"Anon delivers scans of scientology staff training manual"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
turns out that leaked video was from 04?
eh...
as for scientology...
seriously... how many people are blowing themselves up over other religions?

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: Injury
As stated previously, the amount of priests actually accused was well below what you may believe.

Wrong-o Zippy. That 0.2% the Catholic Church likes to feed to their easily fooled followers is a blatant lie. It takes every priest who has ever lived and used pedophilia stats from a VERY narrow timeframe. In the real world its 2% to 5% in some areas. That's 2% to 5% WHO HAVE BEEN CAUGHT!!! That's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. The sad truth about sexual predators is that most are not caught. The full depth of the ongoing crimes will never be known because most victims don't come forward. So it might be 10% or ever higher. But even if you take only those we know about and make the ridiculous assumption that they were the only ones it's still as much at 10 times to 50 times more than the Church wants you to believe.

You really should take a few seconds to educate yourself about the atrocities committed by your own religion. Then you might have something intelligent to offer in a thread instead of the sad and pathetic shouts of "TROLL!!!" everytime somebody uses FACTS to bring up something that you're trying to pretend never happened.

The facts are the facts. It's 2% to 5% of priest who HAVE BEEN CAUGHT. Deal with it. And instead of whining when somebody mentions those facts why don't you direct your cries of outrage towards those who perpetrated the crimes and the absentee god who allowed them to happen instead of getting mad at those who mention it. That's the really disturbing part about you folks who have been brainwashed so thoroughly. You're not mad at the priests or at god, you're mad at the people who remind you about it.

Regardless, your post would have been much better used with the information you gave here rather than mudslinging. Your change of my quote was nothing but an insult, bucko-roosky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R...tholic_sex_abuse_cases

.2%. You're welcome to post something else that could shed some alternative light here and back yourself up.

If you want to include "those who haven't been caught" you can also take away for those "wrongly accused".

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
This thread isn't doomed to fail and degrade into a flamewar or anything. :roll: (which it pretty much already has)

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Couldn't you argue the same thing about the church of scientology?

maybe what they're doing "today" isn't valid, but in 1000 years from now?

I don't know enough about the CoS to make a valid opinion, and skimming through wikipedia just makes me go WTF. that said, they haven't impacted my life in anyway and don't bother me so I could care less.

No, you can't. Scientology was something a guy "made up" in the 50's in order to make money. It uses brain washing techniques and cultism to gain members, and I'm not aware of any cause for helping humanity that Scientology has helped progress.

1000 years ago, we were a brutal civilization. There were no "world" rules, no human rights, and governments were dominated by self righteous kings that were interested in nothing more than wealth and keeping power. They kept power by keeping the people uneducated and poor. If a king got wind of someone that could cause an uprising, he would order the person imprisoned or even killed in a hideous manner on a whim. NONE of this would fly today or most likely anytime in the foreseeable future. We've evolved a lot in the last millennium, and I'm sure we'll continue to grow, but the foundation of human rights will place us in higher regard than our 1000 year old ancestors.

touche.

It uses brain washing techniques and cultism to gain members,

Can you elaborate?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: Injury

Errmmm... I'm not sure what misconceptions you may have about the Catholic church, but a lot of the money they take in they turn right around and give back as out of court settlements to those they've molested.

Fixed it for you.

The Catholic Church's primary concern is the financial health of the Catholic Church. Their giving back to the poor starts only after they've paid for their lawyers, their victims, their stained glass, their gold fixtures and their infrastructure.

You are a complete and utter uninformed idiot. You've taken bits and pieces of things you've heard around the news and seen when you've driven by a church and made some kind of warped conclusion.

Take a look at this website and stop believing in things you would "like" to be true for some reason.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Ns1

I don't know enough about the CoS to make a valid opinion, and skimming through wikipedia just makes me go WTF. that said, they haven't impacted my life in anyway and don't bother me so I could care less.

No, you can't. Scientology was something a guy "made up" in the 50's in order to make money. It uses brain washing techniques and cultism to gain members, and I'm not aware of any cause for helping humanity that Scientology has helped progress.

1000 years ago, we were a brutal civilization. There were no "world" rules, no human rights, and governments were dominated by self righteous kings that were interested in nothing more than wealth and keeping power. They kept power by keeping the people uneducated and poor. If a king got wind of someone that could cause an uprising, he would order the person imprisoned or even killed in a hideous manner on a whim. NONE of this would fly today or most likely anytime in the foreseeable future. We've evolved a lot in the last millennium, and I'm sure we'll continue to grow, but the foundation of human rights will place us in higher regard than our 1000 year old ancestors.

touche.

Can you elaborate?
People joining Scientology are often brought in by a "surprise" meeting (I keep picturing Han Solo walking into Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back). The "candidate" is often denied any access to media (TV, newspaper, books, etc) during their initiation- which can last several days or even weeks, and they're convinced to keep a lot of secrets because of their importance (and the fact people might be able to convince you else-wise while you're being trained).

Basically, they weaken your mind by isolating you, weaken your will through time, then they're left open to impress their ideas into you.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

touche.

Can you elaborate?
People joining Scientology are often brought in by a "surprise" meeting (I keep picturing Han Solo walking into Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back). The "candidate" is often denied any access to media (TV, newspaper, books, etc) during their initiation- which can last several days or even weeks, and they're convinced to keep a lot of secrets because of their importance (and the fact people might be able to convince you else-wise while you're being trained).

Basically, they weaken your mind by isolating you, weaken your will through time, then they're left open to impress their ideas into you.

interesting. sounds very cultish to me.

maybe they'll /themselves and the problem will fix itself.

NGC_604

Apr 9, 2003
The difference is catholic priests won't sue you and try to cripple you financially if you make fun of their religion or talk bad about it. They won't be happy, but you won't need to watch over your shoulder either.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

touche.

Can you elaborate?

If you want to learn about Scientology and some of the garbage they've pulled in the past, check out Operation Clambake. I read it several years ago, and it's quite amazing what they have done to their critics, who are typically former members, including what they do on a continuing basis to the operator of that site.

You're not mad at the priests or at god, you're mad at the people who remind you about it.

I get mad at those who tout these purported figures about the Catholic Church while blithely ignoring that any such problems exist within other religions. One of the news programs did a report about Baptist churches (I think it was) and sexual abuse and found information which seemed to point to a problem AT LEAST as large as the Catholic Church's.

Did it ignite a firestorm of inquiries or result in national media attention? Nope. Why? It's still acceptable to discriminate against Catholics, especially as a monolithic entity. The shameful aspect is that such an environment is allowing sexual predators within Protestant churches (and others, assuredly) to escape the same glaring spotlight that shone on Catholic priests.

And GagHalfrunt, you're a bigot.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Scientology pretty much sums up all my arguments against organized religion to the T.