Android full screen video question

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Coming from an iphone for quite a long time and moving to Android with an s22 ultra for a while I'm getting used to how things work. One thing that I was sort of used to on iPhone was when I put a video in full screen say from YouTube it would pop up in portrait mode first and I had to rotate the phone to landscape to get it to play that way. On Android it plays landscape only. Some videos depending on resolution and whatnot can look bad or too small in landscape mode and are better in portrait view. Is it possible to play the video in portrait at all when in full screen.

Basically I would like to view some videos in portrait mode without the comments section and other parts of the webpage visible. Possible or no? Like I said I am learning Android again after leaving more than 10 years ago.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Odd. On my s22 ultra if I start a video on youtube in portrait mode it plays in that mode, if I turn it over to landscape it switches. But they always start in portrait. As for turn off the bottom half in portrait, I wish.

Mar 11, 2004
For the most part it actually works like you expect, but I've noticed every so often when fullscreening a video it'll default to landscape even when the phone is held portrait. I'm not sure if its a flag set by YouTube (maybe the channel on upload?) or what. I think I've gotten it to go to portrait mode sometimes though, so it might not be that.

Is this in the app or via a webpage? I watch YouTube on Firefox. Also this is on an LG V60, which is why I think there's possibly a flag set by the channel that dictates that.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Odd. On my s22 ultra if I start a video on youtube in portrait mode it plays in that mode, if I turn it over to landscape it switches. But they always start in portrait. As for turn off the bottom half in portrait, I wish.
Right the video will play portrait initially but that is not "full screen".

To put it another way on iPhone when you press full screen and are viewing in portrait it will not automatically switch to landscape. You get full screen video with no commentary or description etc, just a black screen around the video. The s22 does it rather the android OS does switch to landscape. If a video is filmed in portrait mode then it will not switch automatically. Just different functionality that I was used to. I can adapt but would have changed this if possible just for familiarity.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
For the most part it actually works like you expect, but I've noticed every so often when fullscreening a video it'll default to landscape even when the phone is held portrait. I'm not sure if its a flag set by YouTube (maybe the channel on upload?) or what. I think I've gotten it to go to portrait mode sometimes though, so it might not be that.

Is this in the app or via a webpage? I watch YouTube on Firefox. Also this is on an LG V60, which is why I think there's possibly a flag set by the channel that dictates that.
Thanks. Yeah I did get it to not switch once I think but I don't know exactly how. This is via the app but webpages also work similarly. It's easier to use the phone one handed if it didn't switch to landscape.