Another white cop shoots black guy thread

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Initial viewing shows the guy looking to have dropped his gun. I watched it slowed down and the guy seems to be raising the gun from the ground as the cop draws his firearm. However, the man then turns around, not facing the cop, as the cop fires his weapon. Likely the connecting shot was in the man's back, which is bad news for the cop. I think its right on the line because it happened so quickly.

My initial reaction is slightly toward misuse of his firearm, but damn its tough because the man did raise what looks like a weapon toward the cop only one or two seconds before the cop fired.

One thing is for sure, the body cam helps a ton. No cover up. I can see how crazy it looks to be a cop. Seeing a running man draw a weapon from the ground would be a pretty scary situation.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Initial viewing shows the guy looking to have dropped his gun. I watched it slowed down and the guy seems to be raising the gun from the ground as the cop draws his firearm. However, the man then turns around, not facing the cop, as the cop fires his weapon. Likely the connecting shot was in the man's back, which is bad news for the cop. I think its right on the line because it happened so quickly.

My initial reaction is slightly toward misuse of his firearm, but damn its tough because the man did raise what looks like a weapon toward the cop only one or two seconds before the cop fired.

One thing is for sure, the body cam helps a ton. No cover up. I can see how crazy it looks to be a cop. Seeing a running man draw a weapon from the ground would be a pretty scary situation.

Can't see the video at work but if its as your described the body cam may help the cop. May not get him off 100% but better than you shot him in the back... and then people add as he was surrendering, moving away, etc...

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Probably a good shoot. He had a weapon, had pointed it at the cop, and could still be considered a danger to the public given he had made credible threats and showed the weapon to at least one person there prior to the officer engaging him to be patted down.

Play Stupid Games...

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think it was a good shoot. I wouldn't take the chance. Know what shocks me the most? The fact that the cop was actually able to HIT his fucking target. Shit like that seems pretty rare these days. I'm also surprised at how fast the man died from the gun shot. No bleeding out or anything. Pretty much an instant kill. How does that happen?

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I think it was a good shoot. I wouldn't take the chance. Know what shocks me the most? The fact that the cop was actually able to HIT his fucking target. Shit like that seems pretty rare these days. I'm also surprised at how fast the man died from the gun shot. No bleeding out or anything. Pretty much an instant kill. How does that happen?

Two things.

First, in the cop's favor, this was on a public road. The perp was running, armed and within access to any vehicle (and occupants) on the road that were passing by. Pretty clear to be the case in this video.

Second, hit a vital organ and yes indeed they can die that quickly.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Without the cam, people would be saying this cop shot an innocent guy at a wedding.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I see a man running, then he stops to grab something.

If you want to run... then run.
If you want to surrender... then hands up.

The officer must assume the guy wanted to do neither when he stopped his own escape in order to grab something. I find no fault in his actions here.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
Whether or not it was a good shoot (and in my personal opinion it was not), I can already tell you this guy won't be going to trial. Too blurry, too much movement, no way to clearly tell what the guy was holding or if picked anything up. Benefit of the doubt goes to cop.

Even in trail, I would have to find the cop not guilty on the basis of reasonable doubt, because that could be a gun but the video is too low res to tell.

Why can't we give the cops even basic go pro quality cameras? This is a failure of whomever bought these crappy body cams.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Without the cam, people would be saying this cop shot an innocent guy at a wedding.

People on the internet maybe.

According to the people at the wedding, he announced he had a gun, announced he had a bullet with her name on it, and at one point tried to give the gun to someone when it became apparent that someone called the police or the police were there.

Pretty evident that police body cams are valuable to have for the police departments, individual officers, and for the public's sake.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Not many people are harder on cops than I am and I can't fault the officer. While it does look like he dropped his gun it is reasonable for the officer, in that split second, to think he was getting his gun out to use it against the officer. I sure as hell don't want to let a bad guy pick up a gun when I'm chasing him.

I also slow mo'd it and the officer had already decided to shoot before the kid started running again. Regardless, gun in hand + bad guy running + reasonably thinking he intended to use it (it was concealed at the start and ended up in his hand during the chase) = good shoot in my book. Kid could have started spraying bullets while running endangering not only the cop but all of the other innocent people around.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

I was thinking the same thing, he only fired 5 rounds at a decent distance and a moving target and he scored at least one almost perfect center mass hit.

I didn't like how he was holding his gun after the shooting but given his performance I wouldn't give him crap for that.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Good shoot and good shooting. Nothing to fault given the way it unfolded.

TreVader is verging on mcowned levels of stupidity by suggesting that this is a bad shoot. I guess if the cop had already been shot and was bleeding out he might say the cop had the right to shoot back at that point.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
Watched it a few more times, looks to be a good shoot to me. That cop is damn lucky he was wearing that camera. Witnesses would probably say he shot him in the back while the guy was running away and the bullet wounds may corroborate their story. However, watching the video its completely different. Perp was raising his gun as the cop opened fire.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Watched it a few more times, looks to be a good shoot to me. That cop is damn lucky he was wearing that camera. Witnesses would probably say he shot him in the back while the guy was running away and the bullet wounds may corroborate their story. However, watching the video its completely different. Perp was raising his gun as the cop opened fire.
True, that asshole who rolls up on the officer would definitely try to say he shot him in the back and planted the gun or something. It got real way quick, illustrates why why I would not want to be a cop especially by myself.

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
The first time I thought the guy pulled out a gun when he had his hands in his pocket. Then i realized it was a phone. He probably dropped his phone when he was running.

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014

It's much harder to hit something when you are full of adrenaline than sitting at a range shooting targets. VERY hard to hit a moving target on top of that, though it looks like this guy was running away straight, not left or right.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Ridiculous. Shooting a fleeing person in the back, without knowing what the person did or is doing?

We need some real men in the police, not these weaklings.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
I can't really tell what the guy running was doing when he was fumbling around at the ground to be honest. Did they find a gun on the scene? Was he grabbing for one? If so, cop is off scott free even though he shot the guy in the back, but in the cop's defense he only would have shot him in the back a second after the guy was fumbling for a piece.

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
Ridiculous. Shooting a fleeing person in the back, without knowing what the person did or is doing?

We need some real men in the police, not these weaklings.

Lulz. So you're going to let a guy with a gun, who already ran/somewhat assaulted law enforcement, continue with his shenanegains in the open public with cars driving by and possible neighborhoods just over the hill?

Yeah okay buddy. Glad you aren't wearing a badge. This is the best kind of justice in my opinion. If you're dumb enough to do the first half dozen things this guy does, you don't really need to be in public EVER again.

Nov 29, 2006
I can't really tell what the guy running was doing when he was fumbling around at the ground to be honest. Did they find a gun on the scene? Was he grabbing for one? If so, cop is off scott free even though he shot the guy in the back, but in the cop's defense he only would have shot him in the back a second after the guy was fumbling for a piece.

Yeah they found a gun. Didnt you watch the video? Wether he was reaching for it, id have to slow the video down which im not about to try and figure out how to do lol They already knew he had a gun i believe as that was why they showed up in the first place.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
The first time I thought the guy pulled out a gun when he had his hands in his pocket. Then i realized it was a phone. He probably dropped his phone when he was running.

I highly doubt that. They found a gun on him. At around 4:02 in the video you can see the gun that the cop is handing the other cop is silver.