Android 7: Some files accessible in file manager not accessible via MTP (PC USB connection)

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I back up my phone by just telling apps to export data (or whatever backup feature it has) then transfer those files via USB to my PC. I've been doing this for years, and for the most part it works.

I've just transferred some bits of data (phone contacts vcf, sms backup & restore data, threema backup data), but hit a snag with my 'Note Everything' app data backup. This drops a database backup file and normal text files for all the text notes I have in it, but for some reason I can't access these files via USB despite being able to see them by exploring the filesystem through the Settings app. They're definitely in the phone file system, but not visible via USB.

As I'm writing this, I'm trying different things like copying the folder to another location then picking that up, but the MTP connection always seems to be a step or two behind the live filesystem (such as me renaming two folders before connecting USB yet they still have their old names after connecting).

Rebooting the phone did the trick, but I find it a bit odd that I'd need to do that for the sake of grabbing one bit of data when the other bits worked fine (and I'm sure I've had this problem before). Any ideas?