Ann Arbor

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Coming out to work on a contract. NW part of city (per MapQuest)

Any feedback on the area.

Will be looking for furnished place to stay; ethnic eats; low cost entertainmnet, etc.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
...is a whore.

Couldn't help it.

I love AA though, great city. The only advice I could really give involves sports or bars. You won't find a city with more culture, so there are plenty of opportunities.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
...is a whore.

Couldn't help it.

I love AA though, great city. The only advice I could really give involves sports or bars. You won't find a city with more culture, so there are plenty of opportunities.
lol

I agree. The time I visited Ann Arbor, I was in a stretch Hummer with 12 Buckeye fans, blasting OSU music while hanging out the windows. We drove around campus all morning before the game. The lawn parties threw numerous beers at us. It was awesome fun.

Still, almost everyone we talked to was really nice, and the campus is beautiful.

And besides, it's not even a rivalry anymore. Fighting a crippled kid isn't even fun.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
I lived in SEMI till I left in 1997. Most of it was in either Ypsi (town immediately to the east) and Ann Arbor (also Westland, Redford and detroit).

Ann Arbor is probably one of the best cities to live and work in the area. It's been rated a few times as one of the best places in the country to live. I can't cite anything, but just take that for what its worth. The U of M is a top rated major university and the city has grown around it.

Downtown is immediately adjacent to the University campus. The "diag" is the greatest place to hang out and people watch I've ever seen in the world. There is a hippie/grassroots feel to the area, lots of festivals, and if I'm not mistaken - on or around the 20th of April they still do the Hash Bash. Theres a couple malls around, if your not from the midwest - Meijer is the store of choice vs. Walmart. They are a decent company at least a notch above the walmart, and I miss it down south here.

Very good restaurants pretty much everywhere. It's a college town so there is a LOT of housing available. I don't think you'll have any problem with that. They don't typically do agents for renters so its sort of look around and call and go visit.

There really isn't a *bad* part of town that I can recall. Public transportation is fair - the AATA bus service gets you to most of the major work areas, but I highly recommend you bring your car.

Last edited:

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
If you have any interest in a place that serves tons of good interesting beer, local and otherwise, definitely go to Ashley's. I'm not even a big beer fan and I loved it.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
...must...resist...

I see I wasn't the only one...

...is a whore.

Couldn't help it.

DAMMIT I got beaten to the punch. :( :awe:

But yes, it is a great city. Personally I really think Columbus has some amazing culture too if you shop around the different areas. Also, I hear Austin might have both schools/cities beat. My sis moved out to San Antonio and pretty much agrees Austin is amazing. SA is sort of that way too, a little of everything. I enjoy it when I visit out there.

Too bad that Ann Arbor is such a great town, and Columbus is such a great town... and what's this here shit-hole Toledo doing in-between... oh right, I'm stuck here at the moment. ha

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Hitch-hiking across the country for the first time in 1972, I ended up in Ann Arbor.

Amazing.

The law had just recently been changed so as to allow college students legal residency to vote where they went to college and Ann Arbor had elected an "all-freak" city council, which promptly made weed a ~$5 misdemeanor which the cops then did not bother enforcing.

Now, I grew up in the more crowded East, and wasn't used to towns the size of Ann Arbor having such a substantial "big city" downtown, which comes about because towns out then there served a wider adjacent populace.

And so it was with JOY in my heart that I came across a wide circle of hippies openly smoking dope in the amazingly wide sidewalk (8-10 feet wide in my memory) smack dab in the middle of downtown AA while Mr. and Mrs Jones had to walk AROUND them. :biggrin:

Yee-haw!

Then my ride, a professional groupie, got me backstage at the Ann Arbor Blues Festival, where I was "introduced" to none other than Miles Davis. He looked right through me and did not really even acknowledge me, but still.

BONUS FACT: While still in HS, The Univ. of Mich. sent me, unsolicited, an offer of four years free and full tuition if I attended. It just came in the mail. I didn't even know what or where Ann Arbor was, and both my parents and I totally disregarded it.

Turn out that the U of M was trying to bootstrap their status then and had apparently mass mailed these out to every single National Merit Scholar that year.

My father was determined that I go to a really "good" school, and I was determined to go to a small one. Neither of us knew anything about AA or the U of M, so I went to Swarthmore instead.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
I can't believe no one mentioned going to Zingerman's Deli...seriously it's expensive as all fuck but some of the BEST sandwiches, brownies, cookies, bread you'll ever eat.

If you go one place in Ann Arbor goto Zingerman's. As far as other restaurants, just use Yelp there are tons of ethnic places. I work in Ann Arbor(at UofM) and live only 30 minutes away so if you need advice on restaurants just PM me. If you are willing to drive the metro detroit area there are some great restaurants and places to visit.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
One other note about Zingerman's, expect to spend between $11-20 for a sandwich. No joke. It's also a place to go if you at least can appreciate high quality ingredients. And last it's usually a mad house, so either go first thing in the morning or the middle of the afternoon, as in not normal meal times.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
One other note about Zingerman's, expect to spend between $11-20 for a sandwich. No joke. It's also a place to go if you at least can appreciate high quality ingredients. And last it's usually a mad house, so either go first thing in the morning or the middle of the afternoon, as in not normal meal times.

Try Jerusalem Garden For high quality and cheap middle eastern cooking.
Love it.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
As an aside to Zingerman's Deli is Zingerman's Bakehouse where you can get all the breads and sweets. It's right off State and I94 in a row of warehouses.