Question Another 4k TV for a monitor HTPC confusion Help?

LIT4

Feb 20, 2004
Im trying to run a new 4k HTPC BUILD on a 55"4k TV@120hz

My current TV setup on my HTPC is 60hz 4k TV

(Ive been watching 1080p via VLC etc on this old rig because my video/mobo won't support 4k out)

I am building a new 4k RIG
my TV until upgrade:
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2017-uhd-smart-tv-mu6300

Currently am upgrading to a NEW 4k BUILD and that is where I get lost...

HTPC builds are cheap , anything from 600 to 1200 hi end range using integrated graphics or 1660 TI etc

some builds:
https://techbuyersguru.com/1250-high-end-home-theater-pc-build
suggests i5 core intel

I am getting so lost here
I am NOT GAMING just 1080p and 4k movies fed off my PC
but heres the thing because everything is saying most monitors don't support 4k 120hz etc until you step up to something like this..

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/bfgd-big-format-gaming-display/ @ $4,000

But Im running a TV which isn't supposed to have good refresh rates

IF I buy an OLED @120hz 4k will it be supported by one of these builds etc? DO I need a better graphics card? do I need a gaming monitor?

I am so confused

AGAIN My GOAL is to have a 4k server that feeds 4k signals to a 4k OLED 120hz capable TV etc , clear, crisp, theater type experience

Last edited:

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
IF I buy an OLED @120hz 4k will it be supported by one of these builds etc

the tldr on 4k 120hz, is that you need to wait for new graphics cards with HDMI 2.1 support.

Currently, you have to use HDMI 2.0 which can't do 4k120hz without doing 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.

The new LG OLEDs SHOULDN'T have problems with new GPUs and 4k120hz, but it hasn't been tested yet as far as I know, since the GPUs don't currently exist.

The new Navi cards don't have HDMI 2.1, and the new Nvidia Super cards don't either.

So that means you're waiting at least until whenever a new series of GPUs launch, likely months away.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
If you are not gaming, why are you concerned with high refresh rates? What movies do you have that is recorded at 120Hz? Film is 24Hz, video is usually 30 or 60 Hz.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you are not gaming, why are you concerned with high refresh rates? What movies do you have that is recorded at 120Hz? Film is 24Hz, video is usually 30 or 60 Hz.
This. Why do you need 4K120, if not gaming? Pre-recorded content isn't really at that res/refresh rate, that I know of, at least.

LIT4

Feb 20, 2004
why would I build an entire new rig that can't even push 4k @120hz? a screen pushing 120hz on 2.1 is better than a screen pushing 60hz is it not?

LIT4

Feb 20, 2004
""https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what-is-the-refresh-rate-60hz-vs-120hz
WHEN DISPLAYING 24 FPS CONTENT
While a 120Hz TV doesn't inherently produce better motion, it can provide a few advantages over standard 60Hz TVs. One of the most important advantages is the ability to play back content that is meant to be displayed at 24Hz. Most TVs, including 60Hz TVs, can simply adjust the refresh rate of their panel to fit the source, but some devices (such as Chromecast) can only output at 60Hz, regardless of the content being played. This can lead to issues since 24 is not a multiple of 60Hz. To display this sort of content, a technique known as a "3:2 pulldown" is used. Basically, the frames alternate between being repeated 3 times and 2 times. Not everybody notices this, but it causes some scenes, notably panning shots, to appear juddery. 120Hz TVs can avoid this entirely since they can just display each frame 5 times. Some 60Hz TVs can manage to do it, but if this is an important feature for you, you will probably have to get a 120Hz model. Learn more about judder and our related tests, and see a list of judder-free TVs.

WHEN DISPLAYING 120 FPS CONTENT
If your TV supports a 120Hz input, and it is connected to a PC or Xbox One, then this is where having a 120Hz TV can be a strong advantage. While it is rare to find content other than games with this frame rate, there is a significant impact on the perceived motion.

Another place where 120Hz is useful is if you enjoy the motion interpolation feature found on TVs (also known as the soap opera effect). Most TVs have this feature, even 60Hz ones, but since motion interpolation works by adding generated frames between existing ones, having a higher refresh rate allows you to have twice as many extra frames. This allows the TV to make better interpolated frames as it can spread the movement into more precise steps.

Another useful feature of a higher refresh rate is the ability to use motion interpolation on 60 fps content. Since they cannot display more than 60 frames per second, a 60Hz TV can't use its soap opera effect feature on content with higher frame rates. A 120Hz TV has the advantage of being able to add an additional interpolated frame between each of the 60Hz ones, since it is capable of displaying twice as many. Unless you have a 120Hz TV, you will only be able to use this feature on 24p or 30p content.

..and so on, I want 120.....and more

Last edited:

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Read the article again. It seems you don't understand it. All the processing is done in the TV, not the computer. You don't need to feed a 120Hz signal to the TV in order for it to do its thing.

LIT4

Feb 20, 2004
OF COURSE YOU DONT HAVE TO FEED IT A 120HZ signal , and what do you mean you think the processing is done in the TV? OF course the TV is going to "Process" and do something to a signal . BUT what do you think a GPU or PC is doing to a file? YOur logic makes no sense to me IT seems like by what you think is happeneing I coudl feed any signal to a TV and its going to make it the best picture ever, because it is processed there. that makes no sense, thats almost laughable

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about, and don't seem to want help. I should wish you good luck, but I won't.

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry