Anthrax Vaccine primairly for Military Use.

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
Eventually will be widespread to civilians but due to "security measures" will only be provided to military. (the infected people received the antibiotic)

This really sucks.
<edit>
source: dateline nbc...

Vaccine won't be put into distrubution until at least 6 months after FDA approval

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
What sucks even more is that the vaccination consists of three subcutaneous injections given 2 weeks apart, followed by three additional subcutaneous injections given at 6, 12, and 18 months. 6 injections over a 2 year period! And it doesn't give any long-lasting immunity because no actual bacteria are injected. Booster shots are recommended annually.

Simple solution uses high frequency ultrasonic waves or fast-feezing process to fracture the cell wall of the bacteria. Then you inject the dead or dying bacteria under the skin. That would give long-term immunity, but they don't want to risk injecting actual bacteria.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
That vaccine is very controversial, a lot of military personnel don't want it. Heard on NBC news the other night that 20% of people given the vaccine actually became sick with anthrax infection. Many others complained of severe pain lasting for years after the injections.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001

<< Heard on NBC news the other night that 20% of people given the vaccine actually became sick with anthrax infection. >>

There is no bacteria at all in the new vaccine, so no infection is possible.

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
there is a very very important reason that they don't want the vaccine to be in civilian hands right now. If countries like Iraq gets hold of the vaccine, they will use it to develop new strains of biological weapon "resistant" to the vaccine; rendering all current vaccines useless.

Xenon

Oct 16, 1999

<< That vaccine is very controversial, a lot of military personnel don't want it. Heard on NBC news the other night that 20% of people given the vaccine actually became sick with anthrax infection. Many others complained of severe pain lasting for years after the injections. >>

Wow, I guess I was lucky then, I took the series of Anthrax vaccinations before our ship left for the Persian Gulf last year. In fact I don't remember anyone actually getting sick from the vaccines (5000 people), although it did leave this little bump in my arm that took a while to go away.

Just wanted to clarify, I was not saying that I was lucky in taking the anthrax vaccine. I was just trying to point out that those numbers are ridiculous. I know of no one getting "sick" from taking the vaccine, and there was over 5000 people on my ship. So if anyone did get sick, believe me we would have known. We were on the ship for 6 months straight together!

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Wow you're honestly that scared that you think you need an anthrax vaccine?...:confused::Q