Anita Sarkeesian is a fake gamer, proven now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Who is she and why should I care?
A YouTube link doesn't get everyone excited any longer.

A girl built a platform to advance her career / notoriety on the pretense of being something she was not (a gamer).

One of her proofs of misogyny and sexism in the gaming world are negative comments made under her YouTube videos. (Logic that presumes that anonymous comments left in high-traffic internet hot-spots is representative of *any* specific community as a whole. FAIL.)

In other words, you shouldn't care.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Who is she and why should I care?
A YouTube link doesn't get everyone excited any longer.

She raised 160k on kickstarter to do a "documentary" series on sexism in games.

She only asked for 6k, basically it blew up into a storm because people jumped on the bandwagon.

She put out very few videos over a long period of time, leading people to question whether she had anything to say or was just squandering the money. For anyone that was skeptical of her from the start it was obvious that she was going to run out of things to say really quickly being nothing more than a womens studies parrot. But she deflected by turning the issue into a professional victimhood thing where she claimed she was under attack on the internet, so she shut down all comments and the rest on her videos. Mostly this was to avoid criticism and just avoid the fact that she was not producing any worth while content.

When a few videos did trickle out, people caught her stealing lets play footage from other youtubers, and many statements in her videos revealed she didn't have anything more than a wikipedia/cliffs notes knowledge of the games she was talking about.

So yea, its mostly about the whole feminist/white knight hysteria over this one. You know its bad when wired magazine, a publication that usually does in depth articles on subjects puts out puff pieces like this on her. http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/08/ap_alphageek/

Why care, mostly because she was promoting toxic thought, while hiding behind professional victimhood. She was legitimizing her tactics of trying to win arguments by claiming everyone who dared disagree with her were all part of a group of trolls sending her threats. and she was getting away with such nonsense in the main stream media. Of course the games press is all cowed on this issue and has been for a while, ryan perez lost his job just for questioning felicia day.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Wow, she looked much better with a few more pounds, and actual hair for eyebrows.

I'm surprised this hasn't already inflamed OT or P&N. She's someone you shouldn't have to care about, but that you will not be able to ignore. She uses standard cherry-picking then strawman-ing methodology to make her points, preaches to her choir, and masterfully deflects criticism.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
And? The video shows her talking about how she isn't into the video game "fandom", and she doesn't enjoy games with shooting and gore in them. And that's fair enough for her, not everyone enjoys that stuff. That doesn't invalidate experiences like playing Super Mario Bros. as a kid or what have you. I've watched Star Trek since I was a little kid and still enjoy watching it, but I've never dressed up, been to a convention, etc. I'm not part of that community. Am I a fake Star Trek fan now?

The video essentially assumes the standard for being a "gamer" is to be a part of the community and to play shooter games. That's a false standard if I ever saw one.

She raised 160k on kickstarter to do a "documentary" series on sexism in games.

She only asked for 6k, basically it blew up into a storm because people jumped on the bandwagon.

She put out very few videos over a long period of time, leading people to question whether she had anything to say or was just squandering the money. For anyone that was skeptical of her from the start it was obvious that she was going to run out of things to say really quickly being nothing more than a womens studies parrot. But she deflected by turning the issue into a professional victimhood thing where she claimed she was under attack on the internet, so she shut down all comments and the rest on her videos. Mostly this was to avoid criticism and just avoid the fact that she was not producing any worth while content.

She "claimed" she was under attack on the internet? She was under attack on the internet. People vandalized her Wikipedia page, spammed the comments section of her videos into a wasteland, and someone even went as far as to make a Flash game on Newgrounds about literally punching Anita Sarkeesian's face until it was all bloody and bruised.

Now, I don't really care for Anita's work myself. What snippets I've heard of it I don't really agree with. More fascinating than what Anita had to say was apparently what the gaming community had to say back to her. Abuse, rage, harassment, and more abuse. The rage started just because of her Kickstarter program, before she had even posted one of her "Tropes vs Women in Games" videos. They were reacting to the very idea that some woman thought *gasp* maybe a good number of games don't portray women ideally, and she was going to talk about it. Well, we can't have that, the community thought!

And in their efforts to criticize Anita for just wanting to talk and effectively trying to shut her up, these people made Anita bigger than she had ever hoped. If people hadn't bombarded her with the hateful language, Wikipedia vandalism, anti-Semitic slurs, etc., etc., well...she wouldn't have the ammunition to turn it into the professional victimhood thing that you seem to think she did.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...4-Anita-Sarkeesian-The-Monster-Gamers-Created

Why care, mostly because she was promoting toxic thought, while hiding behind professional victimhood. She was legitimizing her tactics of trying to win arguments by claiming everyone who dared disagree with her were all part of a group of trolls sending her threats. and she was getting away with such nonsense in the main stream media. Of course the games press is all cowed on this issue and has been for a while, ryan perez lost his job just for questioning felicia day.
"Toxic thought"? There's this thing called "free speech". The way a lot of Anita's opponents come across is that she has no right to be talking about this at all. No. Go ahead and criticize the actual content of her videos once it gets out, I'll be right beside you. And the bit about her using other peoples' footage, criticize her for that too. But hatred and abuse just for wanting to talk about the issue at all? No. Count me out of that.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
She "claimed" she was under attack on the internet? She was under attack on the internet. People vandalized her Wikipedia page, spammed the comments section of her videos into a wasteland, and someone even went as far as to make a Flash game on Newgrounds about literally punching Anita Sarkeesian's face until it was all bloody and bruised.

Now, I don't really care for Anita's work myself. What snippets I've heard of it I don't really agree with. More fascinating than what Anita had to say was apparently what the gaming community had to say back to her.

And in their efforts to criticize Anita for just wanting to talk and effectively trying to shut her up, these people made Anita bigger than she had ever hoped.

Here is where I tend to take issue with both both your (and her) implication that "the gaming community" attacked her.

She made wide-sweeping generalizations based on the lowest form of communication we have on the entire internet --- the anonymous comment. So she takes these comments and says "Hey, these are THE GAMING COMMUNITY. Look how evil they all are!"

Anybody who posts ANYTHING that generates lots of views or attention gets the same vehement trolling from the same nameless, faceless masses of YouTrolls.

The fact that she insinuated that it represented an entire community of us is nothing less than insulting, and the more you start hurling insults, the more you're going to be attacked from every direction on this merciless medium.

She also appears to be a big fan of that tired logical fallacy of "If you disagree with anything I represent, you are an x." (for example.....if you disagree on my views or methods in any way, it is simply because you are sexist, misogynist, anti-Semitic, etc..)

This is a card played by those who lack objectivity and respect for differing views, in an attempt to use mindless horde pressure to make the opponent afraid to oppose. If you can't back up your views with logic and respect for your opposition, you shouldn't be surprised when people discredit you and don't respect your position.

Last edited:

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
2xRdKAt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.