Android: Ad blocker for Chrome browser?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Android chrome sucks.
It doesn't block much ads.
Ie: inc and slate websites

I can't find an ad blocker add-on in Play store for Chrome similar to that of Chrome desktop.

Any help?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Looks like you can't add extensions for Android Chrome. This article suggests using another Chromium based browser that allows extensions. I haven't used any of the suggested browsers.

The Chrome webstore does carry Ublock Origin and it's what I use on Firefox desktop along with Noscript just like CP5670.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Change your dns servers in android to adguard

or

dns.adguard.com

depending on what your android version asks for.

Reactions: bigboxes

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

or

dns.adguard.com

um.. how do i do that?

and will that work on my windows desktop as well?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
um.. how do i do that?

and will that work on my windows desktop as well?
Poke around in your android settings. On my motorolas, it's in Network & internet, under the private DNS settings. My samsung isn't in front of me right now. It's fairly old, and the dns settings weren't obvious to me. It took awhile to find them. A web search will help if you run into problems. Maybe try "set dns android" as a search term. I'm not really a 'phone guy', so I don't know if specific settings locations vary between different manufacturers.

It'll work anywhere you can set dns. I haven't used windows in > 10 years, but poking around the network settings should find where to change dns.

Here's the adguard main page if you want to checkout how they work, and what they offer. There's paid services also, but basic dns is free...

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Poke around in your android settings. On my motorolas, it's in Network & internet, under the private DNS settings. My samsung isn't in front of me right now. It's fairly old, and the dns settings weren't obvious to me. It took awhile to find them. A web search will help if you run into problems. Maybe try "set dns android" as a search term. I'm not really a 'phone guy', so I don't know if specific settings locations vary between different manufacturers.

It'll work anywhere you can set dns. I haven't used windows in > 10 years, but poking around the network settings should find where to change dns.

Here's the adguard main page if you want to checkout how they work, and what they offer. There's paid services also, but basic dns is free...

Thx!
Worked for Android chrome.
Inc site no longer so ad ladden.

But didn't help with news.yahoo.com.
I hate reading that site on my phone.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use firefox on android. Specifically fennec-fdroid; a light fork of firefox, and also have ublock-origin installed. I also don't use many random apps from the play store. I think the count is 3. IOW, using adguard dns is mostly redundant for me cause I don't typically access ads in general, so I don't know exactly how effective it is on a naked phone.

There's also apps that use the vpn functionality of android, and create loopback that blackholes ad server requests. I used to use dns66. That'll protect the whole phone against ads also, but it uses the vpn slot, so if you run a regular vpn, it won't work. You get one vpn. Either block ads, or get privacy. You can't have both.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I use firefox on android. Specifically fennec-fdroid; a light fork of firefox, and also have ublock-origin installed. I also don't use many random apps from the play store. I think the count is 3. IOW, using adguard dns is mostly redundant for me cause I don't typically access ads in general, so I don't know exactly how effective it is on a naked phone.

There's also apps that use the vpn functionality of android, and create loopback that blackholes ad server requests. I used to use dns66. That'll protect the whole phone against ads also, but it uses the vpn slot, so if you run a regular vpn, it won't work. You get one vpn. Either block ads, or get privacy. You can't have both.
and i got adguard dns working on my laptop.
thx!

blocks stuff while in incognito mode without allowing ad blocking extensions access to incognito mode

Reactions: lxskllr

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

or

dns.adguard.com

hm.. for each wifi my laptop connects to, i have to change dns for each one of them?

also, when i'm on my free vpn, it blocks ads and pop-ups that gets by 'adblock plus'.
but free vpn has a data limit. :(

got anything that blocks pop-ups?
(cant disable java script because it disables usability of that website)

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
hm.. for each wifi my laptop connects to, i have to change dns for each one of them?
Each device has to be setup with dns, but it should work for all connections.

I don't know of an easy way to block popups. I don't get them, but my stuff's pretty locked down, and locked down means it's a PITA to use. If this is a site you frequent, you could try NoScript in permissive mode, then selectively find the script causing popups, and blocking it. You can also use ublock in medium or hard mode, and do the same thing. Selectively block elements to get the functionality you want.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Brave is basically Chrome with ad blocking and the bad bits left out.

But the correct answer is use Firefox!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Poke around in your android settings. On my motorolas, it's in Network & internet, under the private DNS settings.
On my Android 13 Motorola, I can use DNS.adguard.com Instead of the #s