Annoying classmate keeps calling for computer help...

human2k

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
So out of my buddies I'm the computer guy, I give them advice. So this classmate of one my friend's ask for help about what parts he should buy for a new rig. So I helped him out on MSN and made him a list of parts from newegg/outpost for a high end Intel gaming system. I tell this dude that I can build and tweak his rig for $100 which is pretty dirt cheap. He tells me "ok", but the next day I see him at school and he changed his mind. So I'm totally cool with it knowing that I helped someone in building a sweet rig. Now this idiot is calling me for help, first it started off about installing the HSF, now its on to installing WinME. I told this idiot that since he had 1gb ram he couldn't run WinME without editing system.ini file, so I told him to install WinXP, he said "ok". Just today the idiot calls me asking why WindowsXP doesn't see his hard drive correctly. It turned out when he was installing WinME he was messing around with FDISK, which doesn't support large 120gb drives.

Now what should I do? Tell the idiot to stop calling me? I'm a pretty nice person.:)

BTW this is the rig: (he recieved the parts from newegg/outpost last wed)

Antec Black Chassis w/Smartpower 350W
Abic IC-7 Canterwood chipset
512mb Kingston Hyper-X PC3200 x 2 (1gb total)
Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHZ OEM Multi-Vid Stepping C1 (I confirmed this over the phone with him)
SLK800U w/ThermalTake SmartFan II
Artic Silver 3
ATI OEM Radeon 9700 Non-PRO
Soundblaster Audigy 2 OEM
WD 120GB SE w/8MB Cache
Black Floppy
Black Liteon DVD
Black Liteon 52xcdrw
Round cables
Micrsoft Keyboard/Mice

LuDaCriS66

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Oh yeah.. try being the only computer guy on your floor of a dorm. :)

Um.. keep helping? ha

Jan 31, 2002
Penetrate him with a sharp object? Pour water on him?

What do you think, genius? Either tell him to get bent, or start charging him for your repair time. :p

- M4H

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: theNEOone
tell him that you'll fix all his problems for $200.

Either this, or tell him this will need an expert, and that you know someone but that it won't be cheap.
If he agrees, call a fellow computer geek, get him to drop by his appartment and fix it in 30 seconds, then ask for payment :p
He'll feel ripped off, and with some luck will call someone else next time.

Darien

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2002
Originally posted by: LuDaCriS66
Oh yeah.. try being the only computer guy on your floor of a dorm. :)

Um.. keep helping? ha

It has it's positives. Everyone had to treat me nice because I was the only computer guy on my floor :)

tell him that you'll fix all his problems for $200.

Bingo.

MacGaven

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2002
Is this a girl? No, OK.

Tell him to the get the fvck away from you and stop calling, or if he wants your help to start rolling out the cash.

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
well if you want to get rid of him, just tell him to turn on his comp, unscrew the casing to his power supply, find the nicest copper rod he can find and shove it into a psu capacitator. That should temporairly solve the problem.

LuDaCriS66

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
It has it's positives. Everyone had to treat me nice because I was the only computer guy on my floor

Yeah it was cool and all. I didn't mind helping and such... there were just the couple of people I had to go back to over and over again.. especially this one girl who used an old IBM Aptiva... too many problems.

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
i guess it's always hard to tell someone off, but tell him you just don't have the time to fix all his problems. esp since he turned down your help once ($$$), it should be easier. and he's not a close friend anyway which would make it even more difficult.

easier solution? stop answering the phone or get caller id. :D

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
btw you do NOT want to be "the computer guy." do whatever the hell you can to get out of that role. people just use you for help and tech support. why do it? it's not like chicks dig it.

Radiohead

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2001
Are you a non profit organization... or some sort of computer support charity? :p

money talks

Tret

Golden Member
Feb 6, 2003
I always keep my mouth shut about knowing a lot about computers i dont like helping people out alot.

human2k

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Radiohead
Are you a non profit organization... or some sort of computer support charity? :p

money talks

To my close relatives I'm "computer support charity":(.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: sygyzy
Being the "computer guy" is only cool when you help girls.
Why? Is that the only way you can close enough to a female without soiling yourself? :D

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Well, you did tell him that you would build it for him, so just extend the offer again. Do not help him if he doesn't give you the money. Or just say that tech support is $50 an hour how can I help you. He is installing winME... tell him that he can go and get a a better os or you won't help him.