Anti-Taser Jacket

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zach0624

Jul 13, 2007
Originally posted by: wetech
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
They should be banned. Police officers abuse the use of non-lethal weapons, turning them into lethal weapons.

Your right. The police should be left with no other choices except:

A) Ask the criminals nicely to please stop what they're doing and go to jail.
B) Shoot them.

You're joking, right CanOWorms? This whole thread is rediculous, you want to take a stab at the percentage of deaths or serious injury from gunshot wound serious injury would include just about any gunshot scenario while people here are complaing about 2 people dieing out of 1000 and one of those was cause the guy hit his head. What else do you want the police officers to use? Do you want them just to go up to a criminal and say that's a bad thing to do and tell them to apologize? I don't know why people are saying this is left bs, this is just plain stupid.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: zach0624
Originally posted by: wetech
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
They should be banned. Police officers abuse the use of non-lethal weapons, turning them into lethal weapons.

Your right. The police should be left with no other choices except:

A) Ask the criminals nicely to please stop what they're doing and go to jail.
B) Shoot them.

You're joking, right CanOWorms? This whole thread is rediculous, you want to take a stab at the percentage of deaths or serious injury from gunshot wound serious injury would include just about any gunshot scenario while people here are complaing about 2 people dieing out of 1000 and one of those was cause the guy hit his head. What else do you want the police officers to use? Do you want them just to go up to a criminal and say that's a bad thing to do and tell them to apologize? I don't know why people are saying this is left bs, this is just plain stupid.

No. I think that police use the stun gun or other non-lethal weapons in situations where they would otherwise not use such harmful force. It may make their jobs easier, but more dangerous for the public. Also, non-lethal is lethal if you do not use it appropriately.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Kevlar might be a better choice depending on what neighborhood you're traveling through.

mindunder36

Nov 26, 2007

Tasers can kill people who have heart problems or pacemakers... and as an attorney I also believe that they should not be allowed by either criminal or police. People need to
start filing more tort claims and civil rights violation claims against the city and police officers in Federal Court when they misuse force. They are only immune if they use
force to enforce the law. They are not immune if they are acting outside of the law
when they use force.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: mindunder36

Tasers can kill people who have heart problems or pacemakers... and as an attorney I also believe that they should not be allowed by either criminal or police. People need to
start filing more tort claims and civil rights violation claims against the city and police officers in Federal Court when they misuse force. They are only immune if they use
force to enforce the law. They are not immune if they are acting outside of the law
when they use force.

So cops shouldn't have tasers because they might accidentally kill someone in an attempt to use non-lethal force on them but cops should have guns?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: senseamp
To me, tasing a guy for simply speaking is not appropriate, and it is abusive by the police. I don't see why the resident fascists don't get that.

I agree entirely. The idea of "free speech zones" is an affront to the constitution. Police tasering someone because they don't like what they have to say, or because they're recording them is bullshit.

Nebor FTW :D

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: sirjonk

when they use force.

So cops shouldn't have tasers because they might accidentally kill someone in an attempt to use non-lethal force on them but cops should have guns?

Well, that's not where I thought this thread would go, but you make a good point, police are all too often involved in unjustified and mistaken shootings. Once we get the tasers out of their hands, we'll go after their guns next.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

when they use force.

As others have pointed out, the problem is that the tasers come out WAY more often than the guns. You are absolutely right that tasers are a good less-lethal alternative to guns, but that's not how they are being used. Instead, tasers are being used as an alternative to every other kind of police tactic, from talking to less violent methods of subduing someone causing trouble. As an alternative to guns, tasers are fine, as an alternative to talking...not so much.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
The minorities in Omaha, NE need these jackets. Being anything but white and in any event that includes cops is a recipe here for police brutality lately. It's a shame we have so many hoodlums in this city - they came in droves from California because welfare pays well here and the housing is nice - but it is getting ridiculous how often it is happening. Don't be surprised if some nationwide protest gets kicked off because of an incident in the good ole Big O! (Sorry, the exclamation is an inside joke. O! is an Omaha toruism campaign.)

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

Cops are an extension of the executive. Using a taser to punish is akin to being judge, jury, and executioner. The cop does not have the right to meter out punishment and use pale excuses of "it was in the best interest of the public to use non-lethal force." Using the taser is no different than pulling out the billy club and beating the tar out of a suspect.

Obvious Lee

Oct 11, 2008
Citizens,
Why is it always that the flag-waving-so-called-Americans are the ones who have never read the Federalist Papers nor the Constitution for that matter?
Is it not evident when they suggest that if you or I have nothing to hide, we should not mind being forced to disrobe and probed?
Those who profess such do not have any clue as to what it means to be a Self-Governing Citizen of the United States of America.
Those who do not wish to know or who would prefer an authoritarian government with its complementary law enforcement methods should go where those forms of government exist. Japan, England, and many others which are a bit more exposed, for those who would miss the fact of a non-existent written document declaring the rights of the Self-Governed and limitations of the Seated Government, could be optimal choices.
Yes, there is a need for law enforcement. There is a greater need for laws which are based upon sound reason and do not smack of oppression and tyrannical fancy.
It is quite amazing how we have systematically been bludgeoned into giving up our right to defend ourselves with equal and necessary force in exchange for being protected from harm by our justice department's police forces. And in order to enjoy that great benefit which we did not want in the first place, we must submit to any indiginity seen fit by the great protectors.
I for one as a responsible Self-Governing Citizen am capable and willing to forgo my justice departments protective services in exchange for taking back my inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Oh yes, property too.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: XZeroII
If you aren't engaging in activities that piss off the cops, you know, like expressing freedom of speech and assembly, you got nothing to worry about.

Exactly my point. Cops are entirely too taser happy. In the "don't tase me bro" tasering, or the UCLA student tasering, where there was NO violence until the cops initiated it, I'd much rather read the headline: "2 Police officers shot dead in self defense after attacking college student," than all this bull shit tasering the jack booted thugs are doing.

Are you in law enforcement? Have you ever even TALKED with someone in law enforcement? If not, then you are completely unqualified to talk about this. I recently finished a 10 week course with our local Sherrifs department and now I fully understand why they do what they do. They have to put up with crap like the "don't tase me bro" idiots. They don't know what these people are going to do and have to decide whether to take action or not within less than one second. If they wait, then really bad things could happen. It's a judgement call that has to be made immediately and they have to make it. What would you think if there was a crowded room and some lunatic starts running around and screaming? I would certainly think that this guy is a threat and try to take him down as soon as possible. What if he had a bomb? Then we would all be wondering why the police didn't take action sooner.

You just love playing monday morning quarterback and spending MONTHS analyzing what someone should have done when that person only had < 1 second to figure it out themselves.

We pay these fvckers' salaries. So yeah, we are very qualified to tell them what to do.
Your logic would allow cops to murder anyone they want. What if he has a bomb, let's shoot him and ask questions later.

Because you pay taxes you are an expert on everything?

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Obvious Lee
Citizens,
Why is it always that the flag-waving-so-called-Americans are the ones who have never read the Federalist Papers nor the Constitution for that matter?
Is it not evident when they suggest that if you or I have nothing to hide, we should not mind being forced to disrobe and probed?
Those who profess such do not have any clue as to what it means to be a Self-Governing Citizen of the United States of America.
Those who do not wish to know or who would prefer an authoritarian government with its complementary law enforcement methods should go where those forms of government exist. Japan, England, and many others which are a bit more exposed, for those who would miss the fact of a non-existent written document declaring the rights of the Self-Governed and limitations of the Seated Government, could be optimal choices.
Yes, there is a need for law enforcement. There is a greater need for laws which are based upon sound reason and do not smack of oppression and tyrannical fancy.
It is quite amazing how we have systematically been bludgeoned into giving up our right to defend ourselves with equal and necessary force in exchange for being protected from harm by our justice department's police forces. And in order to enjoy that great benefit which we did not want in the first place, we must submit to any indiginity seen fit by the great protectors.
I for one as a responsible Self-Governing Citizen am capable and willing to forgo my justice departments protective services in exchange for taking back my inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Oh yes, property too.

:thumbsup:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I really hope the guy with the patent doesn't make any money off that. I had thought of it a couple years ago, but figured the market would be roughly zero, while the cost to patent it would be much larger. I also thought that since the invention was something obvious to anyone seeking to create a taser proof suit, that the patent wouldn't hold water. It's simply a faraday cage.

FirewolfX

Aug 31, 2008
Taser proof jacket

Looks like we're finally getting some tools to protect us from the taser-happy Jack booted thugs.

I don't think police ought to be allowed to have tasers. They're abused way too much.

Sweet...if you're ever in a situation where that could be an issue, I won't cry when they shoot your ass instead of tazing it.