Antec EA500W will handle GTX470?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
no it doesn't and you should know that you don't simply add the 12v lines together. as already mentioned twice it has a max of 408 watts on the 12v line and that's when its brand new. he would certainly be pushing it especially for long term use. if he was to oc the card then he absolutely would be at the very limit.

You cheated and zoomed in on the picture. lol I thought it said 500 watts continous and max of 44A, but on the power supply picture it shows 500 watt max and 408 max on the 12v rails. That being the case I still have yet to break 650 watts draw from the wall during normal gaming with my PC. That is roughly 530 watts from the power supply itself. If I subtract one of my 470's I am left with just about 350 watts for the whole system. So yes the OP's PSU will be loaded close to 80 percent; but if he doesn't OC the card he will even be less than 350 watts draw so I think it would be okay. I don't see where the CPU is even OC'd. If neither the CPU nor the 470 will be OC'd he will have no problems at all.

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK< I have burned out 6 power supplies running different video cards on my boxes. I have mostly burned out 550 and 600 watt units, never a 700 one so far. The LAST thing I would do is put a 470 on a 500 watt PSU. If it burned out due to that 470, you can loose a lot of hardware.

Just upgrade the PSU IMO.