Antec Earthwatt 500W, 5+ years old, can it power a Haswell ?

crockman

May 15, 2005

crockman

May 15, 2005
Yes it's enough.

Thanks, I don't think I worded my Question properly, sorry. It's not really the wattage/power I'm concerned about, actually the 4670k i5 is only 84Watt compared to my present Phenom I that's 95Watt.

My concern is, my Antec is 6 years old technology. A lot of this new Stuff available will say "Haswell Compatible or Haswell Ready, etc.."

Do Haswell's require any specific newer Technology from a PSU that my Older PSU doesn't have ?, such as it needs to be 2.3v not just 2.2v etc... ? or is that "Haswell Compatible' comment just a Marketing Gimmick ?

Thanks

Feb 25, 2011
No, they don't require anything the older gen i3/i5/i7s didn't. That's just marketing.

My only complaint about older PSUs is that they always have too many Molex and not enough sata power connectors.

Last edited:

crockman

May 15, 2005
No, they don't require anything the older gen i3/i5/i7s didn't. That's just marketing

Thanks, wasn't sure so figured I'd ask to be on the safe side.

My only complaint about older PSUs is that they always have too many Molex and not enough sata power connectors.

I normally only use 1 maybe 2 hard drives, so sata connectors are not a big concern. The molex do come in handy for cheapy case fans, but with this new build i think ill use as many pwm fan's that my MB will support.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks, wasn't sure so figured I'd ask to be on the safe side.

I normally only use 1 maybe 2 hard drives, so sata connectors are not a big concern. The molex do come in handy for cheapy case fans, but with this new build i think ill use as many pwm fan's that my MB will support.

Typically, motherboards support PWM only for the CPU fan. But here's a tip: you can connect five PWM fans to the same CPU fan header using a splitter cable that gets its power from the PSU. Then all your case fans will be regulated according to CPU temperature

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
Do Haswell's require any specific newer Technology from a PSU that my Older PSU doesn't have ?, such as it needs to be 2.3v not just 2.2v etc... ? or is that "Haswell Compatible' comment just a Marketing Gimmick ?

Haswell cpu's have a new low powerstate called 'C7'. Before launch the warning was that this new C7 state uses so little power that it might cause the psu to activate its undercurrent protection and shut down the pc*

There have been examples of people using Haswell and old psu's but not experiencing any trouble. If you by any form of chance do experience this, turn off C7 state in bios.

* it's a bit more complicated than that but I'll spare you the details, unless you really want to know.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
There have been examples of people using Haswell and old psu's but not experiencing any trouble.

From what I know, this is as a result of having some load on the +12V while in sleep mode, e.g. from a fan connected directly to the PSU or from a graphics card.

crockman

May 15, 2005
Typically, motherboards support PWM only for the CPU fan. But here's a tip: you can connect five PWM fans to the same CPU fan header using a splitter cable that gets its power from the PSU

Thanks, I didn't know that splitter existed. Will have to pick one up

Haswell cpu's have a new low powerstate called 'C7'. Before launch the warning was that this new C7 state uses so little power that it might cause the psu to activate its undercurrent protection and shut down the pc*

Thanks, that was the Info I was looking for. I had read something was unique about the Haswell but couldn't remember what it was.

From what I know, this is as a result of having some load on the +12V while in sleep mode, e.g. from a fan connected directly to the PSU or from a graphics card.

My Graphics has a 6-pin connector, so hopefully my older Earthwatt wont have any trouble with C7 mode

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I've had systems shut down (probably due to a bad PSU) when putting a low load, just above idle on a C6-enabled CPU.

These low power states, and the quick cycling in and out of them puts a stress on the PSU, where it's sometimes not able to keep up with the fluctuation in power draw, and gets "caught out" unable to stabilize the voltage.

But, usually you should be able to test the PSU in a variety of scenarios, and if it's stable, there's no problem. If the PC shuts off unexpectedly, the prime suspect should be the PSU.

Problematic loads are often things like watching movies, browsing the web, and similar low intensity workloads, probably more so, when the load is spread across multiple cores, which get power gated on-and-off in sub-millisecond intervals.

But, as previous posters pointed out, there's no a priori indication, that the PSU shouldn't work.