Another game with no Ati AA support out of box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I was playing Activisions "Singularity" and noticed I could not have AA in game.
I looked up some reviews and saw that this is yet another game with no Ati AA support.
Whats going on at the Ati camp?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/02/asus_ares_dual_5870_gpu_video_card_review/6

"Unfortunately, anti-aliasing is not currently supported on AMD-based video cards in Singularity. It is not actually supported in-game at all, but with NVIDIA video cards, gamers can force AA from the NVIDIA control panel. With AMD video cards, control-panel AA currently doesn’t work."

Your "concern" is touching, but this thread will not result in anything productive
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't see the point of these threads.

If the game makers are getting lazy these days why bag on ATI for it.

If nvidia wants to force it then more power to them!

Why not make some thread like " Game makers in conspiracy with nvidia " no AA unless you have a nvidia card....Would be more interesting to read!

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I'm not saying who's at fault, but why is it that it's always Ati that dosen't have AA enabled? It must have something to do with Nvidia supporting the programmers better?

Why not make some thread like " Game makers in conspiracy with nvidia " no AA unless you have a nvidia card....Would be more interesting to read!

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Clearly it is ATI's fault game makers don't implement AA for their cards...

It seems silly for game makers NOT to implement a feature for ATI cards when ATI seems to hold more market share ha?
It's like shooting yourself in the foot.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I'm not saying who's at fault, but why is it that it's always Ati that dosen't have AA enabled? It must have something to do with Nvidia supporting the programmers better?

How is it supporting the developers when there is no in-game option for AA with Singularity for nvidia cards?

It's more accurate to say that nvidia is putting more effort than ATI is into working around lazy developers to allow forcing AA via driver hacks.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Clearly it's not ATI's fault, but it is nice for NV card owners that NV is picking up the slack where game devs are falling short.

WHo is responsible for it working on Nvidia cards? Nvidia or the game maker? Or is it all just guessing, and we never really know?

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Supposedly the latest Catalyst beta drivers have this feature (or its being worked on). ATI released some statement when SC2 was released saying it was too big a performance hit and they wouldn't implement it until Blizzard does, but there was too much hew and cry about it. Basically, they're going Nvidia's route now and letting the user decide if forced AA is worth it or not.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Catalyst-driver-Starcraft-SC2,10992.html

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Supposedly the latest Catalyst beta drivers have this feature (or its being worked on). ATI released some statement when SC2 was released saying it was too big a performance hit and they wouldn't implement it until Blizzard does, but there was too much hew and cry about it. Basically, they're going Nvidia's route now and letting the user decide if forced AA is worth it or not.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Catalyst-driver-Starcraft-SC2,10992.html

Oh, this was about the game "Singularity".

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Clearly it is ATI's fault game makers don't implement AA for their cards...

These comments are fairly hilarious.

ATI and Nvidia are in competition in a business. Regardless of what the game makers do or don't, the hardware must also set itself apart to be more competitive and have a more desirable product.

Translated to the cars. It's clearly not XYZ manufacturer's fault for not having traction and stability control on their cars, and the driver's fault for not knowing how to properly drive it right?

Just having the additional feature that makes up for deficiencies in those that utilize their products makes for a great competitive edge.

Is it ATI's "fault"? Hell yes, for not being as competitive in this area. However, overall, ATI has been very competitive and gaining huge marketshare, so I don't think anyone really cares.

Well, except me, because I can't stand ATI drivers.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
It's actually sort of ATI's fault. If what I read about SCII is accurate. The vendor has to provide a solution because of the way deferred rendering works in DX9.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
WHo is responsible for it working on Nvidia cards? Nvidia or the game maker? Or is it all just guessing, and we never really know?

If you read your own OP, the devs are being lazy and not adding AA to their games (same as with Blizzard / Starcraft), then nvidia is adding a hack to their drivers to force AA outside of the games' code.

From the Starcraft thread this isn't as reliable as if the lazy game devs made the effort to add in-game AA. That thread mentions visual glitches from the driver-level hacks to "fix up" the rendering code in the game.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
If you read your own OP, the devs are being lazy and not adding AA to their games (same as with Blizzard / Starcraft), then nvidia is adding a hack to their drivers to force AA outside of the games' code.

From the Starcraft thread this isn't as reliable as if the lazy game devs made the effort to add in-game AA. That thread mentions visual glitches from the driver-level hacks to "fix up" the rendering code in the game.

OK , So it's fair to say Nvidia went the extra mile for there customers.
ANd ATi is just as lazy as the game developers.

Thats just my point ATi is #1 now, but in this area they are not on top of there game.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Let's just say " Why implement AA in game when nvidia will just force it " after all they did give us $????'s to help in developement costs. " Wouldn't be fare if we told ATI " before the game is released.

Not pointing any fingers but kinda seems like it's the easy way out for the game makers. Or is it some kind of conspiracy between them and nvidia?

I know it's sometimes hard to resist the fanboyism for some of the regulars on here.

I think things like this should be more geared towards the developer of the game. Why not spend the time asking them wtf why no AA in your game? I'd think that either the developer is lazy or that the performance hit wasn't worth it in the visual upgrade.

Isn't that why they make consoles in the first place....Put game in and it plays with the what you see is what I see :)

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
I don't think 'lazy' is the correct term.
There are dozens of ways of implementing a rendering backend with proper AA.
The question is: why do they insist on using DX9, and then using deferred rendering?
As I said before, it's an anachronism.
It can't just be coincidence anymore if so many developers pick this particular option out of all the possibilities.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Let's just say " Why implement AA in game when nvidia will just force it " after all they did give us $????'s to help in developement costs. " Wouldn't be fare if we told ATI " before the game is released.

Or possibly ATI dosen't put forth any real effort and says "put it in a driver hot fix later"?
It's all just guessing at this point.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
OK , So it's fair to say Nvidia went the extra mile for there customers.
ANd ATi is just as lazy as the game developers.

Thats just my point ATi is #1 now, but in this area they are not on top of there game.
Why is it that you consider ATi lazy just because some game developers aren't implementing AA in-game? For the umpteenth time, it's ultimately the responsibility of the game studio to include these features, not the video card manufacturers.

Are you going to blame Eidos if Nvidia doesn't fully support 3Dc texture compression? No, of course not. So stop trying to blame the hardware manufacturers for the shortcomings of the software manufacturers.

So much for:
happy medium said:
I'm not saying who's at fault
:rolleyes:

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
What other game doesn't have AA on ATi, when nVidia has? Batman has been beaten to death by now and the code path is in the game (and not driver-level), sponsored by nVidia.

So... "yet another game with no Ati AA support."? How is that not a bait expression?

Not to mention, the CCC force is apparently coming in a future Catalyst update...

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I don't think 'lazy' is the correct term.
There are dozens of ways of implementing a rendering backend with proper AA.
The question is: why do they insist on using DX9, and then using deferred rendering?
As I said before, it's an anachronism.
It can't just be coincidence anymore if so many developers pick this particular option out of all the possibilities.
If it's not coincidence, what would you say it is? I myself am not sure why devs are suddenly not implementing AA, when this has been practically a standard for modern games for quite a time already.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
It's your own original post. You pulled that quote.

What the heck are you talking about guessing for? The game devs don't do the work. nV has a workaround that is apparently not flawless in execution. ATi doesn't take that route until they see consumer reaction.

If we're going to talk about speculation, why not guess if developers are going to pull their heads out and add AA implementation to their games, since gamers seem to want it so bad they're willing to use outside-of-the-game driver hacks to get it?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
SO basically, its the game developers fault that AA is supported out of box on Nvidia hardware but not with ATI hardware.
ok, Gotcha, thanks, that answers that question.

Status
Not open for further replies.