Angus Young (ACDC) vs Slash (GnR's)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Angus Young. Because I'm sick of anything Guns & Roses. ACDC actually had plenty of talent and were great at their genre.

Whenever I think of Slash I think of Axel. Axel reminds me of a cry baby. Especially in the User Your Illusion albums where his lyrics resembled temper tantrums and crying about how his mommy just stood by while his daddy abused him as a child. WAAAAHHH I hate my mommy WWAAAAHH. WAWWAAAHH I hate YOU WWAAAAHHH WWAAAHH i hate the WORLD WAAAHHHh

imported_Scourge

Dec 19, 2005
I like ACDC more than GNR, if just because GNR only had one great album. Use your illusion was decent, and their covers were awsome(Knockin' on Heavens Door!), but they only had one great album. ACDC though, they had 4-5. Back in Black, TNT, Highway to Hell, Who Made Who, Dirty Deeds, etc. Sure, they just made the same basic album 15 times, but it never got old.

That said, I like Slash more than Angus. Angus might be the better showman, and he plays a better riff than does Slash, but it all comes down to the solo. Slash can dominate in that regard, and he does have more style than pretty much anyone alive.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
wow 28-28

I have never thought Slash's solo's have been that good, just to make sure can anybody name some of his best?

imported_Scourge

Dec 19, 2005
The second solo in November Rain. Give that a listen.

Edit- But hell if I know... just listen to that song.

It did so!

JDrake

Banned
Dec 27, 2005
You have reached YouTube, the premier digital video repository on the Internet. We are currently rolling out new changes to the site.

We'll be back as soon as we figure this out...

ahhhhh

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Angus is real. Even if part of his act, is an act, it feels like it's something he came up with, so it's genuine.

Slash might be real, but it's hard to tell what is real and what is record company hype. slash always seemed a bit too much like record selling hype to me.

I'm comparing them more on performance than playing ability, I don't think their playing ability has much to do with their popularity.

letdown427

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
Voted Slash. As a guitarist, I'd say Slash is the better player, and I prefer is solos too. I don't listen to Guns n' Roses much, but of the two options, I prefer Slash.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Slash is an incredible guitarist. Angus Young isn't all that great, but has a talent for making "hooks" (catchy guitar phrases that you latch onto during a song). He mostly plays power chords and pentatonic scales in nearly every song.

Hands down, Slash wins.

letdown427

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Slash is an incredible guitarist. Angus Young isn't all that great, but has a talent for making "hooks" (catchy guitar phrases that you latch onto during a song). He mostly plays power chords and pentatonic scales in nearly every song.

Hands down, Slash wins.

Yep. Well, I wouldn't say Slash is incredible, but yes, that is a correct diagnosis of Angus.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Both Slash and Angus bring it. I've been a huge AC/DC fan, with Bonn Scott fronting them especially.

"Better" guitarist is a tough one. Neither is a technically gifted guitarist IMO, but both are genius at delivering their particular sound. Both are instantly recognizable by me as a long time guitarist, especially Angus, but I'll give Slash the technical edge because he simply gets more variety from his solos, simple as that.

Angus hasn't comprimised his sound since I first heard AC/DC many many years ago. I remember well the knock on them back then was that they used but 3 chords for all their songs. Several albums later, not a bad album..none with Bonn Scott. I still listen to them all the time. IMO, the Brian Johnson fronted version comes up a bit short by comparison , but Angus himeself has been steady.

The first time I heard Guns and Roses, Slash's guitar was like a breath of fresh air from the stagnation that was rock at the time. His straight up, classic style was a nice diversion from the hordes of speed metal crap, and just plain lack of good hard rock. It seems like everytime I've heard him play, I just "get it" and so does he.

Who's better? Are you kidding me, they are both Great in my book. I won't pick one over the other.

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
I have to go with Angus....He has proven what he can do for over 30 yrs now....plus he uses no pedals like most guitarist do....not sure if slash does. Can't wait for AC/DC's latest to come out

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: mooseracing
I have to go with Angus....He has proven what he can do for over 30 yrs now....plus he uses no pedals like most guitarist do....not sure if slash does. Can't wait for AC/DC's latest to come out

what do u have against pedals?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Knowing what I know about guitar playing, Slash is an EXCELLENT techical player. Angus is better at riff making, but actually a poor technical guitarist. They're both good in their own right.