Antec 300 side fan filter issue.

Oct 30, 2004
I just obtained an Antec 300 case and I'd like to add a side intake fan and filter. However, the grill (integrated with the side panel) sticks out. I want to add this magnetic filter on the outside, would I have a problem? Would I need to take a rubber mallet and pound the grate flat?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999234

EDIT: Now that I think about it. I can just tape used dryer fabric softner sheets to the side and it doesn't matter if the grate sticks out and it would be free. Ghetto, but free.

Here's the specs of the rig I bought ($600, essentially brand new)

Core i5-3570K (quad core, Ivy Bridge, unlocked, OC to 4.5 Ghz)
Corsair H60 Water Cooler HSF
8 GB generic RAM from a Dell (2x2x2x2)
ASUS P8Z68-V LX mobo
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 2GB DDR5 (special model for Best Buy)
128 GB Kingston HyperX SSD
Windows 8 Pro
Antec BP550 Plus modular power supply
Antec 300 case (only has the rear and top fans)
DVD-RW drive

Last edited:

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Maybe cut the current grate completely out, then put the part in your link over top of it? Being careful of course to not leave too sharp of an edge that you get cut, or doing a bad enough job the new grille doesn't cover your handywork.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I don't see a big problem with putting the filter on the inside. However if you're adding fans and don't have front fans yet, I'd recommend populating those front slots first.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2004
I suppose I could cut the grate with a wire cutter; I don't have a Dremmel or anything like that. I want to keep the filter on the outside for ease of cleaning (if it's magnetic (no screws) then it would be super easy to remove, clean, and replace it).

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I had this issue and the magnetic one wouldnt work due to the grate sticking out. If you are willing to take out the grate go for it, in the end i didnt want to mutilate the thing and i didnt like the idea of something sticking on the outside of the case anyways so i just got a standard 120mm fan filter and installed it inside the case, in front of the fan. It wont be easy to take out and clean but i plan to simply take the side panel off then spray it with canned air from the inside out to clean it.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Get some compressed air and blow it through the filter from the inside while holding a vacuum cleaner on the outside

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Use this instead. The over sized 140mm will fit nicely over any protrusion. I did the same with mine, 120mm fans at the side with 140mm filters over it. The grill on mine is flat but the rubber grommets at the 4 corners would mean mounting a 120mm filter impractical. As the frame is 1cm thick, a 120mm will fit just snugly in the middle.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I don't think that'll work, dma0991. You can't tighten a 140mm filter with screws on a 120mm slot.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
I don't think that'll work, dma0991. You can't tighten a 140mm filter with screws on a 120mm slot.
You don't have to tighten the filters with screws as there are held magnetically at the side of the case. I intentionally left it that way without screws as it makes it a whole lot easier to remove and clean. Here's mine.
kiLpA.jpg

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
FWIW, I only ever clean my filters from the outside - the side the dust mostly collects on - with a vacuum once in a while. Seems to be enough. I don't feel any need to bother with really removing them to do anything better.

I'm not saying you don't need to, and if it's easy to remove and clean then sure why not. For me though, the ability to totally remove a filter or not wouldn't make or break a decision on what to use and how to mount it. A quick vac seems to work, and that's coming from a neat freak.

Oct 30, 2004
I'm becoming more and more comfortable with the idea of cutting the grill off and just having an aluminum filter grate on the outside. I have a grate like that (80mm) for my current Chieftec Matrix case and I've been pretty happy with it; I just brush it off with a nylon brush once a week or two and I can feel the air being pulled through it. I wouldn't mind something similar for the Antec, something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/120mm-Aluminum...ase+fan+filter

(Never have to take it off, just brush it with a nylon bristle brush.)

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
@dma0991 that may not work in Antec 300 where the mesh on the side slot is uneven
From the pictures I looked earlier, the bump wasn't that obvious but now that there's a clearer picture, its quite a large one. Still could make it work but it requires a minor mod or magnet/small metal disc stacking to make up for the gap. Wouldn't look good though.

@OP, you could probably cut off the grill with some wire cutters and sandpaper to smooth the rough edges.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
I actually just got that 120mm silverstone mesh filter for the side of my Antec 300. You will not be able to attach it from the outside due to the fan grill protruding out.

My plan was to just slap it on magnetically from the inside, but unfortunately the magnets will not contact the case sufficiently enough if you place it square with the fan holes (and even if they did the fan grill is still slightly larger than the filter). For now I have it slightly rotated so the magnets make proper contact with the case.

I'll probably get the 140mm filter since I'm just looking to prevent dust from entering.

jhhoffma

Jan 14, 2013
Do you really want to use that intake though? Honestly, the case has plenty of front to back airflow as is.

I actually blocked mine off, using some automotive headliner fabric sandwiched between the case panel and a spare fan I wasn't using.

You could do something similar using a piece of black plastic or metal. Just make sure it's a bit bigger than the outside of the screwholes. You could even use some silicone caulk or something to seal it airtight to the case panel and prevent dust from getting in that way.

Just sayin'...

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
You don't really need to occupy every fan slot they give you. Its there only if you actually need it. Otherwise, I could do with a sealed case with 2 fans, 1 intake and 1 exhaust.

You have a better chance of cooling your PC by having better and bigger heatsinks that saps directly the heat from those components. Having case fans is an indirect approach so the difference in having 4 case fans compared to 8 case fans is very little.

The only thing different you'll find is 1-2C difference in temps and a tad bit louder.

xilience

Jun 17, 2005
You should have no problem as long as there isn't a large open space between. Basically as long as all the air still passes through the filter, you're golden.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
In my testing with a single overclocked GPU (560 ti, 7950), it makes almost no difference to temperatures, it just seems like an unnecessary increase in noise levels. I can imagine it being more useful in setups with two video cards where front-intake air doesn't really get between the cards.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
You don't really need to occupy every fan slot they give you. Its there only if you actually need it. Otherwise, I could do with a sealed case with 2 fans, 1 intake and 1 exhaust.

You have a better chance of cooling your PC by having better and bigger heatsinks that saps directly the heat from those components. Having case fans is an indirect approach so the difference in having 4 case fans compared to 8 case fans is very little.

The only thing different you'll find is 1-2C difference in temps and a tad bit louder.

I agree with this myself,i have a 3930k build housed in a antec 300 with 2 fans in the front,the 140mm on top and the 120mm in the back and can certainly agree about the addition fans not doing much of anything.

I went with the stock cooler for my 3930k,prime95 a couple cores can peak at 81 cel so i went as far as i could for cooling,used a big box fan on high speed and it only dropped my load temp about 3 cel,my gpu about 2 cel for all that noise and airflow.

Decided then i needed a better cpu cooler and a better gpu cooler if i want cooler temps over the proposed 2 addition fans i was gonna purchase and install.:thumbsup:

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
OP: if you still want to filter the side then I can confirm the 140mm silverstone magnetic filter covers the entire fan grill from the inside of the antec 300.

Oct 30, 2004
OP: if you still want to filter the side then I can confirm the 140mm silverstone magnetic filter covers the entire fan grill from the inside of the antec 300.

I just screwed a fan into the side panel...would the 140mm Silverstone mag filter work if it were on the outside with the stock fan guard in place?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I'd rather have a 120mm filter on the inside - while it may not cover the whole grille, it will cover the fan's blades which is where the air will be moving