Antec NE650M

torlen11cc

Jun 22, 2013
Hey,
I have searched the Net for two hours, but I haven't found information about Antec Neo Eco 650W Modular PSU. The only information I have been able to get for the above power supply is: http://ksp.co.il/link.php?uin=26423 (PDF file).
The reason that I'm interested in this specific power supply is that I have a possibility of getting it for cheap, and it's supposed to handle a system that contains Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X GPU, i7 4790 CPU, 8GB of RAM.
Do you have any idea why there is no reviews of this power supply on the web? Or at least why it doesn't appear on the official website of Antec?
And it's fairly suspicious that there is no information on the web about it, so it's completely impossible to judge its reliability and/or its performance in practice.

a8d4e57c504ebc100598d5d9ff703925.png

Thanks.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
It is a Channel Well Technologies GPK platform. The Coolermaster GM series use that as well

torlen11cc

Jun 22, 2013
Here is a review of a similar PSU. Thoroughly mediocre but it should handle your components. How cheap is cheap and what options do you have?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=430

It seems like an OK power supply and nothing more.
Despite having read the review its difficult for me to formulate an opinion about the NE650M since it doesn't indicate the performance of this power supply... However, these are two different power supplies.
I have the possibility of buying another one, Antec's VP600P, but I'm doubtful as to how much better it is than the NE650M, if at all.
Which one would you go for if these were your only options? And I want to note that in the end the card isn't R9 290 like I wrote but R9 390.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Actually I may have been wrong about the Antec NeoEco using the same platform as the Cooler Master, I think it is actually more similar to this

https://translate.google.com/transl...-wpm-v2-wpm-bronze-netzteil-test/&prev=search

There isn't much information on either of the Antec units you listed. The VP600P is a FSP Hyper platform.

Both of them appear to be pretty old technology wise. If those were the only units I had to choose from, I would probably go with the Neo Eco.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Actually I may have been wrong about the Antec NeoEco using the same platform as the Cooler Master, I think it is actually more similar to this

https://translate.google.com/transl...-wpm-v2-wpm-bronze-netzteil-test/&prev=search

There isn't much information on either of the Antec units you listed. The VP600P is a FSP Hyper platform.

Both of them appear to be pretty old technology wise. If those were the only units I had to choose from, I would probably go with the Neo Eco.

You were right both time, other than maybe about the Coolermaster. The NE650M is CWT GPK, as are two sharkoons and the new Thermaltake Germany models. It's pretty new, so there doesn't appear to be much in the way of reviews out there.

cruzinforit

Mar 16, 2013
Huh. Disappointing. I think that the Neo Eco C 620W was SeaSonic.

The Neo Eco C series was in fact made by Seasonic. However, it does use non Tier I capacitors on the secondary. Of the two 400C I've had, both have NCC primary cap, but one has Teapo on the secondary, and the other has Su'scon.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
but one has Teapo on the secondary
what exactly was wrong with TEAPO?? According to badcaps.net the peeps over there call TEAPO good capacitors! Maybe not the very best but very adequate to do the job! If I am not mistaken in the days when PC Power & Cooling was the top dog they used a lot of TEAPO capacitors!

Last edited:

torlen11cc

Jun 22, 2013
In the end I bought the NE650M power supply together with the R9 390 Nitro.
I'm currently waiting for the card to arrive to me, and I hope that everything will be ok.

cruzinforit

Mar 16, 2013
what exactly was wrong with TEAPO?? According to badcaps.net the peeps over there call TEAPO good capacitors! Maybe not the very best but very adequate to do the job! If I am not mistaken in the days when PC Power & Cooling was the top dog they used a lot of TEAPO capacitors!

Teapos are "all right" but I personally would prefer something with Rubycon, Nippon chemi-con, Sanyo, or Nichicon. (Not that you really see Sanyo or Nichicon in SMPS very often)

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
I wasn't even aware Antec used CWT at all. But I guess haven't looked many up lately.

I'd be leery using it myself.

The Truepower and Smartpower units from about 10 years ago that used horrible leaking Fuhjyyu capacitors were CWT.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Teapos are "all right" but I personally would prefer something with Rubycon, Nippon chemi-con, Sanyo, or Nichicon. (Not that you really see Sanyo or Nichicon in SMPS very often)
TEAPOs have no issues in power supplies...but they have issues when used for other things! They are considered "good" for power supplies!!

cruzinforit

Mar 16, 2013
TEAPOs have no issues in power supplies...but they have issues when used for other things! They are considered "good" for power supplies!!

You can say that all you want, but I've seen plenty of bulging teapos in older power supplies, whereas I've never seen a bad NCC/Rubycon PSU cap.

If I'm buying a high-end/quality power supply, I want Japanese brand caps, not Taiwanese or Chinese.