Android's NFC support is kinda lame

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
The S3's S-Beam "augments" the normal Android Beam, by using Wifi-Direct for large files instead of using bluetooth. I'll guess in the next version of Android, Google adds the Wifi-Direct support to the native Android Beam.

Yeah. This is one of the few times where the 3rd-party version is better than what is built-in the "Google" version of the OS. The file transfers using Android Beam are too slow to be useful, but using wi-fi direct would make it way better.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
They definitely don't around here :\

Too bad too. Of course Google Wallet doesn't even support my device so it wouldn't matter.

any place that has the credit card beam instead of swipe capabilities NFC will work.

works the same way.

I never swipe cards anymore as it wears them out.
use the beam chip on them and just hold them close.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yes, it does work with Nexus 7.

Yup, I use it very often to send pics, links, etc, from my Nexus S to my 7 and vice versa. Really handy.

I've used Google NFC payments on my Nexus S a handful of times. It was cool to show off but not more convenient than using your card.