Another screwed up lawsuit this one by cop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DonVito
Apparently the Chief of Police has publically critiqued this suit:

?As Chief of Police I do not support the lawsuit filed by Sgt. Eichhorn and her attorney. The City of Casselberry through its workers comp carrier has covered the expenses associated with Sgt. Eichhorn?s on-the-job injury and is not a party to this action. What happened to the Sergeant was an accident. She has been compensated for all time off the job due to this injury.

My heart goes out to the Cosmillo family and in particular, little Joseph, and they are in my prayers.?

Chief of Police John J. Pavlis

pwned. Agreed 100%

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Darwin333
Originally posted by: cardiac
Unless you've worked for a municipality, you wouldn't understand. Our workers comp and health insurance sucks. If I get hurt on the job, it may not even cover all of my medical bills. She probably was NOT trying to take off extra time.

Also, I have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet. If I get hurt on the job, I get ZERO compensation from the other, part-time, job.

Thats what I get for being a firefighter/paramedic for almost 26 years....

I am glad you folks are so understanding here, too. Especially without the facts......

Bob

Look, I agree that we treat our first responders like shit, especially if they get hurt.

However, to sue the family she was responding to (Read: doing her job) because the family wasn't considerate enough to wipe up the water on the floor instead of tending to their injured child?

yeah i am suprised to hear that we are not makeing sure first responders are covered if hurt on the job.

that needs to be fixed. if it cost me a extra $1 on my property tax's or so then fine.

BUT i do think this lawsuit is crap.

I agree whole heartedly. Around here we had a cop that was shot in the head in the aftermath of Katrina. Even though a bunch of cops bailed out and ran this guy stayed and was severely injured in the line of duty. Long story short, he and his family are getting screwed over royally.

His family has lost their home due to medical bills the city is not paying even though they are directly related to his injury. They owe him a crapload of back pay from before he was injured and workers comp has cut him off. Are you kidding me? I'm like you, fuck whatever taxes it costs me but these are the people we should be taking care of FIRST.

In related news, the legislators have voted themselves a raise.

cardiac

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nowhere did I say that I agree with her suing the family. I am just giving a picture of how most municipalities treat their public safety people, even when they get hurt on the job......

Bob

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Nowhere did I say that I agree with her suing the family. I am just giving a picture of how most municipalities treat their public safety people, even when they get hurt on the job......

Bob

Nice change of tone between your first incredibly stupid post and this less but still stupid post. The parents just pretty much lost their fucking child and all she (and you) can think about is how to complain more loudly than the next person about your benefits. You've had your job for 26 years so it must not be that big of a problem you asshole.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Oxaqata
Why couldn't the parents rescue the kid in the first place?

They did. They got him out of the pool but emergency response was still needed because the kid was not okay.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

Bob

Nice change of tone between your first incredibly stupid post and this less but still stupid post. The parents just pretty much lost their fucking child and all she (and you) can think about is how to complain more loudly than the next person about your benefits. You've had your job for 26 years so it must not be that big of a problem you asshole.

Easy, tiger. I don't agree with this lawsuit, but I don't think cardiac posted anything that particularly defends it, particularly in his second post. He has a difficult, high-stress job that probably doesn't pay a ton, and IMO he has the right to express his viewpoint.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
The officer is on duty, shouldn't the city have something to cover any issues like this?

He said city benefits paid by workers' compensation and some disability checks helped with medical bills, but it wasn't enough.

Why wouldn't it be enough? Makes me wonder if he tried to take extra time off or something and get more out of this than he needed, and is now passing it onto the family because his worker's comp and disability denied him.

I almost posted this story as it made florida newspapers.

The thing that sucks is usually the city will represent the officer and the sued party ends up losing by having to settle.

Remember folks next time your kid is drowning make sure no water is outside the pool. :confused:

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: DonVito
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

Bob

Easy, tiger. I don't agree with this lawsuit, but I don't think cardiac posted anything that particularly defends it, particularly in his second post. He has a difficult, high-stress job that probably doesn't pay a ton, and IMO he has the right to express his viewpoint.

I definitely agree he probably feels that way, but go back and read that post. Instead of showing any type of sympathy for the parents who just lost their child, he says

Unless you've worked for a municipality, you wouldn't understand.

Wouldn't understand what? That this dumbass cop is suing the wrong person?

or how about this:

I am glad you folks are so understanding here, too. Especially without the facts......

What facts? The fact that she knew her benefits ahead of time (as he obviously does), continued to do her job, and then gets pissed when she gets burned? She is suing the wrong person and we don't need more "facts" to make that clear. He is a dumbass.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Unless you've worked for a municipality, you wouldn't understand. Our workers comp and health insurance sucks. If I get hurt on the job, it may not even cover all of my medical bills. She probably was NOT trying to take off extra time.

Also, I have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet. If I get hurt on the job, I get ZERO compensation from the other, part-time, job.

Bob

Thats your job, your choice. Don't fucking sue someone who is 100% innocent cause you broke your knee. I fucking tore my ACL while playing basketball in my subdivision. Should I sue the management of the subdivision? I'll have a hell of a lot more long term problems than this bitch will.

If the city isn't taking care of her medical bills, thats one thing. But to fucking sue the parents of a kid who is brain dead, because she slipped on a puddle of water while DOING HER JOB. Come on. Fuck, that just pisses me off.

I agree. No one is forcing anyone to take a job. Know the risks and what you are looking at going into it not hoping to just sue someone for the difference.

We had really good workmans comp here. One time I slipped on the stairs and hurt my knee while carrying a box of paper down for someone. I could have claimed, probably pulled some shorttime disabliity. Instead I focused on myself being the one responsible not my office. My regular insurance covered my injury. I was out of pocket about $20 + some alleve/sodium naproxin.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst

I almost posted this story as it made florida newspapers.

The thing that sucks is usually the city will represent the officer and the sued party ends up losing by having to settle.

Remember folks next time your kid is drowning make sure no water is outside the pool. :confused:

The city will never represent an employee suing someone for an occurrence during their duties. She has a private personal-injury attorney. In all likelihood this case will be litigated between him and an attorney representing the family's insurance company. Some insurance-company lawyers are scrappers, and it wouldn't amaze me to see this litigated and re-litigated on appeal, as the insurance company would presumably love to get some helpful language from the Florida appellate courts stating that property owners aren't liable for injuries to first responders (I have no idea what, if anything, Florida statutory and case law say on this issue).

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
During her time off she received full medical benefits, worker?s compensation care, her salary and accumulated sick and vacation time during her absence. She has been released for full duty though her injury still causes her some complaint. Officer Eichhorn talked to her supervisors about filing legal action against the family. Her supervisors and the police legal department recommended against this course of action since she was fully covered for her injuries just as any other officer is while in the line of duty and it was an accident.

Everything was paid for. See the orginal post for link to new story.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: tyler811
During her time off she received full medical benefits, worker?s compensation care, her salary and accumulated sick and vacation time during her absence. She has been released for full duty though her injury still causes her some complaint. Officer Eichhorn talked to her supervisors about filing legal action against the family. Her supervisors and the police legal department recommended against this course of action since she was fully covered for her injuries just as any other officer is while in the line of duty and it was an accident.

Everything was paid for. See the orginal post for link to new story.

oh yeah. so what the fuck is she sueing for then? pain and suffering? ahhh thats nuts.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
is she suing the family or the family's insurance company?

doesn't matter, she is a total ass for pursuing this.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: moshquerade
is she suing the family or the family's insurance company?

doesn't matter, she is a total ass for pursuing this.

She's suing them, but as long as they have homeowner's or renter's insurance (which is presumably the case), the insurance company will defend them. You can't directly sue an insurance company, on behalf of an insured, in most instances.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
almost as bad as the 65 million dollar pants lawsuit. how can she sleep at night?

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

Bob

Sue workers comp.
Unionize for better benefits.
Strike w/o a union for benefits. You don't need a union, just enough people.
Get another job.

All of these are acceptable, what you suggest is moronic. Think about the repercussions of being able to sue a home owner for injuries during a fire, for example. Most fires tend to be dangerous, no? It's part of the job.

Why would you take such a risky job that offers no compensation for you or your family if you are injured when the risk is so high?

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Aharami
almost as bad as the 65 million dollar pants lawsuit. how can she sleep at night?

Honestly I don't think this is nearly as bad, though it offends me as well. From her perspective, she may legitimately feel she suffered an injury through the fault of another, and that worker's comp isn't enough to cover her damages. As repellent as the suit itself sounds, her damages will, if they are ever paid, be paid by an insurance company, and the defendants won't pay to defend themselves. The pants case was just an absurd abuse of the legal system with no legitimate basis IMO.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The person is a police officer. Don't they have to face situations like armed assailants? She's suing for slipping on a wet floor? I hope she never has to deal with any other hardships, like issuing a parking ticket. The risk of papercuts is tremendous.

And she's a sergeant too? What other hardships has she endured? A pen running out of ink? Having to drive herself to crime scenes?

You know what, I think I've been injured a few times over the years due to gross negligence by my parents, such as not educating me early on about the dangers of gravity, and associated risks of falling down when attempting to walk. Hell, they let me walk! That crap's dangerous. It put my head really far above the ground as compared to crawling. Given that I now must bear this scar my entire life (I walk every single day), I think I should sue my parents for $1 billion for severe trauma and emotional scarring.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Ya, let me get a mop to clean this water up while I wonder if my 1yo child is going to live or not. And maybe I'll run down to the store and get a "Caution: Wet Floor" sign JUST in case.

What a bitch. She should do herself and her department a favor and off herself... save everyone the humiliation this case will bring. :|

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: FoBoT
she is a scumbag
what jury would give her a dime?

Well Fobot you would be surprised. McDonalds and Hot coffee come to mind

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I hope if that cop is still on duty, that someone puts a bullet in her frickin head. And as for the stupid ass fvckin lawyer, well I hope someone puts a bullet in his frickin head too. That would make the world a better place if these 2 dipsh1ts were 6 feet under.