the crapy Norton AV for enterprise, but I filter all executable at the mail server, and I also use Firefox. At home I uses Linux & various version of Windows with Mozilla & Firefox with no AV software.

ski2slow

Jan 26, 2003
Norton Antivirus at Home. McAfee at work which our IT dept does a pretty good job of keeping it updated.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
AVG at home. I don't worry about me allowing my computer to get infected but after letting my brother-in-law use my computer and my wife's computer and finding out that they were infected with all sorts of trojan horse viruses, spyware, and other crap, I make sure that I have anti-virus software running. I also run ad-aware and spybot on a regular basis and created a log-in on my machines just for him with high restrictions.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I've always run NSW but I am running AVG on my laptop as NSW will not (for whatever reason) run on it.
I've also recently started running a trojan scanner.

OffTopic1

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Queasy
AVG at home. I don't worry about me allowing my computer to get infected but after letting my brother-in-law use my computer and my wife's computer and finding out that they were infected with all sorts of trojan horse viruses, spyware, and other crap, I make sure that I have anti-virus software running. I also run ad-aware and spybot on a regular basis and created a log-in on my machines just for him with high restrictions.
I let my gf use my computer, but I modified her restricted user account with policy settings, set Firebird/Firefox as the default browser, and set the email filter to filter out all executable.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: OffTopic

I let my gf use my computer, but I modified her restricted user account with policy settings, set Firebird/Firefox as the default browser, and set the email filter to filter out all executable.

That's exactly what I did minus the Firebird/Firefox browser. He was might surprised when he couldn't install a game on my machine. Of course, I had told him several times before to not install anything on my PC without my permission. When he wouldn't listen, I took his privileges away.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I have an AV program installed but never use it actively or have it running in the background. About every 3 or 4 months I update the definitions and then scan all my drives just to be sure I'm bug free. In all of the years I've used a computer, since the early 80's, I've never had a virus.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy

but you still let him visit the pron sites right? ;)

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
I don't run any anti-virus software because I don't want to waste my CPU and RAM with something so pointless

Nov 5, 2001
[/i]I don't wear a rubber because I don't want to lose feeling over something so pointless

Seriously, if you're computer is so maxed out that a few CPU cycles froma decent AV program have an important impact, maybe you need to upgrade...

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Nope. Approximately semi-annually, I install and run McAfee VirusScan NT (Which is theoretically incompatible with XP, but I've never seen a problem) and scan the drives. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever found anything.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
[/i]I don't wear a rubber because I don't want to lose feeling over something so pointless
Seriously, if you're computer is so maxed out that a few CPU cycles froma decent AV program have an important impact, maybe you need to upgrade...
Right on, come to campus and preach that for me!

Theres probably 20% of kids on campus here with valid anti virus with correct updates, etc. Probably 75% have something installed and the other 25% feel they are too good to need anti virus. The results of that are internet speeds at less than 56k. It really sucks right now and I'll be lucky to get this posted.

Nov 5, 2001
if EVERYONE ran updated AV, viruses would be almost non-existant. The net would be faster. Everyone would be happy. Except RudeGuy.

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
I have used AVG for the past couple years. Before that I used InoculateIT or whatever the free version was. Before that i used McAfee dos version. When I was doing a lot of work at school and bringing it home and working on it here I found all types of viruses on the floppies I used. But for the past year or 3 I haven't gotten any viruses.