Another quarter, another Fannie Mae bailout

totalnoob

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2009
This plus our share of the IMF bailout puts the national debt WELL over $13 trillion.

Print print print!

dxbi9l.jpg

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Too F-n bad I was raised to pay my bills and not over extend my credit. I could be ripping off the middle class right about now.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Plenty of non-minorities bail out of their house loans when it is convenient. They just run up all their credit cards and wonder why they cant pay the mortgage on their 3,000 Sq Ft of house. However, they manage to go to Mexico on vacation, and pay for 2 cars, a motorcycle and a boat.

Where does all the money go . . . . .

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
What do the homeowners have to do with a FNM bailout? If the homeowners can't afford the mortgage payments before, how are they all of a sudden able to afford them post-bailout? Is the government giving the homeowners money to pay their mortgages? If anything, this is a bailout of the investors in the MBS sold by FNM, no?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
What do the homeowners have to do with a FNM bailout? If the homeowners can't afford the mortgage payments before, how are they all of a sudden able to afford them post-bailout? Is the government giving the homeowners money to pay their mortgages? If anything, this is a bailout of the investors in the MBS sold by FNM, no?

IIRC the investors are wiped out and FNM is owned by the Government. Is that not the case?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
The shareholders were wiped out. But the holders of the MBS... I don't think so.

Gotcha. I'm not in the industry and I don't know exactly how it works, but if individual MBS investors are relying on FNM to guarantee the loans, and the Government is propping up FNM, then you're right. I was under the impression that these assets were held long on FNM's books.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
This plus our share of the IMF bailout puts the national debt WELL over $13 trillion.

Print print print!

dxbi9l.jpg

Hey, look. It's Hank Paulson!

Wasn't he the member of the Bush Administration who came up with the plan to pump $200+ billion into the GSEs?

--

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
one real question here is are they only bailing out loans/mbs from > last year? or are the new holdings not performing? if they're still eating shit then someone really needs to get their ass kicked...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Bailing out investors from the Bush era of the "Ownership Society"? Anybody remember that, or how the GSE's were manipulated into making shaky loans to support it, courtesy of their "regulator", HUD? Or all the money that mortgage brokers and investment bankers raked in selling deregulated free market bunk to the GSE's?

What a great deal for the financial elite- buy Uncle Sam's bonds so he can pay off what the GSE's owe on your mortgage bonds... Win-win!