Annoying fsking fly in my house - best way to capture the bastard.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I feel ya... these damned things like to fly into our house when the door is open for a mere 5 seconds at times. I've dealt with quite a few over the years. The most frustrating part is that they look to get the fug out as soon as they're in... oh the irony. They love the light (or at least try going there to go out)... oh the irony - they just flew into a dark doorway, leaving the brightness of the outside world (WTF ?!).

First, I'd like to say I hate squishing insects. I hate having to clean up the mess (how does anyone not???) Anyway, there's a couple things. After a day or so, it WILL get too tired to fly. I had one land on my desk and I tried to shoo it away and it hardly reacted... I took a CD bundle cover (those tall cylinders), got it trapped in there, and actually flicked it into the toilet and it swirled away. RAID works great here too... if you can spray directly on them while they're still, its seen the last 10 seconds of its life.

The other method is to make only 1 part of your house really bright - let the sun shine in only that room and leave the window open (assuming you have a screen). Once it makes its way onto the screen, close the window. Your problems are over. Bring the vacuum a couple days later.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
I still like the orbital nuke option. It seems like the most reasonable approach.

Shame

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2001
My cats located, stalked, murdered, then ate the fly I had in the house earlier...

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
they sell these awesome electrified fly swatters in india, about the size of a squash racquet...wave it around the air and electrify the mofos

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I used to wait (sometimes quite a while) for them to land, then when they finally did I'd try to swat them but they'd be too fast... So I learned to hit them. Just give em a good whack midair. Something stiff with a lot of surface area works best, like a magazine, though a towel can work. This way you can get them right away rather than waiting for them to land. Sometimes if you swipe hard enough you don't even have to hit them, the turbulence from a near miss can disorient them. Either way, the fly should be stunned on the floor now. Step on it before it gets its bearings.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Wait until it lands. For best results, wait until it starts cleaning itself with its legs - they only do that when they don't sense an immediate threat.

Move in closely, with your hands about 10" apart, with the intention to clap. This is easier if the fly is cleaning itself, as it feels more at ease when doing this, and so isn't quite as alert for potential hazards.

Get your hands on opposing sides of the fly, so that when they meet, they'll do so right above it.

Clap quickly, ensuring that your palms completely contact each other - leave no void in the middle, as the fly will survive in this air pocket, if this is where it ends up.

As you clap, the fly should see your hands approaching and take off, putting it right in the path of the danger it was hoping to avoid.
Squish.

Just slapping a fly might not always work, because they move and react a lot quicker than a person. So I developed this clapping method to take advantage of the simplistic nature of those quick reactions.

:thumbsup:

Jeff7 is right ... you can catch any fly this way. The hands moving in from each side mesmerize the fly, and they don't know what to do. You don't even need them to be 10" apart ... and you can get the little bastard nearly 100% of the time.

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
You could tell it you want to make peace and then send it a blanket with small pox on it.

alternatively just seal off the section of the house it's in with cement.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I just use a rolled-up newspaper and just swing at him in the air. Usually, you can whack him against a wall which either kills him or stuns him where you can finish the job.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: K1052
I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

:thumbsup:

Any sticky sugary substance will work. Honey or syrup is good for this.

wnangle

Mar 14, 2007
We live in the country and with kids; there is always flies or mosquitoes in the house. How many nights of sleep do you have to lose swatting a mosquito buzzing around your ear? Anyway, the best way we have found to take care of all these flying pests is to put a cheap bug zapper in the house. During the day it doesn't do much good, but at night, when all the lights are out, you?ll hear the 3 or 4 zaps that would have kept you up all night. Ours also serves as a night-light.

NOTE: Dressing up in a fluorescent scary mask and shirt around small kids with just the black light bug zapper on can really really scare them!!

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Once at Summer camp a long long long long time ago we sprayed an annoying fly with hair spray to immobilize the hairs on his back. After his motion detectors were frozen and we could mess with him at will, we drowned him with Hai Karate.