Animals’ Right to Privacy Denied by Wildlife Documentaries, Says Researcher

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Another gem from East Anglia...

Okay, WTF are they smoking at this school? Seriously?

Animals’ Right to Privacy Denied by Wildlife Documentaries, Says Researcher

NewsCore

Animals filmed for television wildlife documentary series are denied their right to privacy, a leading U.K. academic claimed in a report that emerged Friday.

Dr. Brett Mills of the University of East Anglia in Norwich, southeastern England, analyzed the behind-the-scenes footage of the BBC documentary series "Nature's Great Events."

The series followed animals such as polar bears, African elephants and humpback whales during epic annual environmental events. Mills examined the way in which the animals were filmed and concluded that animals, like humans, have a basic right to privacy that the documentary filmmakers ignored by filming their most intimate moments.

He said that the show's producers only considered the mechanics of filming, using the latest equipment to capture previously unseen natural events, and did not take into account the ethics of broadcasting an animal mating, giving birth and dying.

Mills' report, published in the latest edition of Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies, claimed that this is speciesism and that in order to make a successful wildlife documentary, filmmakers must inevitably deny many species the right to privacy.

However Piers Warren, the founder of interest group Filmmakers for Conservation, disagreed with Mills' claims.

"How can you say whether an animal wants to filmed? No animal will understand the concept," he said.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh I am for protecting animals from abuse. But come on this is venturing into the compulsively insane. Animals do not have the same sense of privacy as humans. They will happily mate, poop, and die wherever they please.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
[Mills' report, published in the latest edition of Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies, claimed that this is speciesism
Are you SURE this isn't an Onion article? I practiced some tasty speciesism this morning. I <3 the tasty murder of pigs.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I agree that this is ridiculous. However, it's equally ridiculous to attack an entire university based on one idiot's viewpoint. You never would have posted this except you see it as a way to poison the well on the climate-gate issue by posting something completely unrelated by someone at the same university. Every university has at least a few nutcases. Some of them are just louder than others.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
UK is like Atlas Shrugged coming to life, though I'm not sure who the real-life Dagny Taggart is yet.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
So amused, do you post such extreme views as counterbalance your own idiocies?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
UK is like Atlas Shrugged coming to life, though I'm not sure who the real-life Dagny Taggart is yet.
I would say the UK is more like some twisted bastardization of 1984 and Atlas Shrugged. At least in the US, we're not quite as 1984-ish yet...

Last edited:

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
Dagny was a device to slow the plot so that more speeches could be crammed in - and in the intended order. If reality were to actually go down that road, you don't want her around.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
clive_anderson_facepalm.jpg

Yes, even Clive Anderson does this.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
He's not even a scientist for gods sake. Probably a PHD in media studies or somethings similar.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
"Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies" I bet if you actually thumb through that journal it is pack full of unbelievably horrible "research" thrown together to make a name for someone and to help out their publication numbers. When I was in grad school, I quickly learned to just eliminate articles based on the Journal because they were all crap.

And this:
He's not even a scientist for gods sake. Probably a PHD in media studies or somethings similar.