Anti-Aliasing in ME3 w/ Radeon GPU

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
Finally bit the bullet and picked up ME3 on Origin.

With all the in-game settings cranked up, I still have a bunch of GPU power left to burn (I'm only using ~30ish% consistently) so I was looking into how to add SSAA to the game.

First, I disabled default AA from the ME3Config, then added an application setting in CCC (13.3) for ME3.exe, and set the anti-aliasing options to:

AA Mode: Override
AA Samples: 8x
Filter: Standard
AA Method: SuperSample
Morphological Filtering: OFF

After applying/saving, I launch ME3 and the game looks the same and afterburner is telling me I'm using exactly the same amount of GPU power. So presumably that didn't work. Is there a trick to this that I'm missing or does this game just not support "forced" AA from Radeon cards?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I'd suggest looking into the third party app, RadeonPro.

Very nice little app which can set a few useful features in games which the CCC struggles with or doesn't give you the option for (like FXAA, SMAA, SweetFX etc).

They also have a small community forum area in which you can post specific questions if your first attempts appear fruitless.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I've tried enabling SSAA in ME3 before, just with the Catalyst Control Center, and it's caused performance to drop to an unacceptable level for me, so it was definitely doing something. Make sure you're using the right .exe, it's MassEffect3.exe under Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32.

Anyways I don't see much point to using SSAA in this game, as it's not much of a looker to begin with. I find running 4x Adaptive EQAA to be good.

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
ELCS,
I actually downloaded RadeonPro yesterday because I found that some people that it was more useful than CCC, but I hadn't gotten a chance to tinker with it yet. Thanks for the heads-up.

Make sure you're using the right .exe, it's MassEffect3.exe under Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was using it on the right one. Does it matter if I select "override app settings" vs. "enhance app settings?" I'm embarrassed to say that the first time I played with CCC I was pointing it towards MassEffect3Config.exe...:p

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
For Mass Effect 3 you have to use Override since it doesn't support MSAA natively. I use 4x SSAA forced by RadeonPro and only have one issue, some stuttering after I Alt-Tab out and then back in. It's more than worth it to get rid off all the shader/specular aliasing that UE3 games seem to have.

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
Ok, I'm going to check to see if I have any more success forcing it with RadeonPro, I'll report back on the outcome of that.

Thanks for the input folks!

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
Good news!

RadeonPro has allowed me to get the AA options that CCC wouldn't!

I'm experimenting, but as of now, 2xSSAA looks great and still lets me VSync to 60fps! My guess is that 4x/8x are probably out of the question. :p