Another Pagefile Question

Chipper2

Jan 16, 2005
HI folks I know pagefile questions are posted all over this forum but id like to try get some help with the pagefile setup on my configuration. I currently have 2x wd raptor sata 36gb drives set up in raid 0 mode with windows xp sp2 installed on the drive (no partitions as of yet).

What I would like to know is whether to have a setup of just my 2 sata as independant drives and then create a second pagefile on the second drive, OR whether my setup is fine :)... OR whether i should still run raid 0 only this time partition the raided drives and create the pagefile on a second partition.

I use my computer mostly for gaming (mmorpg style) and at the moment I am playing everquest 2 which takes a heck of a lot of computer performance to run smooth. I for one love fast loading times and at the mo i get not bad loading times but nothing amazing even though im running 2 sata in raid 0. SO my guess is to find the best way to set up the pagefile.

Any possible help with this kind of setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
1. Use your current setup.
2. Ensure you have enough RAM so that the system doesnt have to do excessive paging.
3. Dont mess with the Windows page file settings.

boshuter

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003
Probably the best setup is to have the page file on a seperate disk...... BUT in reality it isn't going to make much difference, especially if you are running a gig of ram. Putting it on a seperate partion is of no benifit whatsoever. Windows actually does a good job of managing a page file if you just leave it alone. I do set mine to a static size so windows won't be adjusting it. You can do what you want with the raid 0..... if it were me I'd scrap the raid and run them as seperate drives. Unless you are doing some very specific stuff the raid is not going to perform any better than the single drives and you'll have a lot less problems.

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
Pulling them apart could give you slightly better seek times in some situations however it will make a serious reduction in your throughput. So long as you aren?t making a lot of unnecessary seeks to the PF (you have enough RAM) overall you?d still be better off with them in RAID-0 (especially for games that pull big files off the disk while loading, etc.).

Abzstrak

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2000
just leave it alone, you'll never see the difference in the setups... they aren't worth the effort unless you have other motivations you arent vocalizing...