Another one bites the dust

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Just canceled our last scheduled trip of 2020. It was for our 15 year anniversary to a place we love that I found an insane deal for in January. Really I was just holding onto it due to unrealistic hope but with the free cancelation deadline looming it needed to be done.

New hope I'm clinging to: Traveling late next fall

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Yup, my wife probably won't be able to get to her mother's funeral. MIL hasn't got long now by all accounts.

Nov 8, 2012
Can always rent out a cabin in the woods or something as a vacation heh.

I would estimate that the majority of folks here will have a vaccine by end of February, so maybe plan for one by around then?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
This shit just keeps getting worse, i've resigned myself to not being able to travel until mid 2022 at the earliest

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think domestic travel in the summer of 2021 is probably realistic. International besides like Mexico...who knows.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You plan really far out. Travel is going to be so different once it starts back up again. I bet we're going to have to carry our vaccine papers if we want to enter countries and not have to quarantine. And we'll still be required to wear masks on planes, trains, and public areas with people. And flights will cost more.

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Yup, my wife probably won't be able to get to her mother's funeral. MIL hasn't got long now by all accounts.

Sorry to hear that. I missed my Aunt's in May. Doesn't feel great

Can always rent out a cabin in the woods or something as a vacation heh.

I would estimate that the majority of folks here will have a vaccine by end of February, so maybe plan for one by around then?

We're no longer 'lets spend a lot of time outside in the winter' people and driving across a ton of states to a warm area a lot of other people are also headed to escape the cold seems like a bad idea atm

You plan really far out. Travel is going to be so different once it starts back up again. I bet we're going to have to carry our vaccine papers if we want to enter countries and not have to quarantine. And we'll still be required to wear masks on planes, trains, and public areas with people. And flights will cost more.

Often 330 days out to try and snag award space. Vaccine papers probably wouldn't be that hard to do logistically - just another entry in the yellow vaccination booklet that is already used for things like yellow fever

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Going to St. Lucia in April come hell or high water. I gotta get out of NJ!
The last trip I have booked (done during the heady days of hopefulness in May when "We'll do the right things to beat this thing in a year" still seemed possible) is in April but I really doubt that will happen

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I feel for you. Our 25th wedding anniversary is Dec 2nd and we can't do anything. My 50th birthday was last month and we couldn't do anything for that either. Had big plans and *POOF*...who saw a pandemic coming?

Buck up though- imagine the party that's going to happen when the pandemic ends and everything opens back up. 2021 is going to be KILLER!!! (in a good way :D )

Thinking of saving up $5K and surprising my wife with a trip to Rio next December. Hope we're good by then.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I feel for you. Our 25th wedding anniversary is Dec 2nd and we can't do anything. My 50th birthday was last month and we couldn't do anything for that either. Had big plans and *POOF*...who saw a pandemic coming?

Buck up though- imagine the party that's going to happen when the pandemic ends and everything opens back up. 2021 is going to be KILLER!!! (in a good way :D )

Thinking of saving up $5K and surprising my wife with a trip to Rio next December. Hope we're good by then.

Buy her a guitar?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
im optimistic that 2021 will see some turnaround.

I even put my money where my mouth is and bought 300 shares of CCL last friday (against better judgement)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Just posted in the Covid thread but I'm debating cancelling our trip to Tx. We fly out on Friday.

Sounds like the smart call unfortunately ... you couldn't pay me to get on a plane right now especially flying into "mask-denier" territory. (aka: Covid hot-spots)

Live to vacation another day you know? ;)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Sucks, but you did the right thing. Had a camping trip planned with a friend this summer and when Corona started we decided to cancel as well. He lives down south so would have had to fly here and that's kinda iffy. Especially with down south being a hot spot.

Wonder if there are good deals right now for booking trips into the future though, might be worth looking into.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Everyone will be traveling once they are able to. You thought traffic at the aiport was bad before COVID? :eek:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Buy her a guitar?

They (Guitar Center) need money for sure.

Can't travel anywhere oversea right now and in the short term future. A lot of places are closed for tourists/visitors

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Just canceled our last scheduled trip of 2020. It was for our 15 year anniversary to a place we love that I found an insane deal for in January. Really I was just holding onto it due to unrealistic hope but with the free cancelation deadline looming it needed to be done.

New hope I'm clinging to: Traveling late next fall
I was supposed to move 2500 miles away November 9th. We put that on hold because of this mess.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Wife and I are tentatively planning a US vacation for August. I don't think we'll finalize our plans till June.
Wish we had a couple grand more to go to Europe (we love France and would like to go to Italy).

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Sounds like the smart call unfortunately ... you couldn't pay me to get on a plane right now especially flying into "mask-denier" territory. (aka: Covid hot-spots)

Live to vacation another day you know? ;)

Yup. We had a family meeting with the kids and we all decided to post-pone the trip. At this time we have until 7/14/21 to use the tickets so we're now looking at spring break or early summer. We may even just use the tickets to meet my sister in Disneyworld instead of Tx lol. My bro-in-law said where they're at almost everyone is masking up and trying to keep social distancing but they understand us wanting to postpone till things hopefully get better.