Antec Nine Hundred Case Mid Tower Case

Billyzeke

Jul 7, 2006
Ive been resisting this deal all morning. I would jump on it, if it didnt have the dust issue. This case is wide open, great for cooling but hell for neat freaks like myself. Great price though.

Doclife

Oct 7, 2007
I like the $45 for a P182 deal better. Too bad, my order for the P182 was cancelled by Fry's yesterday :(.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Awesome deal for a great case. Free shipping too. Tempted to get one just so I can mod it at my leisure, then move everything over when I'm ready.

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
any way to disable those damn blue led's on the fans or do you have to replace the fans?

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: etrin
any way to disable those damn blue led's on the fans or do you have to replace the fans?

You can cut them manually. :) Or you can buy 3-5 black 120mm for $10 or less, then sell the Antec Tri-Leds for $10+. They retail for $15-20.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
I am so depressed about getting rejected by Fry's on my P182

I don't know if I should wait for another deal again or attempt to use a 900...hmm thoughts?

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
power I have a p180 and hate it...the 900 looks better to me...will let you know

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Originally posted by: etrin
power I have a p180 and hate it...the 900 looks better to me...will let you know

Hmmm...

GAH..I don't know what to do:)

I got the PC C 750W PSU now..

I don't know if I should hold out for another P182 deal or Cosmos

or settle for this:)

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
To me this whole debate about the 900 or the 18x series being better comes down to one thing. You either like a case with a DOOR or you don't. I have a 900 and love it, but I hate cases with doors. The 900 has the best cooling performance of any case I have ever owned and the blue LED fans are great(I bought two extra to put on my Thermalright ultra 120 extreme). I got mine back in summer for $79 shipped from FRY's. if you like doors go with the 180's, if not - go with the 900 or better yet wait for the 1200

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
If you check SCPR's review on 182, you would realize the case does not need many fans at all to keep the temps under control. I am willing to bet the 180/182 is the more silent of the two, and with the ease at which we OC our C2D's, I doubt the supposedely superior cooling capability of 900 would prove decidedly useful. A Door? I never even notice it had one until I am about to pull out a HDD or two, since my secondary rig lacks optical drives of any sort. That of course, is all my personal opninon, feel free to disagree. Personally I own a P180 and prefer Antec solo over it (and 900 I would guess).

To me those antec tricools werent acceptable in terms of noise even at the lowest rpm (thx for the reminder in the sig btw, I forget that sometimes :)), had to leave them off.

krunt

Jan 11, 2008
well if your house is dusty, or you have pets that shed (or a wife who has long hair and it turns up everywhere, but i digress) then the openness of the 900 is going to be hell on your components. Not that it will destroy them, but you will have to get inside and clean up your case more often. The 180b and 182 (same, just different color, unlike the 180 which is different, dunno why the 180b wasn't labeled 182b or something) will be quieter and has a bit more in the way of cable management. IF you heavily OC then the open airflow of the 900 will help more, if you aircool. If you water cool i know the 182s have ports for the system built in, i don't know about the 900.

P.S. the door on the 180s can come off, and it folds back flat against the case (opens 270 degrees) so having a door on a 182 is not the same as having a door on other computers.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: konakona
To me those antec tricools werent acceptable in terms of noise even at the lowest rpm (thx for the reminder in the sig btw, I forget that sometimes :)), had to leave them off.

Unless you passively cool or use water, chances are your PSU/CPU/GPU fan will be as loud or louder than the Tri-Cools set on low.

Others had good points about the front door, which is kinda a pain for those who game and have to deal with swapping DRM discs. Same for those who watch movies a lot on their PC. Pretty sure the door can be removed though, but that takes away from the P180/2 clean finish.

In terms of dust, its really not that bad, and better than other cases I've owned in the past. The honey-combed grills are large enough that dust either passes through or can be easily cleaned off with compressed air. Air flow is excellent so airborne dust tends not to build up inside, it just goes out the back or top. I just added a few components and it was nothing a few shots of compressed air didn't take care of. But I also have a HEPA filter under my desk to help keep dust down.

Another big difference is size. I don't really want/like massive cases and tend to keep my rig streamlined for gaming. For those who are used to full towers, you might think the 900 is cramped which is a legitimate complaint.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Originally posted by: chizow
Unless you passively cool or use water, chances are your PSU/CPU/GPU fan will be as loud or louder than the Tri-Cools set on low.

As of now I my current vid card is fanless, and I plan on adjusting fan speeds to keep my new vid card inaudible once it arrives. The CPU is cooled by a ninja coupled with a 120mm Yate Loon running at a very low speed; there is certainly no doubt this is much queiter than a tricool pushing similar amount of air (check SCPR shootout for hard figures if you must). The PSU is is an antec EW (temperature controlled) and I guess I never push it so hard to the point where fans ramp up.

Though I never owned a 900 myself, I have seen it at my local fry's several times and totally wouldnt mind getting one. It is just that I feel the difference in noise output is more readily noticeable across difference cases depending on their construction and design goal. The same cannot be said about cooling IMO between the two cases in question; with c2d CPUs overclocking so effortlessly and with many vid card coolers exhausting hot air directly out of the case, I think the difference would be rather slim. Unless someone could prove me otherwise, that is. P180/182 is already reknowned for their superb cooling potential.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: chizow

As of now I my current vid card is fanless, and I plan on adjusting fan speeds to keep my new vid card inaudible once it arrives. The CPU is cooled by a ninja coupled with a 120mm Yate Loon running at a very low speed; there is certainly no doubt this is much queiter than a tricool pushing similar amount of air (check SCPR shootout for hard figures if you must). The PSU is is an antec EW (temperature controlled) and I guess I never push it so hard to the point where fans ramp up.

Though I never owned a 900 myself, I have seen it at my local fry's several times and totally wouldnt mind getting one. It is just that I feel the difference in noise output is more readily noticeable across difference cases depending on their construction and design goal. The same cannot be said about cooling IMO between the two cases in question; with c2d CPUs overclocking so effortlessly and with many vid card coolers exhausting hot air directly out of the case, I think the difference would be rather slim. Unless someone could prove me otherwise, that is. P180/182 is already reknowned for their superb cooling potential.

120mm Tri-Cool @ SCPR excerpt:

The Low setting was quite impressive; it deserves mention for having one of the quietest "stock" speeds of any fan we've tested, although the airflow drops off proportionally. Nevertheless, 20 dBA@1m is quiet enough that some users may find it inaudible, especially in an office environment where the ambient noise tends to be fairly high.

I've run them alongside enough 120mm fans to know there's no need to doubt the published RPM to dB ratings. Its simple enough to monitor actual RPMs using monitoring software like SpeedFan to see any "big name" fan run at the same RPM will be inaudible over another.

iseestars

Jun 24, 2006
If you check SCPR's review on 182, you would realize the case does not need many fans at all to keep the temps under control. I am willing to bet the 180/182 is the more silent of the two, and with the ease at which we OC our C2D's, I doubt the supposedely superior cooling capability of 900 would prove decidedly useful. A Door? I never even notice it had one until I am about to pull out a HDD or two, since my secondary rig lacks optical drives of any sort. That of course, is all my personal opninon, feel free to disagree. Personally I own a P180 and prefer Antec solo over it (and 900 I would guess).

Tri-cools can be loud.... if they're functioning right they're pretty quite, but they have a tendency of having the bearings grind or something.

I bought some antec tricools for my case at one point. Now I have yate loons and they're much quieter.

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
Well I thought that my 180 was a little loud, so I purchased 4 of the Noctua SUPER QUIET great air flow (thats what the reviewers said)
put them in the 180..Noise did go down a little, yes it was a noticible change in the sound of the case, from very noticible and didn't want to watch tv in that room to ok its there but its ok.
Case temps went up 5C and cpu temps went up 4C so there is a big difference in cooling the 180 and sound. This was all tri cools running on med.
Stupid me should have got temps with all of them on low before swapping them out... D O H

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
I've run them alongside enough 120mm fans to know there's no need to doubt the published RPM to dB ratings. Its simple enough to monitor actual RPMs using monitoring software like SpeedFan to see any "big name" fan run at the same RPM will be inaudible over another.

the idea is some fans make some odd noise at lower RPMs, and fans do have differing tone to their noise. more importantly, certain fans push more air at the same noise floor. thats precisely why people praise nexus's and yate loons, and my observations concur with the general consensus. to some of us "quietest stock" is not enough (for adequate cooling, or increased noise in case you ramp it up to cool it better). the reason why I mentioned tricool's performance is just to show how people have differing ideas about what constitues "quiet".

Nonetheless, I liked the aesthetics of the 900, better than the coolermaster counterparts. This is/was indeed a good deal, and sorry about derailing.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
those blue led's look annoying and the side window would make the lights flicker all over the place.