Another midseason NBA poll: who will be MVP?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The problem is the NBA MVP is a joke since it's voted on my the media. They need to have three awards, one "MVP Media Choice" one "Coaches Most Valuable" and "Player's Most Valuable" I bet there are many, many times where the players and coaches MVP would be the same, yet different than the media MVP. The media picked mvp is a popularity contest. The coaches and players know who the best players in the game are, and they know right now Kobe is that guy. In a recent SI poll, NBA players voted Kobe Bryant the most intimidating player in the NBA. He got 35% compared to 12% for the 2nd place guy, Shaq who got votes because he's frigging huge. Kobe got it because he scares the shit out of defenders, because they know they can't stop him.

essasin

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Baron Davis! I do admit, I am biased but without him we are far worse than any team without their star player.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: trmiv
The problem is the NBA MVP is a joke since it's voted on my the media. They need to have three awards, one "MVP Media Choice" one "Coaches Most Valuable" and "Player's Most Valuable" I bet there are many, many times where the players and coaches MVP would be the same, yet different than the media MVP. The media picked mvp is a popularity contest. The coaches and players know who the best players in the game are, and they know right now Kobe is that guy. In a recent SI poll, NBA players voted Kobe Bryant the most intimidating player in the NBA. He got 35% compared to 12% for the 2nd place guy, Shaq who got votes because he's frigging huge. Kobe got it because he scares the shit out of defenders, because they know they can't stop him.

http://fannation.com/blogs/post/153977
not sure if it should be separate, but probably should add them.

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: essasin
Baron Davis! I do admit, I am biased but without him we are far worse than any team without their star player.

I dunno, Davis is so hot and cold sometimes ... I think the fact that Jackson and Ellis are stepping up and hitting their shots is really helping them.