Another voting scenario: Trump federalizes the National Guard and takes control of state voting sites

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
So is the president. Look how that turned out.

Agreed. But look at it from a practical matter. It is far more efficient, and far more likely to be successful, to stick with the tried and true systems of obstruction of the legal ability to vote as well as obstructing the practical ability to vote. Widespread marshal law will almost certainly cause more internal disruption as well as international condemnation.

It's like worrying more about will a meteor strike you while be shackled chest deep in rising water.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The person shot in the head just outside Lafayette Plaza peacefully protesting doesn't think this is a game.

If these "protests" threaten the election, maybe they should take a couple of months off so we can find a non violent solution to our current government. Especially if there is a fear of soldiers guarding the polls. Because the surest way to ensure that it happens, is to keep to the streets this fall.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If these "protests" threaten the election, maybe they should take a couple of months off so we can find a non violent solution to our current government. Especially if there is a fear of soldiers guarding the polls. Because the surest way to ensure that it happens, is to keep to the streets this fall.
We need to find a way to single out the agent provocateurs who I think are inciting most of the violence.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

The 2A is totally a non violent solution. After all, violence isn't part of our history or society, at all, right?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
you being racist??? boy is not exactly a term of endearment...

It's a riff on Foghorn Leghorn. No offense taken.

False premise.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Shooting people isn't a game, pretending that Trump try's to make himself dictator is.
Trump's administration ordered the troops into Lafayette Park. I guess Trump opening admiring only dictators is just a big fat sloppy wet coincidence?

Reactions: ch33zw1z

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Because of the long history of Trump following the rules gives anyone great hope of this option working? For fucks sake, we couldn't even get Republicans to allow evidence to a hearing in order to have an actual trial/impeachment. Trump and the GOP have ZERO concerns for following laws and norms.

I am not saying the outcome is inevitable, but current history says concern over these scenarios is not without merit.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Would the military put the constitution above the commander in chief?

Don't forget - "just following orders" went out the door at the Nuremberg trials.
Remember we have a military where the flying of the confederate battle flag and swastika flag on bases is a problem.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I dunno, I don't think the military will be on board with whatever bullshit Trump and his handlers have in mind.

Trump didn’t necessarily create his path to power. He jumped on board a system that had been build by other people. Abolishing elections would not be the same; this would require Trump to build up a new political system.

Trump’s base is irrelevant in something like this. They are essentially sheep. They’ll do what they’re told but you can’t seize power with a crowd of followers. You need some wolves.

You have to give up this illusion that Trump is secretly a mastermind. He really is as incompetent as he appears. If Trump was a political genius, we wouldn’t be talking about how he’s going to seize power in 2020; he’d win his second election in a normal way like past presidents have done. He’d be plotting for how he was going to seize power in 2024.

It's a given that Trump doesn't want free and fair elections. So..we''ll see what happens. What starts out seeming outrageous becomes normalized after a while. Eyes wide open

Reactions: ch33zw1z

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
We need to find a way to single out the agent provocateurs who I think are inciting most of the violence.
Which is why these protest organizers need to limit the hours of them. Why protest for 18 hours when they still get their point across to only protest during daylight hours.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Which is why these protest organizers need to limit the hours of them. Why protest for 18 hours when they still get their point across to only protest during daylight hours.

Ugh. If their point was getting across, we'd see more change and less protest. At least as far as the protesters are concerned. The time of day doesn't affect the first amendment & a lot of protesters still have day jobs.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You limit when people can protest and what you are min effect saying is we know when you are going to protest so we c an just ignore your protests.....

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Remember we have a military where the flying of the confederate battle flag and swastika flag on bases is a problem.

20 years in and have been on bases all over the world. I have never seen a confederate battle flag or a swastika flag flying on a military base. Much less it being a problem.

There could be isolated incidences of individuals with a sticker or something. They have been banned from being displayed in any fashion on base. The idea that you are presenting as Flags being flown and being an issue on military bases is just a falsehood.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
20 years in and have been on bases all over the world. I have never seen a confederate battle flag or a swastika flag flying on a military base. Much less it being a problem.

There could be isolated incidences of individuals with a sticker or something. They have been banned from being displayed in any fashion on base. The idea that you are presenting as Flags being flown and being an issue on military bases is just a falsehood.
You are being disengenuous! Confederate flags are all over the place. Now swastikas.....eh never seen one!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
No, he's not. The stupid flags might be in a lot of places, but not flying over US military bases.
I did not say it was flying all over military bases! I have served on 3 Military bases back east and Confederate flags are very common place!

Pentagon chief Mark Esper on Friday effectively banned the display of the Confederate flag at all US military facilities, where the banner -- seen by many as racist -- is frequently displayed in barracks and common areas.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You are being disengenuous! Confederate flags are all over the place. Now swastikas.....eh never seen one!

No, I am not.
I have never seen a Confederate flag flying on a military base. If you have evidence that contradicts this I'm all eyes.

Show me some images of Confederate Flags flying on a Military Base.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I did not say it was flying all over military bases! I have served on 3 Military bases back east and Confederate flags are very common place!

Pentagon chief Mark Esper on Friday effectively banned the display of the Confederate flag at all US military facilities, where the banner -- seen by many as racist -- is frequently displayed in barracks and common areas.

Doubt it.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
you being racist??? boy is not exactly a term of endearment...
🤣

Which means Trump would be out of office at the same time & date as if he'd just lost. Think it through. It's a ridiculous conspiracy theory in the first place.

And you tell me over and over and over again my friend, ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm much more worried about vote by mail being sabotaged from above-specifically Trump and his patsy installed as the head of the Postal Service. Ballots being delayed past deadlines, etc. will be very effective and much more deniable.

My state adopted COVID-19 concerns being an acceptable reason for everyone to vote by mail, and is actively encouraging it. We have a primary coming up August 11th. Several weeks ago my wife and I requested ballots. Checked with the town clerk last week, was told there were some hangups due to unprecedented demand but that the mailing out of the ballots was completed July 21st. Just got ours yesterday, postmarked August 1st. If we mailed them back (as encouraged in the directions, and are postprepaid) I doubt they would arrive on time.

Imagine if the Trumpies cause this to be done for 10-20% of the ballots in swing states in the election instead of a meaningless primary? That alone could steal the election.

PS: I personally know the town clerk and even though she is GOP I totally trust what she said.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Trump's administration ordered the troops into Lafayette Park. I guess Trump opening admiring only dictators is just a big fat sloppy wet coincidence?

This is where Greenman's knowledge ends, and he won't better himself with new fangled facts.