Question Antennas For WIFI

retab12332

May 7, 2020
Motherboard is ASUS Z-390-P. I will use a intel wireless 9260 for its M.2 2230 WiFi card slot. But where do I get the antennas to connect it?

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
i mean the other end, where the antenna connects

oh, they will have a standard washer / nut configuration. Your mainboard backplate may have predrilled holes, or templates for pushing them out. Otherwise just find the correct size drill bit and make your own where ever suitable.

retab12332

May 7, 2020
oh, they will have a standard washer / nut configuration. Your mainboard backplate may have predrilled holes, or templates for pushing them out. Otherwise just find the correct size drill bit and make your own where ever suitable.
What are those pre-drilled backplates called ? Can I buy them ?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
What are those pre-drilled backplates called ? Can I buy them ?
They typically come with your mainboard. You either have one or you do not. This is the same plate you typically have USB ports, network port, audio jacks, etc in. It is usually slightly springy and rather thin.

Alternatively, you can just put the two holes in the back of your case somewhere in reach of the wires, and mount the antenna barrels there.

Insert_Nickname referenced a kit above, perhaps it has an alternate approach included.

are you sure you would not rather have something like this?:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=pci+w...r=1&SrchInDesc=bluetooth&LeftPriceRange=18+60

Last edited:

retab12332

May 7, 2020
They typically come with your mainboard. You either have one or you do not. This is the same plate you typically have USB ports, network port, audio jacks, etc in. It is usually slightly springy and rather thin.

Alternatively, you can just put the two holes in the back of your case somewhere in reach of the wires, and mount the antenna barrels there.

Insert_Nickname referenced a kit above, perhaps it has an alternate approach included.

are you sure you would not rather have something like this?:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=pci+w...4114&isdeptsrh=1&Order=1&SrchInDesc=bluetooth
What is the difference in using the on-board M.2 2230 vs the ones you recommend ?

Last edited:

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Your motherboard comes with a Wi-fi capable connector, but no Wi-fi kit. So to connect an M.2 card like the 9260 to the outside, you need the pigtails and antennas. The antenna side are usually RP-SMA connectors. You can source PCI brackets with RP-SMA holes from eBay and the like for a couple of dollars. Likewise, RP-SMA antennas are available from places like eBay, as well as antenna suppliers like Wilson, L-Com, etc. You'd look for RP-SMA antennas focusing on the 2.4 / 5Ghz spectrums.

That all said, the individual cards are sold to allow OEM Integration and customization. If you're looking to put Wi-Fi on your desktop, the easiest way is to ditch the OEM focused 9260 and just buy the Intel Wifi 6 Desktop kit. It comes with the non-CVNi AX200 module, brackets, cables, and antennas.