Another repair or replace thread - 2009 Murano LE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
I have not seen obvious signs of a leak under the vehicle - though I know there is one somewhere because I could feel the issue in the steering wheel and the fluid was very low at that time.

Yeah but a very minor leak that causes a few ounces of lost fluid over the course of the last 20K miles is different than a leak severe enough to cause puddling. You might try to inspect the rack (heh heh) as closely as possible and see if you can find fluid that's leaked out.

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000
Yeah - they were recommending replacing the entire rack. Those parts plus labor were the major part of the quote I received from the dealer. I'm going to take the car to the other shop soon and see if they can rebuild the rack with new seals.

Puddles on the floor? As in on the inside of the vehicle? If so - then no.

I have not seen obvious signs of a leak under the vehicle - though I know there is one somewhere because I could feel the issue in the steering wheel and the fluid was very low at that time.

Take it to the new shop but do not tell them about the rack because you really don't know where the problem is. Dealers are never trustworthy and could tell you anything. Just tell the new shop your symptoms and see what they say.

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
Please don't put that leak stopper stuff.

Those things sometimes can be so hard to flush out. If it's leaking I rather have u leak out normal power steering/atf then stop leak stuff.

I'm curious what seals... I'm thinking those inner boots are torn and not an actual seal on the rack.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Even if the boots are shot the seals shouldn't be leaking that much. I'm sure a bit of seeping is normal.

Kris3

Jan 27, 2013
The fluid leak could be contained in the boot(s) for some time, so you wouldn't see a puddle on the ground until the seal completely gives. It's my understanding that replacing the seals is not the easiest job in the world and requires special tools. I'd personally opt for replacement of the rack, and absolutely do not put any stop leak in the PS system!

I've been through this one before in my 2001 car, and while it does suck to bite the bullet, two years later the steering system is fine.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I had a leak in my 1999 Grand Prix power steering rack and it required a new rack, new power steering pump and a year later a new high pressure power steering pump hose. We used a pump and rack from A1CARDONE .. reasonable cost compared to OEM part and price and it is working very well. Steering is now as tight as day one, when it left the factory.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Good money after bad? I've never understood that kind of thinking. Cars cost money. That's how it works. You have to buy or fix them, and fixing is usually waaaaaaay less expensive.

The car costs less than you would spend on a new one. You need the money for other things. Your wife loves the car. How is this a question? Are you leaving out important information?

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
Agree with the other posters. Keep the car, find a cheaper part and better more reasonable mechanic/shop if necessary.

These things happen and I wouldn't dump the car over repairs on a 2009 model.