Anti-Bacterial Soaps Worthless?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Wanna REAL laugh??

The whole "anti-bacterial" trend started right after, and was largely fueled by the AIDS hysteria. Yet none of these products will stop you from getting AIDS.

Hilarious.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: iamme
and they make gooooood cooooookies tooooooooo

the cookies are made here in Richmond, at least some of them are. Interbake I think is the name of the place on broad street.

everytime you drive by there, you can just smell the vanilla and other baked goods... yummy.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pepsei
Originally posted by: iamme
and they make gooooood cooooookies tooooooooo

the cookies are made here in Richmond, at least some of them are. Interbake I think is the name of the place on broad street.

everytime you drive by there, you can just smell the vanilla and other baked goods... yummy.

a long long time ago, you could actually get actual real cookies baked by girl scouts and their families.

This was known as a bake sale. Much much better :cookie:!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
Wanna REAL laugh??

The whole "anti-bacterial" trend started right after, and was largely fueled by the AIDS hysteria. Yet none of these products will stop you from getting AIDS.

Hilarious.

Wait... you mean... anti-bacterial products are not effective against viruses? :p

I've figured this was true for a long time. I just buy whatever soap smells the best and has the best lather.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: jumpr
I've figured this was true for a long time. I just buy whatever soap smells the best and has the best lather.

I love the dial foaming antibacterial soap for those two reasons.

I couldn't care less that it's antibacterial, if they made it without that I'd buy that instead.

Viper GTS

labgeek

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2002
When I worked for a hospital lab, a daughter of the Micro/Bacti lab supervisor did this experiment as a science project. She also found no difference between anti-bacterial and non handsoaps.

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
Originally posted by: deejayshakur
i do infectious disease research and we create resistant strains of bacteria in the lab everyday. but we also screen the antimcrobials to fight these bugs.

personally, i carry an alcohol based hand cleanser from bath and body works and use regular bar soap at home. it doesn't help when everybody else is washing triclosan into the sewers and selecting for resistant strains, but i try to tell people around me to stop using those antibacterial soaps. then again, i've got an entire wall cabinent full of nearly every antimicrobial available at work so what do i care.

on my way to work on the train now :D

Blackberry?

dv1000 + nokia 6230 + tmobile edge